• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Wheels & Tires

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My math:
For a city-only driven Elio (49mpg), at an average cost of $2 per gallon of gas, the Elio will cost $0.0408 (4.08 cents) per mile.
If these wheels improve city mpg by 3, totaling 52mpg city, then the Elio would cost $0.0385 (3.85 cents) per mile, for a difference of 0.23 cents per mile.
Thus, the Elio would have to drive 2,608,695 miles in order to recoup the cost of the carbon wheels. If you put the average of 12,500 miles-per-year on your Elio, then I calculate it would take just 208 years to pay them off :p

However, that number would shrink significantly if a) the milage improvement was much greater, b) the cost of gas was much higher, or c) the wheels became much cheaper

skygazer6033

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Where did you get 3 Seth? I was thinking more like 1/4 of 1 mpg and thought I was being generous at that. If you were able to reduce total weight by 100 or 150 lbs. you might see measurable results but the weight savings of three carbon fiber wheels would probably be inconsequential. Since the Elio is already very light and aerodynamically slick it's going to take a lot of effort (and money) to improve.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
My math:
For a city-only driven Elio (49mpg), at an average cost of $2 per gallon of gas, the Elio will cost $0.0408 (4.08 cents) per mile.
If these wheels improve city mpg by 3, totaling 52mpg city, then the Elio would cost $0.0385 (3.85 cents) per mile, for a difference of 0.23 cents per mile.
Thus, the Elio would have to drive 2,608,695 miles in order to recoup the cost of the carbon wheels. If you put the average of 12,500 miles-per-year on your Elio, then I calculate it would take just 208 years to pay them off :p

However, that number would shrink significantly if a) the milage improvement was much greater, b) the cost of gas was much higher, or c) the wheels became much cheaper
Where did you get 3 Seth? I was thinking more like 1/4 of 1 mpg and thought I was being generous at that. If you were able to reduce total weight by 100 or 150 lbs. you might see measurable results but the weight savings of three carbon fiber wheels would probably be inconsequential. Since the Elio is already very light and aerodynamically slick it's going to take a lot of effort (and money) to improve.
:argue: why? :tsk: can we just call a truce?:yield:

CrimsonEclipse

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Correct,
The best way to improve MPG is through aerodynamics.
The minuscule weight savings (both static and rotational) combined with questionable aerodynamics would be a minimal advantage.
Even with weight savings, it would only improve acceleration, which would only help city mileage which most consumers completely ignore.

Total weight savings would net 5-10lb at best.

In addition, the different driving characteristics of a carbon fiber wheel would require suspension tuning to compensate for the different rigidity of the CF wheels.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Correct,
The best way to improve MPG is through aerodynamics.
The minuscule weight savings (both static and rotational) combined with questionable aerodynamics would be a minimal advantage.
Even with weight savings, it would only improve acceleration, which would only help city mileage which most consumers completely ignore.

Total weight savings would net 5-10lb at best.

In addition, the different driving characteristics of a carbon fiber wheel would require suspension tuning to compensate for the different rigidity of the CF wheels.
... except aerodynamics matter little in city driving. For that, it is much more about driving technique and weight.

Top Bottom