• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Wheels & Tires

wizard of ahs

Elio Addict
Reaction score
From the few examples I've seen, a muscle car with rather large rims would save 10-15 lb per wheel or 40-60 lb for the whole vehicle. (normally the rims for those vehicles run around 60-65lb

So I'll go out on a limb and say an even 33% weight saving for the wheel (just for conversation sake)
I'm guessing the Elio wheels are about 15lb per wheel (assuming steel) so keeping the 33% reduction. 5 lb per wheel means a total weight savings of 15lb.
Would still take "forever" to recuperate your $$$$$$

CrimsonEclipse

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Before jumping on the carbon fiber bandwagon, how much weight savings could there even be? Even a stamped steel wheel as small as the Elios can't weigh much. How about time proven aluminum? Those probably don't weigh much at all. Yeah, I know: every unsprung ounce matters. But, how much?

(I forgot to reply to the Aluminum part)

Aluminum is a good replacement for looks and relatively simple manufacturing. Likely less weight savings that with CF, but still ok.

My biggest concern is failure mode and the ability to be repaired.
Steel will deform. Hit a curb and you might be able to hammer it back into shape. (I have)
Aluminum, however, needs to be replaced after damage and is more likely to crack if you try to bend or work it back into shape.
(I tried it with a 16" Toyota Supra wheel at a tire shop. it cracked to hell... made a neat GONG sound tho)

If you're going to have the wheel covered up, stick with the cheap steel wheels
If you're going for the open fender version, use the aluminum or even CF (if price is no object)
Just don't buy either thinking that you're going to make a difference in performance/efficiency that will pay for itself.

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
.........Just don't buy either thinking that you're going to make a difference in performance/efficiency that will pay for itself.

You are right about the "efficiency" part. Most of use would get better ROI (return on investment) by changing our eating habits. I know it wouldn't hurt me to loose 20 or 30(+) pounds! :ballchain:
But, If you are the type who enjoys better acceleration, changing from steel to aluminum (maybe 30% lighter?)"should" result in both, better acceleration and braking. Because "rotational mass" is reduced. Better than just taking the same amount of weight from other areas of the vehicle.
My hope is that the wheels EM uses are already in production (and not proprietary to the Elio)...better chances of finding reasonably priced aluminum wheels. :high5:

wizard of ahs

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Aluminum is a good replacement for looks and relatively simple manufacturing. Likely less weight savings that with CF, but still ok.

My biggest concern is failure mode and the ability to be repaired.
Steel will deform. Hit a curb and you might be able to hammer it back into shape. (I have)
Aluminum, however, needs to be replaced after damage and is more likely to crack if you try to bend or work it back into shape.
(I tried it with a 16" Toyota Supra wheel at a tire shop. it cracked to hell... made a neat GONG sound tho)

If you're going to have the wheel covered up, stick with the cheap steel wheels
If you're going for the open fender version, use the aluminum or even CF (if price is no object)
Just don't buy either thinking that you're going to make a difference in performance/efficiency that will pay for itself.
How about old school baby, open fender, cheap steel wheels and baby moons :p

m0zn_3TKilGZJA4MZcWVcqg.jpg

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I was wondering if the black skirt part of the standard fender can be removed. I think the right wheels in the standard fenders would look pretty cool, but possibly also custom skirt pieces to give the standard fender an alternative design without much added expense (I'm thinking aftermarket).

CrimsonEclipse

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You are right about the "efficiency" part. Most of use would get better ROI (return on investment) by changing our eating habits. I know it wouldn't hurt me to loose 20 or 30(+) pounds! :ballchain:
But, If you are the type who enjoys better acceleration, changing from steel to aluminum (maybe 30% lighter?)"should" result in both, better acceleration and braking. Because "rotational mass" is reduced. Better than just taking the same amount of weight from other areas of the vehicle.
My hope is that the wheels EM uses are already in production (and not proprietary to the Elio)...better chances of finding reasonably priced aluminum wheels. :high5:

Although the reduced rotational mass DOES increase acceleration and reduce braking distance, I doubt you'd notice it on a blind test (meaning you drive both without knowing which one had the CF or alu wheels)

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That's funny. My Dad worked with a guy who raced AMC Pacers (I think). Anyway, this guy easily weighed 4 bills. They'd sit there and cut circles in the door sheet metal on the inside to save weight to help Don cut down on his 1/4 mile time but you'd NEVER catch Don skipping on a meal to drop some weight to help the team. Nope... Drill out all the door panels and save 4 lbs. Pass the burgers. I need a couple more of those!

Come to think of it... (not my weight) a 240# (that's the pound sign, not a hash tag) driver would constitute about 15% of a 1300# Elio... IF that person dropped a doctor approved 20#, that would cut 1.3% of the total weight of the Elio... OR the weight saving equivalent of 3 $2,000 carbon fiber wheels. Hell, that'd be enough to justify the Skyz system. "Hey honey, I'm going to drop 20# so I can get the Skyz system. It only makes sense." :bolt:

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Although the reduced rotational mass DOES increase acceleration and reduce braking distance, I doubt you'd notice it on a blind test (meaning you drive both without knowing which one had the CF or alu wheels)

I totally agree...IF the weight difference between CF and Aluminum is pretty close. Certainly not worth the price difference, IMO. Upgrading to aluminum, might be worth it...maybe.
Just from my own experience...I had a '94 GMC Sonoma with an "anemic" 2.2L engine (about 130hp). I upgraded the wheels from, IIRC, factory 205 70 15" to Michelin 225 65 16". The overall tire height was identical, but the weight definitely increased by a few pounds. The first thing that I noticed was acceleration suffered. Highway mileage didn't really change, city...a bit. I had driven the Sonoma for over a year and 30K miles before upgrading, so had a pretty good feel for what was normal.
Your results may vary. :sorry:

Last edited:
Top Bottom