• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Where Will You Go First With Your New Elio?

Jayne Shelby

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Is anyone planning a long road trip when they get their Elio? I may attempt a cross country trip to visit some dear friends in California. I am also considering purchasing an enclosed trailer to tote my Elio behind my motorhome. This way I will always have a garage for my baby. The idea here to purchase a trailer just wide enough to drive the Elio and secure her for transport. This trailer would also serve as a mobile solar generator to keep my batteries charged on the motorhome while boon docking. When I get to where I am going I can put down the stabilizers on the trailer, drop the ramp and off I go in and around the local area. Yep, I sure am looking forward to getting my Elio. She will be my last "new" vehicle. Retired now and living on a fixed income so things are tight. The Elio will give me back some spending power just through its' outstanding frugal features. 84 MPG and $6,800.00 - It's a no brainer.

Joshua Caldwell

Staff member
Reaction score
I do long road trips every year, but I do it directly from the car, not towing it. I only wish I had the Elio already, for my Memorial week trip I anticipate spending about $350 on gas, would be only $85 with the Elio.

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Amen . . . And I feel your pain. Taking on a retirement job means I have to go back to commuting after 20 years of working from home, and that could pinch the income I make from the job. It looks like the Elio has a special appeal to those of us of a certain age who appreciate the economics of the vehicle as well as an opportunity to enjoy something close to a motorcycle again - without the consequences of dropping a 800-lb cruiser on ourselves. I can open the windows and sunroof and get a close approximation of being "in the wind" again without having my wife complain. For her, it's watertight and has AC. What more could you want?

Jeff Miller

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I do long road trips every year, but I do it directly from the car, not towing it. I only wish I had the Elio already, for my Memorial week trip I anticipate spending about $350 on gas, would be only $85 with the Elio.
Amen . . . And I feel your pain. Taking on a retirement job means I have to go back to commuting after 20 years of working from home, and that could pinch the income I make from the job. It looks like the Elio has a special appeal to those of us of a certain age who appreciate the economics of the vehicle as well as an opportunity to enjoy something close to a motorcycle again - without the consequences of dropping a 800-lb cruiser on ourselves. I can open the windows and sunroof and get a close approximation of being "in the wind" again without having my wife complain. For her, it's watertight and has AC. What more could you want?

Last weekend I spent $100 on gas to assist with my aging mother; it would have been less than $20 in the elio. I foresee these trips getting to be more frequent and hopefully my elio will get to me in time to realize some of those gas savings.

Last edited:

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The statements above indicate why getting the Elio to market is so important to all of us and speaks to Paul Elio's vision of this vehicle. Go Elio!

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My hope is the Elio will allow me to take the occasional trip because of the savings in gas. I currently only travel away from home for medical appointments and meetings. I don't even take little side trips on the way home from Roseburg. I live in an area of beautiful drives and loved exploring the area when I first moved here. I miss that. Also, the Elio will be my only vehicle. I do love my Elio. LOL :-) Z

Joshua Caldwell

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm the opposite from Z, I plan on visiting every national park in the US, I've been working through the list at 1-2 a year, I drive to the ones less than 12 hours away and that's a lot of miles! Currently, the gas for a 12 hour drive roughly equals the cost of flying to the same destinations.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm the opposite from Z, I plan on visiting every national park in the US, I've been working through the list at 1-2 a year, I drive to the ones less than 12 hours away and that's a lot of miles! Currently, the gas for a 12 hour drive roughly equals the cost of flying to the same destinations.
That's the sweet thing about where I live. One and a half hours from Crater Lake. The same to the Oregon coast. There are a lot of NP and National Recreation Areas as well as monuments such as light houses all along the coast. There is also an Elk refuge on the way to the coast and the little town of Elton has been building a replica of one of the forts along the Umpqua River. Both North and South Umpqua Rivers are known for their fishing. Recreational and National Forest areas abound around here. Many of them on 138 going East to Diamond Lake and Crater Lake from Roseburg and then 138 going West from Sutherlin. Plus there are the wineries, blueberry farms, a Bison ranch on the way to Elkton, etc. This is truly a western paradise. I can't wait to share this area with other Elio owners. LOL :) Z

Last edited:
Top Bottom