• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Why Didnt They Make Automatic Standard?

Marshall

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've always been under the impression that a manual would be the standard offering, and the automated manual (it's going to be the same 5 speed transmission, with an electro-mechanical shifting mechanism) would be optional, and at extra cost. I'm planning on sticking with the 5 speed, but if the electronic shifting of the automated manual is REALLY well programmed, I might go for it, as Tampa traffic really stinks, and my lower body has recently decided it would be fun to experiment with gout.
OUCH!

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Could the auto trans be added/bolted/wired on as a after market solution, say at a Pep boys or a marshaling center?
I asked that question about 2 years ago. The reply that I got was..."internal components are involved/ must be changed..." so, based on that response, (the short answer is...) NO.
The longer answer...(because their have been so many answers (to questions about the "final product") that have changed... We don't know.
In my mind tho, It would be "simpler" to unbolt the shifter assembly (at the trans) and bolt up/connect a "module" on the outside that has all of the solenoids and servo motors. BUT, because it will be computer controlled, they may need to have "sensors" inside of the transmission case. SO, because (there seems to be) a higher demand for the AMT, (logistically) it might be cost effective to have the "internal" components installed in every transmission, and then add the external stuff for the AMT's versions.
A real life example (15-20 years ago) is how GM installed factory alarm systems in ALL of their cars, but only "included" it in the high end models. So, if you went in to the dealership and said, "I want the alarm system installed", they would simply "plug-in" a tiny "jumper" in the wiring harness (5-minutes), hand you the "keyless remote"...and the bill.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I asked that question about 2 years ago. The reply that I got was..."internal components are involved/ must be changed..." so, based on that response, (the short answer is...) NO.
The longer answer...(because their have been so many answers (to questions about the "final product") that have changed... We don't know.
In my mind tho, It would be "simpler" to unbolt the shifter assembly (at the trans) and bolt up/connect a "module" on the outside that has all of the solenoids and servo motors. BUT, because it will be computer controlled, they may need to have "sensors" inside of the transmission case. SO, because (there seems to be) a higher demand for the AMT, (logistically) it might be cost effective to have the "internal" components installed in every transmission, and then add the external stuff for the AMT's versions.
A real life example (15-20 years ago) is how GM installed factory alarm systems in ALL of their cars, but only "included" it in the high end models. So, if you went in to the dealership and said, "I want the alarm system installed", they would simply "plug-in" a tiny "jumper" in the wiring harness (5-minutes), hand you the "keyless remote"...and the bill.

You're talking about the clutch pedal, cable or master / slave cylinder, etc.
Then the shifter and any linkage.
Plus all of the solenoids on the outside of the transmission and sensors and programing in the ECC.
Not an insignificant amount of work.

am_fm_radio

Elio Fan
Reaction score
I think was unfair not to say that in the beginning.

I never learned to drive an AUTOMATIC... Always had a manual. Most motorcycles are manual. My motorcycle is 4 speeds and reverse, and my Truck is 6 speed ZF1 manual transmission. Oh yes, I've been driving 50 years. - Not knowing how to drive a manual transmission is like not knowing how to change a tire, or change your own oil.. Manual transmissions will outlast Automatics every time. I've gone 250,000-300,000 with a manual transmission no problems. I remember being told 50 years ago the Automatic was developed for WWII soldiers returning from war with only 1 leg.... and WOMEN... and that came from an Cadillac Auto Exec as I grew up in Detroit. I was led to believe Cadillac was first to offer an automatic, or so that Cadillac Auto Exec boasted.

Jambe

Elio Addict
Reaction score
"Reservation #: 24230"
Could it be that your listed reservation number is actually your Order Number? We are not that high with SIL reservation numbers yet. Are you ALL In at the $1K level?

Hotscoots

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I remember being told 50 years ago the Automatic was developed for WWII soldiers returning from war with only 1 leg.... and WOMEN... and that came from an Cadillac Auto Exec as I grew up in Detroit. I was led to believe Cadillac was first to offer an automatic, or so that Cadillac Auto Exec boasted.

Invented in Brazil in 1932 , the patent was sold to GM . In 1940 , 40% of all Oldsmobile passenger cars and 30% of all Cadillac passenger cars sold in the U.S. were ordered with Hydra-Matic transmissions.

Top Bottom