• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Why I'm All In

imageon

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Pay me now or pay me later. The sooner the better.
I'd upgrade to a grand only if you believe in your own mind that I will succeed and your really going to get one. I do so I did.
MK

CrimsonEclipse

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Even with $100 all in, it really doesn't push you too far back. I'm guessing that there are around 5000-6000 of the $1000 all in investors.
<<<<<<Like THIS guy
So you may be delayed a month or two.

Also, do not expect 500 cars a day right off the start. There will be growing pains with employees, quality control, suppliers/vendors, etc

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Even with $100 all in, it really doesn't push you too far back. I'm guessing that there are around 5000-6000 of the $1000 all in investors.
<<<<<<Like THIS guy
So you may be delayed a month or two.

Also, do not expect 500 cars a day right off the start. There will be growing pains with employees, quality control, suppliers/vendors, etc
I would like to think employees will be trained, suppliers on board, and quality control measures in place before the first $1000 all in Elio rolls off the assembly line......and/or the first Elio is delivered to Paul Elio.

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I would like to think employees will be trained, suppliers on board, and quality control measures in place before the first $1000 all in Elio rolls off the assembly line......and/or the first Elio is delivered to Paul Elio.
I'm sure the following will ring true with all here who've ever worked in a large factory.

The very "first" Elios will probably be "made" (and put together) by the engineers and a handful of floor workers on the production equipment. No matter how well they come out, they will most likely be set aside, used for extensive testing (yes, even after all the prototype testing), with most scrapped to insure general quality standards. A handful will probably be archived. If I were P.E. and the crew, I would want to stash the first one or two that made it to the back door without falling apart for sentimental reasons.

It takes a while to become really good at any job. That includes administration, actual command and control, routines, floor worker's jobs, tool & die, CNC, general maintainance, system repair, suppliers supplying dead-on parts each and every time (exactly on time), and quality control methods and techniques. How do you "train" employees to do a job well enough to to reach peak, problem-free production, without having them do the actual specific job that's never been done before ? You're talking about co-ordinating 500-1500 people, hundreds of machines and countless supply chains from day one in the massive operation it's going to take to pop 500 and eventually 1000 of these (hopefully as perfect as you and I would like them to be) per day out the back door? Not to mention an "options upgrade" system and point-of-sale operation. I don't care how good of an engineer you are or how many good engineers you've got, it's impossible to foresee and account for all the variables and scenarios before the factory's throttle is pushed "balls to the wall". Thousands of variables and Murphy's law.

If Columbus waited until he and everyone else involved were sure that they'd thought of everything and gotten all the bugs out, someone else woud be credited in the history books for "discovering America". At some point, you've got to throw your arms up, throw the main breaker and learn the rest by trial and error.

Even though P.E. has learned how badly buerocracy wastes opportunity and money in the major auto mfg biz and has a credo that basically say's "I ain't going to be like 'them guys'", I'm sure he still knows that the real show will have normal growing pains. Things (Think, "Didn't see THAT one coming...") will come out of nowhere. I'm sure that they'll have some of the best on top of the overall troubleshooting process, but don't hold your breath for that 1000 quality units per day in the first month or two of "production".

Last edited:

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm sure the following will ring true with all here who've ever worked in a large factory.

The very "first" Elios will probably be "made" (and put together) by the engineers and a handful of floor workers on the production equipment. No matter how well they come out, they will most likely be set aside, used for extensive testing (yes, even after all the prototype testing), with most scrapped to insure general quality standards. A handful will probably be archived. If I were P.E. and the crew, I would want to stash the first one or two that made it to the back door without falling apart for sentimental reasons.

It takes a while to become really good at any job. That includes administration, actual command and control, routines, floor worker's jobs, tool & die, CNC, general maintainance, system repair, suppliers supplying dead-on parts each and every time (exactly on time), and quality control methods and techniques. How do you "train" employees to do a job well enough to to reach peak, problem-free production, without having them do the actual specific job that's never been done before ? You're talking about co-ordinating 500-1500 people, hundreds of machines and countless supply chains from day one in the massive operation it's going to take to pop 500 and eventually 1000 of these (hopefully as perfect as you and I would like them to be) per day out the back door? Not to mention an "options upgrade" system and point-of-sale operation. I don't care how good of an engineer you are or how many good engineers you've got, it's impossible to foresee and account for all the variables and scenarios before the factory's throttle is pushed "balls to the wall". Thousands of variables and Murphy's law.

If Columbus waited until he and everyone else involved were sure that they'd thought of everything and gotten all the bugs out, someone else woud be credited in the history books for "discovering America". At some point, you've got to throw your arms up, throw the main breaker and learn the rest by trial and error.

Even though P.E. has learned how badly buerocracy wastes opportunity and money in the major auto mfg biz and has a credo that basically say's "I ain't going to be like 'them guys'", I'm sure he still knows that the real show will have normal growing pains. Things (Think, "Didn't see THAT one coming...") will come out of nowhere. I'm sure that they'll have some of the best on top of the overall troubleshooting process, but don't hold your breath for that 1000 quality units per day in the first month or two of "production".

Thanks for your observations. They actually follow along quite well with what we have heard and discussed in several threads about the plant start up process prior to officially beginning production as well as with what Elio Motors has stated about how many vehicles will be delivered in the weeks after production officially begins.

We have heard from more than one EM person that there will be another batch of pre-production vehicles which will be produced as part of the plant commissioning and worker training process. As you have also pointed out this is a logical step as the entire process must be tested and employees need a chance to go through all the steps on real vehicles so they can learn their jobs and the engineers can identify and resolve issues or kinks in the process which need to be sorted out. I am sure the very first pre-production vehicle completed on the line will be saved for the Elio Motors collection while some others will be sacrificed for further testing. It would stand to reason that the remaining pre-production models will likely be QA'ed extensively and end up in the marketing fleet for the events they have planned such as the national test drive tour they have already mentioned.

The waters have been muddied by some bad quotes and bad or quick interview answers without time for explanation however Elio Motors has addressed the fact that the production line will not magically start producing hundreds of Elio's per shift on day one but will instead ramp up towards the goals they have set. In this blog post, dated April 11, EM stated that those who made an all-in reservation on that day would have to wait about 5-7 weeks after production begins to receive their new vehicle.
Q. I have an All In reservation for ($100, $500, $1000 etc.), when can I get my Elio?
  • The reservation system is set up to allow for vehicles to be delivered in the following order: $1,000 All In, $500 All In, $250 All In, $100 All In then on to the $1000 Want In, $500 Want In, $250 Want In and finally the $100 Want In group. The date and time your transaction was completed locks in your spot, which includes moving up to a higher level with and upgrade of your All In reservation. It is difficult to forecast when a certain level will get their Elio. The only one that we can “guesstimate” right now is the $1000 All in group because they know their spot in line. If you were to make a $1000 All In reservation today we are estimating that you would receive a vehicle 5-7 weeks after production starts next year.
    http://blog.eliomotors.com/readers-choice-friday/
We happen to have a member, Zarquon, who made his All In $1K reservation on April 11 and his number is 3686 so this gives us some good insight into how slowly EM expects production to ramp up.

Last edited:

fpelsdca

Elio Addict
Reaction score
For me it is like bidding on Ebay, I am watching the total reservation numbers and will place mine very close to 40,000 so I can still reserve $1,000 all-in and get the $6,800 price and the $500 discount. As I understand it (correct me if I am wrong) After the 40,000 reservations, the 40,001, even the $1,000 ones, will follow all the other "All-in" and "Refundable" reservations of all amounts inside the 40,000 reservations. Plus the Price may go up.

I am okay getting the Elio in early to mid 2016. As stated above, let all the bugs be worked out prior to my Elio being built. I expect to be somewhere around the 10,000 number.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Cannot wait to see the prototype. Live in Phoenix and hope to visit the office at 24th street after first of the year. May be there will be a prototype at the office.
Been there. Don't bother, it's a rented office for meetings a few times each week. No Elio employee is even posted there at all times. These people don't waist money where they don't need too. So nothing is kept on display at a static location, not yet anyway.

Top Bottom