• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Why Not Buy A Geo Metro Or 1st Gen Insight?

SandyCWV

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Regarding the original question of "Why not buy a Geo Metro or 1st gen Insight?"
In 2000 I decided it was time to replace the 1986 Honda Civic that had followed me from Arizona to Germany, North Carolina, and finally to West Virginia. I looked at everything that was available and found the Ford Sport Track Explorer. I liked the unique look, the space, the functionality, but mostly the "look" got me to buy one. Several years later (2013) I knew that my wonderful truck may need to be replaced at some point. I again looked at everything available. I don't really like anything that is currently on the market. I would pick something if I had to, but... bleh. Then I found the Elio. :D I like the unique look and the Big 4 expected qualities that go with it. Mostly the "look" is winning again. Made in America is great! If the Elio got 50 mpg, I would still buy it. If the base cost were $10k or more I would probably have to think about it. If it didn't have the roll cage I would not buy it. I won't buy an old Geo just to get good mileage. I won't buy an Insight because they are (IMO) not nice to look at. I hope to get an Elio for a fun commute and travel. I like my truck and will keep it for snow days until I can't anymore. That is my plan, we will see how it turns out.

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Thanks, I am really buzzed about getting this vehicle, gotta say this is the first time I've laid out money for something I haven't sat in yet. I even considered getting 2 and "flipping" one for a profit.
Welcome to the Elio family and to the forum. I had the opportunity of sitting in the Elio last October and was immediately impressed and sent in my reservation as soon as I got home. It is an inspiring and exciting vehicle. The forum will provide you with the latest information, facts, opinions and rumors about the status of the Elio. There are plenty of very friendly and helpful people who will answer any question you may have and you can get hours of entertainment from the forum. Welcome to the Elio experience

bowers baldwin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Welcome to the Elio family and to the forum. I had the opportunity of sitting in the Elio last October and was immediately impressed and sent in my reservation as soon as I got home. It is an inspiring and exciting vehicle. The forum will provide you with the latest information, facts, opinions and rumors about the status of the Elio. There are plenty of very friendly and helpful people who will answer any question you may have and you can get hours of entertainment from the forum. Welcome to the Elio experience
Thanks for the welcome, I jumped in and put money down in November. I probably wont settle on a color until I have to. The wife and the kid are pushing me for blue.

H2odog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
[quote="Horn, post: 17369, member: 983

I could easily get $1500 for it to right person. .....[/quote] I think I hear Mr PT Barnum here somewhere!

[quoteAnd please don't mention throwing good money after bad when as of right now many people are throwing $1,000 at right now is a hope, belief or a dream.....[/quote] That, Sir, is good money on faith, not good money after bad. Did you ever put a dollar I the collection plate at church? Same principle.

Horn

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Don't go to church. The main difference is that if you put a dollar in a collection plate though, there is a good chance that it go towards helping the homeless, helping kids etc. If you are a regular at church and fall onto very hard times, I'm sure the church would help you out. If you give Elio some money and fall on hard times, how hard would it be to get that money back?

I don't give $1,000 to a random person based on hope. Also, I don't give a company $1k based on hope. If so, I would invest in penny stocks. Now this company has a lot more going than a penny stock, but you get what I am saying. Again, why hasn't a big investor stepped up if this is such a steal?

And I'm nothing like PT Barnum. Many people would pay $1500 for a good running mpg car based on just saving gas alone.......I mean many people here are looking to spend $6800 on the elio and its main draw is the MPGs.

Inigo93

Elio Addict
Reaction score
What about a convertible?

Already own a convertible (2012 hard top MX-5). It's not bad on that front but that whole other side of the car just ruins the effect. Full points for wind in the hair but there's no feeling of exposure.

As for the P50... If it would do highway speeds and were made today I'd consider it.

russell ramsdell

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I like the back end -it shows good almost factory looking but the front -take all that bad metal work off -trim the hood ,smooth out the inner fender wells ,add trailor type fenders like on the p-3-also I would buy two motorcycle headlights for each side -like on a morgan car

Top Bottom