• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Why Not Buy A Geo Metro Or 1st Gen Insight?

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Craig, I believe you are confusing coefficient of drag with power to weight. All I've seen on the elio's drag coefficient is that the production vehicle was expected to be sub ".3"

That's pretty slick for a vehicle, since the most aerodynamic road-going Ferrari to date(458 italia) is .330

14090857645_11b946e996.jpg
My kind of car but not in my retirement budget

bowers baldwin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
There are many places that I go that are just not conducive to driving a super-car, classic, or otherwise collectible vehicle. The exotics are not mine but a good friend's, I prefer to tinker and restore/upgrade older vehicles mostly porsches, VWs and BMWs. I think the elio would be a great daily to keep miles off of my other cars and much cheaper to insure day to day. Plus it just looks fun!
Yea looking to semi-retire my classics as well..

H2odog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
So why put $1000 on a car that may not be built when you could put $1000-$3000 on a nice geo metro?
For one thing most of us here share a dream. We dream of what might be and of the day ours arrives. I for one would not even conceive of driving what I consider to be junk. You yourself said you were "fixing a 93 geo metro" Why would anyone throw good money after bad by ixing up a beater? You will never get it back. We, collectively, believe in Paul's dream we are just waiting for that drean to come true. On the other hand, fixing up a GEO Metro to me would be a nightmare and something I would only do if I were not allowed to dream. Elio will arrive!

Inigo93

Elio Addict
Reaction score
FAIL! Many geos had AC and all of them had heat. Also, I can haul an engine in the back of my metro. I can at least stick my arm out of 1 window. Also don't have to wear a helmet in my geo. Again the disadvantage is that there are maybe 10 in the world and who really knows if there will be more....

Poor choice of words on my part. By "none of that" what I meant wasn't so much an itemization of the features but rather the fun of riding a motorcycle. If I can't stick my arms out both windows, it's gonna be tough to compare the experience to a motorcycle.

PhilGoings

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The engine just got built and wasn't ready till after the first quarter this year. They were not having plant issues but the press had made some errors and it seemed like that Elio was having issues. The plant is basically a done deal. Their campaign is unlike any other, I'll give you that. They are probably the first company that has used ONLY social media to get the word out and it's working. We are still a year away from production and yet 16,000 people have said "I want one and am willing to put some of my own money out there to make sure I get one". Now, 16,000 doesn't make a successful car company (does it?) but it is a really good start. I don't have aero numbers but I think they are available. I'm assuming they'll start hiring people when they need. It would be silly to hire a bunch of factory workers to stand around. They won't have a problem finding people a month or two before production starts. They'll have to hire some engineers and some people to move some equipment around and set things up but not all the people.

It will take a small army of skilled tradesmen and outside contractors to get the plant tooled up. When the job is done what usually happens some of that army will end up being the first production employs.

H2odog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Poor choice of words on my part. By "none of that" what I meant wasn't so much an itemization of the features but rather the fun of riding a motorcycle. If I can't stick my arms out both windows, it's gonna be tough to compare the experience to a motorcycle.
How bout out from the elbows down? I think that might work, but UP will be a problem.

H2odog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Dang; what a thread. :) I’ll drive my Corolla until the Elio arrives. Hope it’s not too long getting here ‘cause, like I said, I’m old… :)... Also - did a quick edit, I read that Honda and Toyota just came out with (or upgraded) a 1ltr engine recently. Expensive I imagine but they are out there; not that Elio should use one but other makers are going the small-engine route big-time now also.

Hang in there man! You might be getting there but you aren't old yet. There are several of us that have a few years on you. Your Elios will be here sooner than you know and you and your son will be out touring like a couple of 25 year olds, but hopefully a bit more wisdom.

Top Bottom