• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Why Not Buy A Geo Metro Or 1st Gen Insight?

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Craig, I believe you are confusing coefficient of drag with power to weight. All I've seen on the elio's drag coefficient is that the production vehicle was expected to be sub ".3"
upload_2014-5-2_15-8-19.jpeg

My Bad
I just saw drag coefficients

Horn

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Craig, I believe you are confusing coefficient of drag with power to weight. All I've seen on the elio's drag coefficient is that the production vehicle was expected to be sub ".3"

IMO it should be better if you want to get 80mpg highway. The insight is .25. Still though, .3 is still great for mpgs

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Couldn't you get a cheap beater for now while you wait on the elio. It could be 1 year, 2 years, 5 years, never.

And I agree the Elio should be a very easy car to work on only being 3 cylinders.
I could. My daughter is also going to need a car pretty soon. Now that Elio has a plant, equipment, suppliers, engine, transmission, interior, body panel supplier, frame, automation, service network, and national exposure, I think that the likelyhood that it'll go into production is VERY high. Sure, I'll probably have to wait a year but I like what it stands for so I can wait. I may get a beater in the time being. I've looked for Trackers around but it seems they all go to Moab to be made into rock climbers. I don't have anything against a Metro either but when it comes down to it, I'd rather be seen in an Elio - new, on the edge, etc.

Of course, everyone here knows they'll have to wait for their Elio. It's kind of cool to know there are 16,000 other people out there with the same idea. Maybe we can be the first major wave to get this country off of it's Huge SUV kick. Probably not, but we can try.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score

That's pretty slick for a vehicle, since the most aerodynamic road-going Ferrari to date(458 italia) is .330

14090857645_11b946e996.jpg
I'll take mine in red if you are giving them away! oh, and could you help me out with servicing... Man, I'd love one of those.

Horn

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I could. My daughter is also going to need a car pretty soon. Now that Elio has a plant, equipment, suppliers, engine, transmission, interior, body panel supplier, frame, automation, service network, and national exposure, I think that the likelyhood that it'll go into production is VERY high. Sure, I'll probably have to wait a year but I like what it stands for so I can wait. I may get a beater in the time being. I've looked for Trackers around but it seems they all go to Moab to be made into rock climbers. I don't have anything against a Metro either but when it comes down to it, I'd rather be seen in an Elio - new, on the edge, etc.

Of course, everyone here knows they'll have to wait for their Elio. It's kind of cool to know there are 16,000 other people out there with the same idea. Maybe we can be the first major wave to get this country off of it's Huge SUV kick. Probably not, but we can try.

When I mention "geos", I specifically mean metro....not trackers. Yes many are wore out.

I just think personally if you drive a lot and could find a cheap car (really anything with any 4 cyl 5 spd car) you would save quite a bit. Obviously that is factored on amount of miles, cost of car, how long you have it etc etc.

And if you guys are buying Ferraris, why the hell are you buying Elios or any other average person car? lol

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
When I mention "geos", I specifically mean metro....not trackers. Yes many are wore out.

I just think personally if you drive a lot and could find a cheap car (really anything with any 4 cyl 5 spd car) you would save quite a bit. Obviously that is factored on amount of miles, cost of car, how long you have it etc etc.

And if you guys are buying Ferraris, why the hell are you buying Elios or any other average person car? lol
I know. I knew you were talking about the metro too. The Trackers are fun and I wouldn't mind finding another one. I move a bit with work and dragging all the toys around gets difficult. For now, I'm riding my motorcycle back and forth as that saves at least some. My bike isn't the most fuel efficient when I ride because... well, it's too much fun to get on the throttle. I'm not in a position where I NEED to save money on fuel but it does kind of irritate me that as innovative of a country as we are that we still rely on oil from politically unstable places. I'd like to see us get to a point where we could weather anything by relying on our own oil production/consumption. I'll do my part... It won't make much of a difference but it will make a little difference and I have to be okay with that.

Horn

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I know. I knew you were talking about the metro too. The Trackers are fun and I wouldn't mind finding another one. I move a bit with work and dragging all the toys around gets difficult. For now, I'm riding my motorcycle back and forth as that saves at least some. My bike isn't the most fuel efficient when I ride because... well, it's too much fun to get on the throttle. I'm not in a position where I NEED to save money on fuel but it does kind of irritate me that as innovative of a country as we are that we still rely on oil from politically unstable places. I'd like to see us get to a point where we could weather anything by relying on our own oil production/consumption. I'll do my part... It won't make much of a difference but it will make a little difference and I have to be okay with that.

I understand not wanting to spend money on fuel. Honestly the car companies and oil companies are in it together. We have been getting around 50 mpgs for a few decades now. We have all this "technology" but cars don't really get much better gas mileage.....it bs imo.

Horn

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I need something cheap and fuel efficient for driving around town when I don't want the attention driving my Ferrari brings me. ;):D:cool:

Some people says he gave elio $1000 last fall.
Some people say he will drive an elio next year.
But we know him as the STIG

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I understand not wanting to spend money on fuel. Honestly the car companies and oil companies are in it together. We have been getting around 50 mpgs for a few decades now. We have all this "technology" but cars don't really get much better gas mileage.....it bs imo.
If the only thing that mattered was fuel economy, then yes, it seems like BS that we couldn't improve...
Ford Mustang (using it only as an example but it's a very typical example)
1965 V8=220 HP, 15MPG
2014 V8= 420HP, 29MPG
I think it's really something to increase mileage and horsepower while making it pollute much less. Plus, the new ones are SOOO much nicer than my old '65 was.

Top Bottom