• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Why Not Buy A Geo Metro Or 1st Gen Insight?

GeoStalker

Reaction score
Just for the record, I appreciate the design and forward-thinking of the Elio. I hope to be a contributing member of this thread in the future......IF and WHEN the Elio ever hits production. If it DOES go to production, I'll purchase one.

In the GeoMetroForum we've been talking about the Elio for a long time now....mostly for the potential scam nature of the whole thing (which is a fair topic to discuss), but also for the inventive use of the Geo Metro powertrain and other components in the initial prototype. We were also talking about the Aptera as well....and how they were accepting REFUNDABLE deposits, yet still eventually found themselves in Chapter 7 liquidation.

I posted some pictures of a friend's BOGETRO....a chopped-down-the-middle Geo Metro which, oddly enough, resembles the Elio prototype from a schematic perspective. I also lightheartedly teased one of your members regarding his comments about his girlfriend never wanting to ride in a Geo Metro (yet ironically, would she take a back seat in his Elio?). He, in a return volley, got nasty toward my friend's prototype (which amazingly gets over 60mpg) and my friend personally. Sure his Bogetro is ugly, but so were the first dozen or so Elio prototypes while in the design phase.....I'm sure.

In the words of the late poet laureate Rodney King "Can't we all just get along?"

2.ooohhh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
When I mention "geos", I specifically mean metro....not trackers. Yes many are wore out.

I just think personally if you drive a lot and could find a cheap car (really anything with any 4 cyl 5 spd car) you would save quite a bit. Obviously that is factored on amount of miles, cost of car, how long you have it etc etc.

And if you guys are buying Ferraris, why the hell are you buying Elios or any other average person car? lol

There are many places that I go that are just not conducive to driving a super-car, classic, or otherwise collectible vehicle. The exotics are not mine but a good friend's, I prefer to tinker and restore/upgrade older vehicles mostly porsches, VWs and BMWs. I think the elio would be a great daily to keep miles off of my other cars and much cheaper to insure day to day. Plus it just looks fun!

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Just for the record, I appreciate the design and forward-thinking of the Elio. I hope to be a contributing member of this thread in the future......IF and WHEN the Elio ever hits production. If it DOES go to production, I'll purchase one.

In the GeoMetroForum we've been talking about the Elio for a long time now....mostly for the potential scam nature of the whole thing (which is a fair topic to discuss), but also for the inventive use of the Geo Metro powertrain and other components in the initial prototype. We were also talking about the Aptera as well....and how they were accepting REFUNDABLE deposits, yet still eventually found themselves in Chapter 7 liquidation.

I posted some pictures of a friend's BOGETRO....a chopped-down-the-middle Geo Metro which, oddly enough, resembles the Elio prototype from a schematic perspective. I also lightheartedly teased one of your members regarding his comments about his girlfriend never wanting to ride in a Geo Metro (yet ironically, would she take a back seat in his Elio?). He, in a return volley, got nasty toward my friend's prototype (which amazingly gets over 60mpg) and my friend personally. Sure his Bogetro is ugly, but so were the first dozen or so Elio prototypes while in the design phase.....I'm sure.

In the words of the late poet laureate Rodney King "Can't we all just get along?"

GeoStalker, Welcome to the Elioowners.com forum. I liked the BOGETRO pictures, yes its ugly but it is definitely creative!

If you go back in the thread you will find that the nasty posts have been removed as they were definitely inappropriate. It is unfortunate your first posts had to go that way but there are always a few bad apples out there. We do try and run a welcoming forum so do not hesitate to use the report button if a post is offensive or abusive.

The potential of this all being a big elaborate scam has also been discussed on this site many times over and it is definitely an appropriate topic however it is not uncommon for new threads to show up from new members stating how dumb the Elio idea is or how stupid anyone who puts any money down on this idea is so these threads can get very annoying to see pop up again and again.

jetpack54

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The engine just got built and wasn't ready till after the first quarter this year. They were not having plant issues but the press had made some errors and it seemed like that Elio was having issues. The plant is basically a done deal. Their campaign is unlike any other, I'll give you that. They are probably the first company that has used ONLY social media to get the word out and it's working. We are still a year away from production and yet 16,000 people have said "I want one and am willing to put some of my own money out there to make sure I get one". Now, 16,000 doesn't make a successful car company (does it?) but it is a really good start. I don't have aero numbers but I think they are available. I'm assuming they'll start hiring people when they need. It would be silly to hire a bunch of factory workers to stand around. They won't have a problem finding people a month or two before production starts. They'll have to hire some engineers and some people to move some equipment around and set things up but not all the people.
Let that "non believer" do his own research!;)

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Let that "non believer" do his own research!;)
Hallelujah
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT3EGAyYnZI4eqRm10YBDHUpETsi2MKCqey1mbIs1Ymo0As6bUs.jpg

jetpack54

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You drive a f**king Geo Metro. Sure it gets good mpgs but it was a piece of crap back then and an even bigger piece of crap now. Sure you get 50mpgs, when the thing starts. It's nice when you can put your foot through the rusty floor. Have fun driving your Geo, pizza delivery boy
Easy JP, easy! Stress is not good for your heart!:D

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score

There was a lot of consideration of the scam variety when this thing kicked off but to be a good scam, someone has to be making some money. I just don't think there's enough in deposits to justify that line of thinking. Sure, with no protocol or suppliers, or plant, I'd maintain a healthy level of skepticism. But now, it really looks likely. Will it be a smooth ride? Definitely not. But, it is cool to watch the birth of a car company.

dwoodul

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Dang; what a thread. Got everybody going. I think most of us understand the Elio may not go to production but most of us are hoping for the best. I put $1,000 down on the vehicle because I believe in the thing, would like to own one as it fits my commute (I now drive a motorcycle), and it looks like it would be a hoot to drive – even my wife can’t wait to drive it. I want to support the effort and I’m old and have saved a little so it won’t kill me to lose the money… :-(. I also put a little deposit down on the LIT enclosed motorcycle mainly to support their effort also. It may be safe but in Dallas, TX the drivers are crazy and if you get hit by a suburban (very likely as it seems 110% of the folks here drive them) or anything larger you’re in deep sneakers anyway. I hope my son and I are driving Elios sometime in 2015 or 2016. Just got my T-shirt today… :) I’ll drive my Corolla until the Elio arrives. Hope it’s not too long getting here ‘cause, like I said, I’m old… :)... Also - did a quick edit, I read that Honda and Toyota just came out with (or upgraded) a 1ltr engine recently. Expensive I imagine but they are out there; not that Elio should use one but other makers are going the small-engine route big-time now also.

Last edited:
Top Bottom