• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Will Other Drivers See Us?

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
For photographic reasons the P4 only has about 3.5" of ground clearance vs 5.75" for the final vehicle. I don't have any issues with my 1993 Honda Civic sedan scrapeing on things and its ride height is 5.25" inches.

By the way the Elio is actually 3" taller than my Civic and the Elio's wheelbase is only 1" shorter even if the overall length is about a foot shorter which is a good thing for safety and handling.
I didn't know it was taller than a Civic but I do know that it didn't seem shorter than a normal car in person.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Dumb rims.jpg
If you all are concerned about ground clearance, you should talk to the city guys. They can hook you up. Won't have to worry about not being noticed any more
donk1.jpg

Bert

Elio Addict
Reaction score
wouldn't it be correct to believe the more you tighten up the coil cover, the rougher the ride will be ?

Jim

The adjustable coil over GO posted shows the plate the coil spring sits on is adjustable. It doesn't preload the spring any more than normal, as the shock shaft will just be further out of the body of the shock.. Therefore the ride will be the same, no matter where you adjust it to. On the other hand, the higher you adjust it, the more body roll you'll end up with. (Think weight being farther away from the pivot point).
A stiffer spring would result in a harsher ride, a softer spring doing the opposite. Either one effects the handling, therefore allowing a person to tailor it to their own preferences. So would a stiffer shock. (Think more, or less, effort to move the shock in and out).

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
The adjustable coil over GO posted shows the plate the coil spring sits on is adjustable. It doesn't preload the spring any more than normal, as the shock shaft will just be further out of the body of the shock.. Therefore the ride will be the same, no matter where you adjust it to. On the other hand, the higher you adjust it, the more body roll you'll end up with. (Think weight being farther away from the pivot point).
A stiffer spring would result in a harsher ride, a softer spring doing the opposite. Either one effects the handling, therefore allowing a person to tailor it to their own preferences. So would a stiffer shock. (Think more, or less, effort to move the shock in and out).

Don't forget the air pressure adjustment in that shock as that can be used to stiffen shock also. :)

BADBOY

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I will agree that generally motorcycles are not as safe. However there are a few instances when they are safer. While riding my Hayabusa (the one in my picture) two years ago, on a two lane road and going around a curve, I met a string of cars in the other lane and one car improperly passing them and heading directly towards me in my lane.On the right there was a small shoulder and a large drop-off. Having encountered this before, I moved over onto the shoulder. When we met, all three of us were momentarily side by side; me, the improperly passing car and the car being passed. I then continued with no incident. If I had been in a car I would have had a head on collision or go over the side.
As I said, generally motorcycles are not as safe, but occasionally they are safer.
This one time I was riding my bicycle in a thunder storm with lightning everywhere and lightning hit me and transferred to the ground. If I had been walking in the rain with an umbrella, I could have been barbeque potato chips. It is sometime safer to not have an umbrella in the rain. :)

Top Bottom