• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Windows

Joshua Caldwell

Staff member
Reaction score
What's wrong with sunrooves?

Note: I've never had one so it's an honest question (I do, however, own a convertible that gets driven top down a lot).
I have had one. It was extremely noisy and after about 3 years rain started making its way into the body, I took it to the shop multiple times, replaced the gaskets, and it was only a temporary fix each time. (Nissan Altima) friends with sunroofs on other cars report similar problems.

KenK

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've had a sunroof in my last 3 cars. A Honda Passport, Honda Accord, and a Honda Ridgeline. All 3 owned for 4 years (and counting on the Ridgeline) and no trouble at all in Florida storms or Arizona monsoons. I don't recall how old the Passport was, since I bought that used on ebay from a guy in Texas. It held up well in Shreveport as well as Florida.

As for the Elio, I don't think a sunroof makes sense. Maybe a solar panel to circulate cabin air while it's parked or something... but as a factory option of course.

KenK

Elio Addict
Reaction score
And I am amazed about how wrong all of you are regarding the windows. Just completely, and totally wrong. :D

I get it, I get it... Nobody likes my idea. :oops:

Dustoff

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've had a sunroof in my last 3 cars. A Honda Passport, Honda Accord, and a Honda Ridgeline. All 3 owned for 4 years (and counting on the Ridgeline) and no trouble at all in Florida storms or Arizona monsoons. I don't recall how old the Passport was, since I bought that used on ebay from a guy in Texas. It held up well in Shreveport as well as Florida.

As for the Elio, I don't think a sunroof makes sense. Maybe a solar panel to circulate cabin air while it's parked or something... but as a factory option of course.

I like the idea of having a solar panel to bring in outside air. I would rather have 100 degree air than 140 degree air, in a parked vehicle.

silverfox

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
How about a tilt out windshield?

Attachments

• elio tilt out windshield.jpg
    elio tilt out windshield.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 225

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
What's wrong with sunrooves?

Note: I've never had one so it's an honest question (I do, however, own a convertible that gets driven top down a lot).
I'll have to see how I fit first . . . Sunroofs/Moonroofs take an inch and a half of headroom. Considering the fact that there's a roll bar just about at the back of the drivers' head, the retractable panel will probably have to be external. That may be a little noisy when open at speed.

My second thought is about practicality. . . The roof is only about 18" wide . . . Do you really need to open that up?

jtmarten

Elio Addict
Reaction score
One thing I did not like on the P4 prototype when I got inside was the cheap, thin feeling of the door. It also appears that the windows on both sides roll down completely. I think that is a mistake since they are so large. I would rather see something similar to the Subrau SVX:

http://www.rigsofrods.com/images/imported/2012/01/SubaruSVX2-1.jpeg

That's a beautiful SVX; almost bought one last year, but couldn't find a decent one that was either just front wheel drive, or one that had the transmission replaced already.

The SVX style front/rear windows would add significant cost to the bottom line.

KenK

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'll have to see how I fit first . . . Sunroofs/Moonroofs take an inch and a half of headroom. Considering the fact that there's a roll bar just about at the back of the drivers' head, the retractable panel will probably have to be external. That may be a little noisy when open at speed.

My second thought is about practicality. . . The roof is only about 18" wide . . . Do you really need to open that up?
Yeah, there's not much real-estate to stuff a modern sunroof in there. All of mine were moon/sun roofs, so they can either pop up for venting or open completely. All were powered, so there's that. If we are just talking about a window that pops up manually and maybe a cover that slides in front of it, that might be do-able, but it would be tiny.

dunkybones

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
One thing I did not like on the P4 prototype when I got inside was the cheap, thin feeling of the door. It also appears that the windows on both sides roll down completely. I think that is a mistake since they are so large. I would rather see something similar to the Subrau SVX:

http://www.rigsofrods.com/images/imported/2012/01/SubaruSVX2-1.jpeg

Or maybe go halfsies like Lamborghini Countach:

http://pictures.topspeed.com/IMG/crop/200702/1973-lamborghini-countach-25_600x0w.jpg

I can't imagine ever wanting to drive the Elio with one or both windows all the way down.

I've been wondering about this. With such large windows for a narrow body design, I'd be worried about the cabin cavitating at high speeds. If someone were in the backseat with the windows down, they would get pummeled. Maybe since it's sleek it doesn't matter, and my simian knowledge of aerodynamics is wrong. Frankly, I think the whole design begs to be a convertible/t-top of some sort. It's not half car/half motorcycle if you don't get some wind when you want it.

Top Bottom