• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Worst Friday Blog Ever !!!

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
No touring events are planned. I wonder if the touring personnel are stilled employed by EM. It probably was a big expense and now that they have over 65,000 reservations, they may have decided the number was large enough, and obtaining more reservations were not worth spending the limited funds left.

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, your not kidding they calculated wrong...
I was right on the money on that prediction.
I ran around like chicken little screaming that it wasn't enough $ for any more than that.
And I was told by the masses that I was full of, well... to be nice... carbon.

I don't think they so much calculated wrong...
I think they only went for slightly less than they could to reduce their cumulative long-term overall liability.
And I think they thought that the $25M $17M would give them enough progress (4 more vehicles and other advancements)...
To entice the private sector which they KNEW they would need.after the $17M was gone.
Apparently no-one stepped up.

Last edited:

booboo

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Elio is a mass production vehicle. It had to be done a certain way. I do not think they have been far off the mark, or spent too much. It is a matter of not enough funding yet. Paul has talked to the point before, of how much it costs to bring a new model to fruition.
Elio is not just a new model, but a new everything.
I will use Elio's own words.
" Why do something if you are going to think small? "
" Go big, or go home."
" It ain’t easy! "
" It was a major decision. And we are swinging for the fences. "
https://www.eliomotors.com/tech-talk-v51-elio-engine-is-released/

Jeff Miller

Elio Addict
Reaction score
EM may have miss-calculated or possibly over spent as a result of having to redo suspension and move to steel body panels. Also being $8 million under what they asked for could certainly have impacted their ability to create even more Es.

Although I remain concerned about the lack of news, touring events, etc., I still have faith that there is a lot going on in the background that we simply don't, and probably can't, know about. I look forward to the next SEC filing as I think it will be somewhat illuminating.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
EM may have miss-calculated or possibly over spent as a result of having to redo suspension and move to steel body panels. Also being $8 million under what they asked for could certainly have impacted their ability to create even more Es.

Although I remain concerned about the lack of news, touring events, etc., I still have faith that there is a lot going on in the background that we simply don't, and probably can't, know about. I look forward to the next SEC filing as I think it will be somewhat illuminating.
I have to agree, something in the background is likely more important to them. I suspect they wanted the 65k res to add to something else, and have that all add into the SEC filing, which is important to the ATVM loan.

Sometimes you want things to happen in parallel, but !reality check!, serial process.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The calculated wrong, the first 4 cost them more then expected, because they paid for the work at Continental and Red Dot out of the same fund.
They also underestimated their new levels of overhead, and the decision to go to steel panels (and hence the soft tooling) used a big chunk.

I feel like the friggin' 8-ball -- outcome uncertain. But trust me that positive things are in the works that may make a major difference.

Samalross

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have to agree, something in the background is likely more important to them. I suspect they wanted the 65k res to add to something else, and have that all add into the SEC filing, which is important to the ATVM loan.

Sometimes you want things to happen in parallel, but !reality check!, serial process.
They can not use the 65,000 in the SEC filing because it happened this year. They can only use it in forward looking statements, and first quarter filings. I guess they thought it would have happened last year.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I agree. They wasted too much time trying to change laws. The laws would be easier to change if they had a product. Using an existing engine until they had the resources to make their own would have also helped. I think he was a great marketer but should not be running the company.
They didn't exactly waste time getting the laws changed. Those were two separate efforts. It isn't like engineers went to capital hill to help a bill get pushed through.

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think that Paul made several early "emotional" decisions that may have delayed the project. That's understandable when the product is "your baby" - you're a little too close to the design to make the cold, practical decisions that need to be made in the development of the product. He set some lofty goals, and it appears the latest engineering model is still meeting them. I applaud the decision to go with a standard instrument panel versus the "Elgin" dash. I believe Paul's homage to his father's legacy was well-intended and certainly laudable. But as an instrument, it is fatally flawed in that small moving numbers are difficult to read and interpret at a glance. Building a custom panel was never a business-driven decision. There are plenty of instruments available on the aftermarket at a small fraction of the cost, and building a bespoke unit seemed never to be a cost-driven consideration, but an emotional one.

The steel body was another good decision. In volume production, a welded-up roll cage on which plastic panels were to be hung was simply a non-starter. It would be slow (and expensive) to produce in volume and add a number of steps to the assembly process. It was useful in the prototyping process, but now we have to think about production in volume. The steel stampings can perform in many cases as both structural members and body panels - the whole idea of a monocoque body is that can be at once lightweight and immensely strong.

I'm glad to see that some consideration is being given to fog lights and possibly some "clearance" lamps on the fender pods in recent posts. Just this weekend on a dark road in a heavy rain, I nearly pulled out in front of a Jeep Renegade. His very narrow headlights gave the impression that he was nearly a block away, but it was the presence of marker lights on the fenders that showed he was MUCH closer than I first thought. That's always going to be a problem for other drivers if the perceived distance of the Elio is confused by the necessarily narrow placement of the headlights. I'm considering a set of LED's or maybe electroluminescent strips on those pods just to remind other motorists that this is a rather unconventional vehicle coming toward them.

Finally, there have been a great number of detail changes in the transition from prototype to production, and they have been handled well. The exhaust pipe is one development shown to be made necessary through the prototyping process. Obviously it can't hang below the vehicle - because ground clearance would be an issue. Tucking that exhaust line into a "tunnel" up into the body was a good idea, but could transfer a lot of heat into the cabin. So putting it in a slight "pod" along the right-hand side of the body may not please the purists, but it is an excellent, practical decision that solves the problem of space and sound coupling with the cabin without a total rework of the interior.

Top Bottom