• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Write A Letter Help Get Elio On The Road

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Oh yea? Are you crazy?

They will kick and scream at the politicians that they donate to.....which is most of them.

But at the same time they could just jack up the price of fuel or have congress pass some kind of tax that is based on the miles you drive.

- I'm not saying this is right, but the oil lobbyists have a huge say. If they feel like Elio is a threat, they will figure something out.
Road Tax by the mile is all ready in the works.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
If they are even aware of Elio Motors it is doubtful the oil lobby considers Elio Motors to be any sort of threat at this point. They likely consider it to be just another start up vehicle manufacturer that is destined to fail like so many others before it. While this all sounds bad it is a good thing as they likely just leave EM alone for the time being as making waves now could actually serve to help attract more attention to what Elio is trying to do.

Horn

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If they are even aware of Elio Motors it is doubtful the oil lobby considers Elio Motors to be any sort of threat at this point. They likely consider it to be just another start up vehicle manufacturer that is destined to fail like so many others before it. While this all sounds bad it is a good thing as they likely just leave EM alone for the time being as making waves now could actually serve to help attract more attention to what Elio is trying to do.

At the same time though, you almost want them to notice. Big oil understands when something is a real threat; they have been fighting them off for a while.

I actually think a good tactic would be for Elio to mention how Big Oil is attacking them. The average person doesn't like Big Oil and could....could unite people into supporting Elio.

Joshua Caldwell

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh yea? Are you crazy?

They will kick and scream at the politicians that they donate to.....which is most of them.

But at the same time they could just jack up the price of fuel or have congress pass some kind of tax that is based on the miles you drive.

- I'm not saying this is right, but the oil lobbyists have a huge say. If they feel like Elio is a threat, they will figure something out.
I simply see no reason for them to get upset.
1) They will probably view the Elio like the Tesla and the Nissan Leaf, nice little cars that turn out extreme numbers but unlikely to be sold in the millions and thus not make a dent in their bottom line.
2) The Elio burns petrol, it is in their interest for people to use petrol burning vehicles instead of battery powered vehicles, and given the price difference between the two technologies, with MPG high enough people will simply choose to burn petrol. (Gas/Diesel/CNG)
3) The oil supply is finite, the longer it can be stretched out the longer they will be in business and the higher their total profits will be when it is all over.

Horn

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I simply see no reason for them to get upset.
1) They will probably view the Elio like the Tesla and the Nissan Leaf, nice little cars that turn out extreme numbers but unlikely to be sold in the millions and thus not make a dent in their bottom line.
2) The Elio burns petrol, it is in their interest for people to use petrol burning vehicles instead of battery powered vehicles, and given the price difference between the two technologies, with MPG high enough people will simply choose to burn petrol. (Gas/Diesel/CNG)
3) The oil supply is finite, the longer it can be stretched out the longer they will be in business and the higher their total profits will be when it is all over.

1) If the Elio does get made and hit most of the points EM says, I think Big Oil would take it seriously. The price difference between the Elio and all those cars is ridiculous.
2) Whether the Elio is made or not, people will be driving petrol cars for a long long time.
3) The oil supply will last a long time. They want to make more money now and invest in other projects for the future. A dollar today is worth more than a dollar tomorrow.

If....if the Elio gets built there Big Oil will be there and have a say. They are very powerful

imageon

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Have you ever noticed that no matter what size car you drive you hit the gas station at about the same interval?
That is planned! Big oil and all the big car manufactures make sure that the car has to stop at the gas station so you will buy stuff.
They just make the size of your gas tank to fit the interval.
8 gallon tank 84 mpg. You bet they will take notice.
MK

Snick

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Have you ever noticed that no matter what size car you drive you hit the gas station at about the same interval?
That is planned! Big oil and all the big car manufactures make sure that the car has to stop at the gas station so you will buy stuff.
MK

I used to own Volkswagen Jetta Tdi sedans. I had a 2002 that went 727 miles on a tank--which was my personal record. That tank was a 14.5 gallon tank, but if you knew the 'venting' trick, you could squeek in a few more to get it up to just a hair less than 17 gallons.

One thing having a huge range does: you have the freedom to shop around for prices for a lot longer and look for the best deals. I once went cross-country from Virginia to Washington state, and the car could outlast my bladder and my back.

imageon

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yep I think Volkswagen is the exception that makes the rule. I think their Pessat has a pretty long range now days.
Still I stand by my premis that the tanks are adjusted in size in most cars. I have a Honda CRZ it gets near 40 mpg and has a little old 10 gal tank.
I also have a 2000 Land Rover 13 mpg 25 gal tank. They both hit the gas station at about the same amout of miles traveled.
MK

CheeseheadEarl

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yep I think Volkswagen is the exception that makes the rule. I think their Pessat has a pretty long range now days.
Still I stand by my premis that the tanks are adjusted in size in most cars. I have a Honda CRZ it gets near 40 mpg and has a little old 10 gal tank.
I also have a 2000 Land Rover 13 mpg 25 gal tank. They both hit the gas station at about the same amout of miles traveled.
MK
88 K1500. 34 gallons, 400 miles is a stretch. I only fill up about 3x a year though. Only use it when I need it these days.

My Buick's range is around 400 - 450 on a 17? gallon tank.

Either one has more range than I do.

Horn

Elio Addict
Reaction score
MK

hahaha....I doubt that. Plus its really not that hard to not go in the gas station and buy anything. Ive probably spent $10 inside the gas station in the last year. Idk why anyone would buy anything other than a cheap fountain soda or beer if it is late at a gas station. Gas stations are so over priced. No thanks, I would rather keep my money.

At the same time probably 90% of people still go in and buy something. I would say this has to do more with how we were brought up and less with how many miles you can drive on a tank.

Top Bottom