• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Yes It Is Taking Some Time. What Changes Would You Consider?

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Raising the rear would help aero wise. Right now, the rear creates lift and that creates drag. Raise the rear to the point where the drag and lift is reduced. Then add a lip to the rear to help that high speed stability. It's a win -win because it's way more stable and it creates at least double the cargo area.

Trusting

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I recall those mock-ups from past posts. I agree, that design would be nice and take care of my air flow issues. It would mean a significant frame and body change to the current design though. I wonder that seemingly small change would end up costing in the end.

I wondered about that too and a while back I actually showed the pic of the two trunks to a body man I know. He said that he thought that at the factory, with mass production. it might add a hundred dollars or so to the unit cost, mainly for materials. He's not an auto manufacturer, but he's pretty sharp about these things. Just think how often that extra trunk space could make the difference between using or not using your Elio.

As to the rear panel. The only real cost is the one time expense of making or modifying the mold. Making the modified rear panels should cost the same as the original. Then there would be the cost of making and installing the Elio name on the panel. That could be as little as a couple of dollars.... what a bargain for all that advertising !

Ray O

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I like the raised fastback. If I could change anything else I would have all Elio's with a CVT transmission. Less parts to warehouse and one assembly. I like manuals but so many people cant drive them.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I like the raised fastback. If I could change anything else I would have all Elio's with a CVT transmission. Less parts to warehouse and one assembly. I like manuals but so many people cant drive them.
I prefer a manual, but it became much to tiring in stop and go traffic on old beatup legs, joints, and muscle. The new generations don't care or won't learn even though they are physically able or simply prefer the auto. These days the auto should standard in the base model and the manual the upgrade option. :)

gottemfeathers

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Perhaps just something as simple as a "vent" position on the rear hatch that lets it open a few inches and hold rather then fully open.
If the two rear side windows could open a bit I think that would be great. Rear vent windows that are hinged. (kind of like the window here: http://tctmagazine.net/july-2011/fj-freedom-windows-first-look). I'm sure they would create noise and screw up the aerodynamics but there would likely be times when you aren't traveling that fast with the front windows down where they would come in handy.

Top Bottom