• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Factory Pickup, Retail Store Pickup, Or Delivery

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Dealer Prep Charges are part of the traditional auto dealership markup rip-off. Elio Motors has promised a better buying experience. I'm counting on them to stick to that promise. If you have not read all the information in the Elio Store on the EM website, please do. It will tell you a lot about how Paul Elio intends to change our buying experience. :) Z

I've read everything on the Elio site several times and applaud what he and his management team are trying to do .... that said, unless they have figured out how to get folks to work for free and to purchase any items needed at no cost, there is nothing free .... with traditional dealerships employees have to be paid to cleanup newly arrived vehicles and to do whatever else is needed to get them ready to leave the lot when purchased .... granted, many if not most charge more than it cost and do use the fee to make additional profit .... if Elio doesn't go that route, the cost of accomplishing those functions will still be there and in the end the customer will pay for them .... bean counters (to accomplish their price point Elio must have some really good ones with really sharp pencils) figure them into the cost of the vehicle .... the advantage Elio is building in is having its own dealerships .... as such they can control the cost and choose how much if any profit to add to that component

Jim

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yeah but I am very busy with my schoolwork in the fall and spring so the only way I could do it is right around Christmas or in the summer. We'll see when my Elio gets built and then Ill see if I can afford the time
My issue will be if I can afford the trip. But I sure would love to do it so I'm putting the energy out there to see what happens. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. :-) Z

KC_Cacti

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 'savings' from a roadtrip factory pickup is quickly negated with hotel stays and flights.
Tentative plan for me is 2 intense hops, first to Louisville (12hr) spend a day there, then to Baltimore (9hr).
Shipping may make more sense, especially depending on what time of year my batch gets finished - but we have plenty of time to wait and see.
I have to agree I think the savings starts to drop off once you get beyond a 2 day drive but I think most poeple would be willing to do it because it would be rather fun to drive it home no matter where you live!

Charlie G

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have to agree I think the savings starts to drop off once you get beyond a 2 day drive but I think most poeple would be willing to do it because it would be rather fun to drive it home no matter where you live!
Exactly, though I'll admit I'm relieved that I won't be at the very top of the list... A few people will get a chance to make that kind of drive first and work any kinks out ;-)

trock59

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I am curious if the Elio will be delivered with a paper registration plate I can drive home with or if I would need to get a plate first and bring it with me? I'm sure with a new vehicle like this the DMV in each state will want to do some type of initial "inspection" so they probably won't issue a plate without me even having the vehicle yet?

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I am curious if the Elio will be delivered with a paper registration plate I can drive home with or if I would need to get a plate first and bring it with me? I'm sure with a new vehicle like this the DMV in each state will want to do some type of initial "inspection" so they probably won't issue a plate without me even having the vehicle yet?
I understand this is one of the things Elio Motors will be taking care of so none of us will have problems with registration and licensing. :-) Z

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
My issue will be if I can afford the trip. But I sure would love to do it so I'm putting the energy out there to see what happens. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. :) Z

well understood .... for the 2 of us to fly to Shreveport, LA would cost $650+/- .... taking the bus would cost $300+ .... there is not an Amtrack stop in Shreveport so it would take a combo train/bus ticket, price unknown .... per Google Maps it takes 14+ hrs driving time which depending on the smoothness of the ride and my back would take us a minimum of 2 days but more likely 3 .... add in food and rental car/taxi expense and there is little doubt that for us to go to the factory and pick it up would have to be a want to thing, not a saving money thing

Jim

NN4S

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I see it more as a part of the Elio experience than a matter of practicality. I've never purchased a new vehicle before that didn't have a few miles on it simply from the transportation loading and unloading (usually at least ten miles). I'd like to be the one who puts the FIRST miles on my new vehicle for once! Being able to tour the facility and review the build process will only help me to answer all of the questions that I expect to field when I show up with it for the first time pretty much anywhere!;)

BlioKart

Elio Addict
Reaction score
as discussed, if Elio doesn't have a delivery contract that requires all vehicles produced to be shipped, and if they can arrange a place at the factory to handle having the customer come to pick it up, I can see that as good marketing strategy .... it would save the customer a deliver charge but I can see them still having to pay a dealer prep charge .... if there are things that a dealer is expected to do to the vehicle prior to delivery, those things still have to be done .... in addition, the reputation for quality (good or not so go) that Elio earns as their vehicles hit the road really matters .... I was once told that with a Honda Gold Wing that you can buy it in NC, drive it off the lot and head for California .... don't know if that's true or not but they carried that reputation for quality of construction ... I'd be much more likely to go to the factory and pick one up if Elio earns that level of reputation

Jim

I used to do the "dealer prep" its really nothing. Only a few models actually had anything added at the dealer. Not much to clean either mostly removing plastic. We had to check fluid levels but not once were they low in the thousands of cars I did. Used cars are much harder reconditioning can be a pain in the butt.

Top Bottom