• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Factory Pickup, Retail Store Pickup, Or Delivery

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Lets say Elio can build 400 cars a day. How many can they deliver at the factory a day?
Can you imagine 400 people showing up at a dealership trying to buy a car!

as discussed, if Elio doesn't have a delivery contract that requires all vehicles produced to be shipped, and if they can arrange a place at the factory to handle having the customer come to pick it up, I can see that as good marketing strategy .... it would save the customer a deliver charge but I can see them still having to pay a dealer prep charge .... if there are things that a dealer is expected to do to the vehicle prior to delivery, those things still have to be done .... in addition, the reputation for quality (good or not so go) that Elio earns as their vehicles hit the road really matters .... I was once told that with a Honda Gold Wing that you can buy it in NC, drive it off the lot and head for California .... don't know if that's true or not but they carried that reputation for quality of construction ... I'd be much more likely to go to the factory and pick one up if Elio earns that level of reputation

Jim

Charlie G

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Elio told me today that if we had a 1000 all in that we are invited to watch our cars completed and there would be no shipping. My only problem is it will cost me the same to get there than they would charge for shipping
I hope this is the case, I have my options all figured out if so.
A one way ticket from Baltimore to Shreveport is 250.
But a ticket to Dallas is 78, and greyhound from Dallas to Shreveport can be done for as low as 7 bucks.

Direct route is less stress, but where's the fun in that?

Road trip back is 1200 miles, but might be a good chance to visit my sister in Kentucky ☺

skygazer6033

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Factory pickup would be a big logistical advantage for the company during the first year. No shipping dollys, no loading and unloading, no railcars, no semi's with carhaulers, no distribution centers and no retail stores. Basically all I would personally need is someone to hand me the keys and the paperwork, I'll hand them a check and be on my way. How simple is that. Even if they waive the full destination charge they would still be money ahead.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
as discussed, if Elio doesn't have a delivery contract that requires all vehicles produced to be shipped, and if they can arrange a place at the factory to handle having the customer come to pick it up, I can see that as good marketing strategy .... it would save the customer a deliver charge but I can see them still having to pay a dealer prep charge .... if there are things that a dealer is expected to do to the vehicle prior to delivery, those things still have to be done .... in addition, the reputation for quality (good or not so go) that Elio earns as their vehicles hit the road really matters .... I was once told that with a Honda Gold Wing that you can buy it in NC, drive it off the lot and head for California .... don't know if that's true or not but they carried that reputation for quality of construction ... I'd be much more likely to go to the factory and pick one up if Elio earns that level of reputation

Jim
No dealers.........no dealer prep.

JP

Elio Addict
Reaction score
But a ticket to Dallas is 78, and greyhound from Dallas to Shreveport can be done for as low as 7 bucks.

Road trip back is 1200 miles, but might be a good chance to visit my sister in Kentucky ☺

I'm in Maryland too. I'm really hesitant about taking a bus all that way. I'd be more inclined to go on a plane or train. The drive back could probably be done in 3 days. I might just have the Elio shipped to Baltimore

Charlie G

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm in Maryland too. I'm really hesitant about taking a bus all that way. I'd be more inclined to go on a plane or train. The drive back could probably be done in 3 days. I might just have the Elio shipped to Baltimore
The 'savings' from a roadtrip factory pickup is quickly negated with hotel stays and flights.
Tentative plan for me is 2 intense hops, first to Louisville (12hr) spend a day there, then to Baltimore (9hr).
Shipping may make more sense, especially depending on what time of year my batch gets finished - but we have plenty of time to wait and see.

Richad

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score

My trip if I made it would be 1200 miles too. I was thinking about a rental car that could be given back in Shrevport. Not sure that they would even have a rental place tere. Last time I was there was whe I did my basic training around 1970. Not sure that I would be confortable pushing the car to its limits at highway speed without breaking it in.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Jim
Dealer Prep Charges are part of the traditional auto dealership markup rip-off. Elio Motors has promised a better buying experience. I'm counting on them to stick to that promise. If you have not read all the information in the Elio Store on the EM website, please do. It will tell you a lot about how Paul Elio intends to change our buying experience. :-) Z

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Awe, come on, JP. Where is the sense of adventure in doing that? I'm even considering picking up my Elio and I'm a little old lady with a return trip to southern Oregon by way of Toledo, OH and Seattle, WA area to show it off to family. Not only that, I will most likely take Amtrak to get there and that is 72 hours IF there are no delays. LOL Now that is an adventure. :p :rolleyes: :D :-) Z

JP

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Awe, come on, JP. Where is the sense of adventure in doing that? I'm even considering picking up my Elio and I'm a little old lady with a return trip to southern Oregon by way of Toledo, OH and Seattle, WA area to show it off to family. Not only that, I will most likely take Amtrak to get there and that is 72 hours IF there are no delays. LOL Now that is an adventure. :p :rolleyes: :D :) Z

Yeah but I am very busy with my schoolwork in the fall and spring so the only way I could do it is right around Christmas or in the summer. We'll see when my Elio gets built and then Ill see if I can afford the time

Top Bottom