• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Factory Pickup, Retail Store Pickup, Or Delivery

Proud to be

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My trip if I made it would be 1200 miles too. I was thinking about a rental car that could be given back in Shrevport. Not sure that they would even have a rental place tere. Last time I was there was whe I did my basic training around 1970. Not sure that I would be confortable pushing the car to its limits at highway speed without breaking it in.

Richad,

I will be going to the plant to pick up my Marshmallow Elio with Sour Apple strips, and driving it back to Portland Oregon, WAG, 2800 miles heading back, I will even be visiting your State in my travels back, I am going to Chino Valley AZ, to visit my family first, then a couple of little stops along the way back to Portland...

I was a little worried about engine warm up... so I asked Elio Motors about engine breaking in time ... They said that this motor will not need any breaking in time and should be no problem driving the 2800 miles home to Portland...

I believe Elio Motors is telling the truth about the no breaking in time for this engine... because, it would really look bad for Elio Motors, if the first few thousands of Elio's to ever hit the streets of the US, in HISTORY... started having engine problems right away, it would be totally over for Elio Motors if that happened in the beginning of their start up...

I just Don't see that happening... to much is on the line for them to fail to deliver a good running Autocycle... If anything the first Elio's should be just what you ordered... and running great... all smiles...

We are going to be the biggest sales force Elio Motors could every ask for... They have to make it work right... no other options...

I am looking forward to my 2800 miles adventure to get back to my home. with a little hope I will have my drone also, so I can take pictures along the way back...

My production number is #2225, so I will be getting my Elio, a little before you and Zelio get yours...

So I may have to stop in and see the " Queen of Elio " and maybe have lunch with her, again... just to show off MY new Elio... :-) and give her a report on how well it is doing on the road, so when she pick hers up, from the factory, she will have no worry's about driving it home, or for her camping adventures to come ...

Proud to Be... an Elio owner..#2225... see ya on the road... give me a wave...

tazairforce

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I am curious if the Elio will be delivered with a paper registration plate I can drive home with or if I would need to get a plate first and bring it with me? I'm sure with a new vehicle like this the DMV in each state will want to do some type of initial "inspection" so they probably won't issue a plate without me even having the vehicle yet?
trock59,
The tag issue, for the trip home, should not be a problem. The way I understand it here in Georgia, you have 30 days to tag and title a vehicle after purchase, new or used. If stopped, just show your Bill of Sale, You, me, anyone, should have their insurance policy in force before you leave the plant. By the time we pick them up, most insurance companies will be on board to insure our Elio. If your company is not able to, just find one that does. I would not drive out the gate with out insurance.

The only problem with pre-buying insurance is not having the Vin #. The only way around that maybe to have the policy pre-written and when we get to the plant, get the Vin #, you'll be in the office any way, call back to your agent, give them the number. When they have it all filled out, 1) have them Text a shot of the policy to you, 2) have them Email it to you, if you can pick that up on your phone, 3) Best?, find a fax machine, then, they can fax you a hard copy to get you home.

Insurance, to me, is a little like an Amex card, 'Don't Leave the Plant without it'.

I think I'll try the fax idea first but have them text and Email also, as back up.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
You, me, anyone, should have their insurance policy in force before you leave the plant. By the time we pick them up, most insurance companies will be on board to insure our Elio. If your company is not able to, just find one that does. I would not drive out the gate with out insurance.

historically, when we buy a new vehicle we have already contacted our insurance agent to let him know of our intention .... when the time comes at the dealership, we call our agent and hand the phone to the person handling the paperwork and let them workout the details .... for us it has consistently been a seamless process

Jim

eddie66

Elio Addict
Reaction score
historically, when we buy a new vehicle we have already contacted our insurance agent to let him know of our intention .... when the time comes at the dealership, we call our agent and hand the phone to the person handling the paperwork and let them workout the details .... for us it has consistently been a seamless process

Jim
This would be a great option sell for Elio. Sell five day insurance policies to allow the reservation holders an oportunity to transport their new vehicle from factory pickup to their homes. Or simply work with the different insurance companies for the best price, and have them offer the policy at the factory. Since they will be a year away from factory owned stores, this could generate additional revenue until the stores are opened.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Richad,

I will be going to the plant to pick up my Marshmallow Elio with Sour Apple strips, and driving it back to Portland Oregon, WAG, 2800 miles heading back, I will even be visiting your State in my travels back, I am going to Chino Valley AZ, to visit my family first, then a couple of little stops along the way back to Portland...

I was a little worried about engine warm up... so I asked Elio Motors about engine breaking in time ... They said that this motor will not need any breaking in time and should be no problem driving the 2800 miles home to Portland...

I believe Elio Motors is telling the truth about the no breaking in time for this engine... because, it would really look bad for Elio Motors, if the first few thousands of Elio's to ever hit the streets of the US, in HISTORY... started having engine problems right away, it would be totally over for Elio Motors if that happened in the beginning of their start up...

I just Don't see that happening... to much is on the line for them to fail to deliver a good running Autocycle... If anything the first Elio's should be just what you ordered... and running great... all smiles...

We are going to be the biggest sales force Elio Motors could every ask for... They have to make it work right... no other options...

I am looking forward to my 2800 miles adventure to get back to my home. with a little hope I will have my drone also, so I can take pictures along the way back...

My production number is #2225, so I will be getting my Elio, a little before you and Zelio get yours...

So I may have to stop in and see the " Queen of Elio " and maybe have lunch with her, again... just to show off MY new Elio... :) and give her a report on how well it is doing on the road, so when she pick hers up, from the factory, she will have no worry's about driving it home, or for her camping adventures to come ...

Proud to Be... an Elio owner..#2225... see ya on the road... give me a wave...
Very few new car engines require the buyer follow a break in procedure anymore. The reason for this is that engines are fully assembled, run through a break in procedure, and load tested on an engine dyno before they leave the engine assembly area of the factory. The engines even essentially receive an oil change before installation as on the engine dyno a different break in oil is often used which is essentially pumped through the engine and captured for recycling on the other end. All this allows the manufacturer to ensure that the engine is broken in properly and promptly removes any metal shavings or other contaminants which may be in the engine after the assembly and break in process.

As the Shreveport plant had an engine assembly area used by GM/Comau nearly all the proper equipment to run this kind of break in procedure should already be in the plant and just needs to be reconfigured for the IAV engine. :)

Last edited:

skygazer6033

Elio Addict
Reaction score
A week or so prior to scheduled production Elio should be able to provide a vin number. They could fax or Email you your "deal sheet" showing your vin, color, options and the balance of your sale price. Take it to your bank or credit union if you're financing and contact your insurance company with your vin number. Have insurance card and check in hand when you get to Shreveport.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
trock59,
The tag issue, for the trip home, should not be a problem. The way I understand it here in Georgia, you have 30 days to tag and title a vehicle after purchase, new or used. If stopped, just show your Bill of Sale, You, me, anyone, should have their insurance policy in force before you leave the plant. By the time we pick them up, most insurance companies will be on board to insure our Elio. If your company is not able to, just find one that does. I would not drive out the gate with out insurance.

The only problem with pre-buying insurance is not having the Vin #. The only way around that maybe to have the policy pre-written and when we get to the plant, get the Vin #, you'll be in the office any way, call back to your agent, give them the number. When they have it all filled out, 1) have them Text a shot of the policy to you, 2) have them Email it to you, if you can pick that up on your phone, 3) Best?, find a fax machine, then, they can fax you a hard copy to get you home.

Insurance, to me, is a little like an Amex card, 'Don't Leave the Plant without it'.

I think I'll try the fax idea first but have them text and Email also, as back up.
A week or so prior to scheduled production Elio should be able to provide a vin number. They could fax or Email you your "deal sheet" showing your vin, color, options and the balance of your sale price. Take it to your bank or credit union if you're financing and contact your insurance company with your vin number. Have insurance card and check in hand when you get to Shreveport.
As our vehicles are reserved and being built to order I would expect EM to know our VIN numbers before they even begin assembling our vehicles.

It benefits both the buyers and EM if they allow us to finalize the purchase ahead of delivery. This way we would have full documentation so we can arrange financing (if needed), fully arrange insurance, and in many states even receive tags all before we pick up our vehicles. Having all this done ahead of time is convenient for buyers and would also reduce the amount of work involved on EM's side upon delivery. When receiving our new vehicles pretty much all that would be required is showing your ID, inspecting the vehicle, and signing some forms confirming everything is as promised and that you accept delivery of the vehicle. This procedure would also be the same whether you pick up your vehicle in Shreveport or have it delivered somewhere else.

Last edited:

Dooltd

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You are right, Goofyone, when was the last time you heard of anyone "breaking in" a modern car? That's 50's-60's thinking.
I guess it's an idea that we Boomers carry on from our past. :cool:

#1471 Silver, auto, cruise control, GPS, leather, back-up camera, sunroof.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Let your insurance agent/carrier know you are adding a vehicle (motorcycle) to your policy............picking the vehicle up at the Factory and driving it home. Follow their instructions to the detail in terms of the individual carrier requirements to guarantee coverage......document the coverage if paying cash. The lending institutions will certainly have all the info they need before they write the check for you to pick it up.......including proof of insurance. Most States require proof of insurance in the vehicle.........and Elio Plates.........until it's officially licensed.

Top Bottom