• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Mature People Only?

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Lots of comments on Facebook about the Elio being ugly. I think it's hard for some or even most folks to step outside the box. We are all used to seeing 4-door sedans. Something with 3 wheels? "Ugly." We are used to seeing now 17 and 18" tires. Smaller tires? "Ugly." Fancy metal shiny wheels are the norm for many years now. Wheel covers with the body color and black? "Ugly."

Nothing ugly, it's just different. I like it!

In fact, new cars these days pretty much all look the same. You need to see the emblem on the grill to tell what make the car is. Very little styling happening recently. They don't look bad, they are just all the same.
You are so right. In fact the ones that look the most different are the small cars. All the rest look alike. I love different as anyone who knows me well will tell you. That is one reason I make my own clothing. I do not like seeing myself coming and going. I want to stand out in the crowd. :-) Z

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well, the obvious reason is that younger folks have a different agenda - typically saving money is not high on their list and they are not very familiar with costs of maintenance, insurance rates, etc. The biggest impact on this group will occur when the Elio is 1) paraded with stylish motorcycle fenders, and alloy wheels, and 2) contains a turbocharged engine
and becomes a pocket rocket - the most speed for the dollar on the planet. It shouldn't surprise anyone that Paul Elio's concentration is on things valued most by his and the generation before his. Only the economically depressed young would respond to Paul' message, and perhaps not many of them. The incredibly ugly two-tone paint job that has been adopted for the standard vehicle to save a few bucks on paint and make the supply system simpler is a good indication of how easily a few bad choices can turn off all those who value good looks. Paul needs to bring along examples with alloy wheels, motorcycle fenders and no black plastic wheel covers wherever he presents the vehicle. By not doing so, he is ruining the car's image. Casual passers by have no idea that the car's apppearance can be enormously improved via available options. Paul should hire, then listen to a stylist. For many a car, the difference between great sales versus OK sales is looks, pure looks. Looks sell, because people like attractive things, and cars have never been solely utilitarian objects. And it usually doesn't cost any more to build an attractive car than an ugly car.

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder"...."Form follows function." What the Elio has to offer IS what makes it beautiful. People who prefer "looks over great mileage" have more "dollars than sense". So are you implying that YOU won't buy it if the "looks" don't improve? o_O

Last edited:

Dusty921

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You are so right. In fact the ones that look the most different are the small cars. All the rest look alike. I love different as anyone who knows me well will tell you. That is one reason I make my own clothing. I do not like seeing myself coming and going. I want to stand out in the crowd. :) Z

Nothing shouts UGLY like a 74 Impala with 22" rims and a paint job done with a trowel unless it's 2-74 Impalas with 22" rims and paint job done with a trowel!!

The Elio is cute!!

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If they wanted to get some of the college crowd interested (tweetin' ?), they could get the Elio 'wrapped' with the campus' team colors, and set up their display just outside of the stadium/arena entrance before a game.

This brings to mind that "Universities" could also be in the market for some some miserly "fleet vehicles." I had heard that "UT" has over 1,500 vehicles in their fleet. I know, they need the "multi passenger vans" but, I imagine there are some staff members who are always driving alone.

And Yes! School color wraps would be great advertising! How about our resident graphic artist doing some "virtual wraps?''

tazairforce

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You are so right. In fact the ones that look the most different are the small cars. All the rest look alike. I love different as anyone who knows me well will tell you. That is one reason I make my own clothing. I do not like seeing myself coming and going. I want to stand out in the crowd. :) Z
Z, After the pictures I saw of you in Portland, You Do Stand Out in a Crowd. The Only thing I can think of to further your ability to Stand Out, would be if you added a big White 'Cowboy Hat' with an Elio emblem, on the front, and 'Zelio' under the emblem, in 'Creamcicle', worn with your Elio 'T' shirt/dress, of course!!! That should kick it up a notch or 2. lol

GaPawn

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
.....<snip>

In fact, new cars these days pretty much all look the same. You need to see the emblem on the grill to tell what make the car is. Very little styling happening recently. They don't look bad, they are just all the same.

You've got that right!!! I can't tell what I'm looking at 3/4 of the time any more. And when it comes to colors, it's either black, or white, or silver!!!

None of the car companies are interested in breaking the mold. All they seem to want to do is copy the other guy.

The last car that was truly different was the Aztec! :eek:

Oh wait, maybe it's not ALL bad that they are doing nothing more than copying each others' mediocre designs..... :rolleyes:

LOTS of room for the Elio to make a statement here. Actually I hope they really push the "individualizing" of the Elios. I think that is what will appeal most to the younger buyers. If it's cheap and easy to make "their" Elio stand out from the crowd, IMHO, that'll be a BIG plus to the younger buyers!!! :cool: :D

RMClubfitter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" o_O

Isn't that the truth. When I first saw the Elio there was an attraction that immediately said, I gotta drive this car. But I thought, before you get all taken in with her beauty you'd better learn a little bit about her. So I began to research the internet to try to find out all I could about Elio. The more I read about Elio the more I realized that she was a lot more than just hot. She had qualities that suggested that this could be the beginning of a long relationship. Just think, zero to 60 in less than 10 seconds, can reach speeds of over 100 MPH, (that is faster than my older body dares to go), and all that and she still gets 84 MPG. I realized that this was the one I'd been looking for. That beauty was indeed, in this case, more than just skin deep. Then I awoke from my sleep and realized that I was dreaming. Much to my disappointment I realized that I could not have Elio at the present time. That I would have to wait until September of 2015. All I can say is, Elio please do not disappoint me. I have been waiting for you for a long time. Hot is youthful; beautiful is ageless. I will wait for you Elio.

Well this thread said "For Mature People Only". Hope I did not read too much into the thread title.:);)

ncarter124

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I check out most members information, and it seems to me, most of us are between 40-75 years old. Why is that? we need more "20 somethings" to get interested in this vehicle! Anyone have any ideas how to convince the younger generation that this, could be the next big thing in transportation? At 47, I feel out of touch with them, but if something in their world takes off in social media, it can go gang busters in a matter of days. Any thoughts?

I'm personally not sure. I just hit 34 so I am a bit younger than the group, but I was noticing that "everyone here is older than me" when I first started posting. For me personally it will be a work car so I can keep miles off of my other toys that aren't so fuel-friendly. I have a Wrangler and am shopping for a 2003/2004 Mustang Cobra, so having a good commuter car is key for me. I'd say once they get on the road the others will join in. I think the younger age ranges tend to be bigger skeptics toward things of this nature.

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
LOTS of room for the Elio to make a statement here. Actually I hope they really push the "individualizing" of the Elios. I think that is what will appeal most to the younger buyers. If it's cheap and easy to make "their" Elio stand out from the crowd, IMHO, that'll be a BIG plus to the younger buyers!!! :cool: :D
I agree that the individual self-expression that the Elio provides will be a great attraction. Hell, at my old age I have several designs I'm playing with just to make mine different or to draw attention to veteran issues and the Elio itself.

Top Bottom