• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Towing The Elio / Towing With The Elio

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Mini Mate . Would love to pull this with the Elio. Was looking at it a few years ago for the bike, but never pursued it. You can get a swivel hitch which I think would be ideal.
I actually contacted the company and told them about the Elio and the fact that I would like to own one of these. My issue is, it costs half as much as an Elio and you still have to tow it. LOL :-) Z

Charles Stanley

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I like the idea of towing a motorcycle type trailer with my Elio. I have looked a littel to see what kind of trailers are out there. The prices make me think i could build one as good or better for much less. Besides I get a kick out of designing most anything, especially if I also get to build it. There are tons of videos on youtube showing people building small trailers, many small enough to be pulled by a motorcycle. If a motorcycle can pull one the Elio should be able to too.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I actually contacted the company and told them about the Elio and the fact that I would like to own one of these. My issue is, it costs half as much as an Elio and you still have to tow it. LOL :) Z

in late June while camping in Winona, MN a similar popup being towed by a trike was on the site next to us .... sorry, I didn't get a picture of it opened up but it was similar to the one in your video .... in the third picture you can see the coupler used to connect it to the trike .... it appears to me to have been designed for a regular 2 wheel bike

Jim

140622 001 Trike Popup 001.jpg
140622 001 Trike Popup 002.jpg
140622 001 Trike Popup 003.jpg

cortsdad2

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I just want to clarify that was not docsabre's opinion but what he was told by an Elio Motors representative at the latest showing in Los Angeles this past weekend.
Then the Elio rep has never been to Sturgis... Street Vibrations was just this last weekend in Reno, I had some buddies that went. I guess paint counts as clothing for the ladies there. Come to think of it, I do recall seeing a few "painted ladies" in Sturgis too!

gtv1vv

Reaction score
Given the fact that the gross vehicle weight with passengers and cargo will very likely be 1,750# or less, I wouldn't expect them to allow more than 750#. Possibly as little as 500#. Remember, it isn't so much about how much you can pull, it's also about how much can you safely stop. I wouldn't expect to get the official towing capacity until after the Production Prototype has been on the road for a while.
You are spot-on with comment about braking capacity. Remember you only have three now!

tommy

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
speculation is a good thing .... it creates conversations which stimulate thought .... throughout the comments in this thread it has been noted that Elio has stated their vehicle will be designed for flat towing .... theories expressed on how to do so have usually been accompanied with the proviso that we won't know until Elio announces what they recommend .... to me that's the way it should be .... now for a question : what is the probability that anchor points be installed as a standard feature ? .... if so, they will be designed and installed for use with a specific tow bar .... if they can make it work with reverse towing, my hope is the design will be such that it will facilitate both towing the Elio and towing with an Elio .. :)

Jim
I realize I may be hashing over old news, but I have a hard time understanding how any car can be towed in reverse any possible way without some sort of tow dolly or trailer owing to the fact that the rear wheel on the Elio is stationary---not a steerable wheel. It also appears to me that since on all cars, the steerable wheels---normally the front-- are aligned with varying amounts of toe in. Which isn't a problem as long as you only tow in reverse short distances--otherwise you wear the front tires out quickly. This all depends on whether I am right in assuming that that the car would be towed backwards----hence reverse towing.

Top Bottom