• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Towing The Elio / Towing With The Elio

tommy

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I stand corrected, as I remember front wheel drive vehicles have a negative toe since they pull forward essentially removing the slack from the bushings, ends and so forth. So pulling the car in reverse may not be a problem with that. But, I still stand with the problem on reverse towing with a stationary wheel next to the tow vehicle.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Has anyone heard about any "hard spots" being added to tie the Elio to a trailer. I'm planning to let mine ride behind a motorhome.

Welcome to ElioOwners.com!

If you read through this thread you will see a lot of discussion on this subject however the quick summary is that Elio motors has said that this vehicle would definitely include provisions for being towed behind an RV. They have not yet detailed what exactly these provisions will be however they have said the RV dinghy market is one they are fully aware of as the Elio vehicle would be a perfect fit for this type of activity.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Elio motors has said that this vehicle would definitely include provisions for being towed behind an RV.

they have said the RV dinghy market is one they are fully aware of as the Elio vehicle would be a perfect fit for this type of activity.

as I have noted in other post, we are on the road with our camper for 6 months or so a year .... there is no doubt in my mind that Elio Motors will find a large market with those who tow vehicles behind their motor homes .... in addition, there are 5th wheel and even travel trailer toy haulers available that can accommodate and Elio .... the weight, ease of entry/exit, mileage, safety rating, designed to be towed wheels down are all factors which lend it to that market

Jim

CompTrex

Elio Addict
Reaction score
as I have noted in other post, we are on the road with our camper for 6 months or so a year .... there is no doubt in my mind that Elio Motors will find a large market with those who tow vehicles behind their motor homes .... in addition, there are 5th wheel and even travel trailer toy haulers available that can accommodate and Elio .... the weight, ease of entry/exit, mileage, safety rating, designed to be towed wheels down are all factors which lend it to that market

Jim

I think I could build a ramp and fabricate something to haul it on top of my pop-up! That'd be fun!

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I think I could build a ramp and fabricate something to haul it on top of my pop-up! That'd be fun!

Or you could build something like this :D:
Coleman2.jpg

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

depending on the popup, you might be able to tow it with an Elio ..:).. if you have a roof mounted AC, complications will surface quickly .... tires, suspension, axle(s) would have to be upgraded .... after over 10 years working in RV sales and while traveling through all of the lower 48 states, I've seen too many "interesting" rigs to discount anything, good example below .... a pickup slide in camper welded to a boat trailer ..:D

Jim

100703 002a interesting rig.jpg

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I stand corrected, as I remember front wheel drive vehicles have a negative toe since they pull forward essentially removing the slack from the bushings, ends and so forth. So pulling the car in reverse may not be a problem with that. But, I still stand with the problem on reverse towing with a stationary wheel next to the tow vehicle.

I think the points you make are still valid. Because the forces generated during "braking" are far greater than the forces during acceleration. And if you have ever "braked" a car with "toe-out" you know how "squirrely'' it can get. 400lb tongue weight could be an issue also, as (I think) many people will take advantage of the extra storage space "in the Elio" and could push that tongue weight over the safe limits.
I think the easiest, most "hassle free" method will be to pull it with a tow dolly. I don't see how this will add any unusual stress to the rear suspension, as the front wheels will only be raised about 3'' off the ground. It should tow the same as any other compact car...only with less weight. Only potential issue that I envision, because of the wide track, is the wheel skirts coming in contact with the dolly fenders. my 2 cents

Top Bottom