• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Towing The Elio / Towing With The Elio

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
This may have already been mentioned, but I read somewhere that it's ability to be flat towed was a positive attribute of the auto gear case being used. seems they plan a flat tow.

flat towing is highly valued by those who tow a vehicle behind a motorhome .... Elio Motors has mentioned that this is one of the markets where they expect to have a demand for their product

Jim

tommy

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I really don't see any problem in flat towing it front first like any other car, but using a tow dolly would save wear and tear on the trans and differential not to mention the tires. I should think you could remove the fenders completely if there is any interference. So yes, I am with you Outsydthebox on the dolly. Unless of course if you could use a full trailer.

skygazer6033

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Not sure flat towing or even towing with a dolly is a good idea. Imagine trying to avoid pot holes with the Elio behind a 35 ft RV, especially in a turn. The Elio could really be taking a beating on a rough road. IMHO the best way to tow would be backward with a towbar designed to lift the rear wheel off the ground. Or even better with the rear wheel removed altogether. This would allow it to be towed in a more level attitude which would decrease the chances of hitting the nose on the ground.

Nate_tx

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Hitch would be great - thinking - bicycles, camping equipment,misbehaving stepchild, kayak, shopping spree, keg for party,supplies for cross country trip. Assuming the max capacity will likely be 200-300lbs load. And remember with such a light vehicle any extra weight or drag will exponentially effect MPG vs say a pickup truck that already gets only 20 hwy mpg. jus sayin

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Not sure flat towing or even towing with a dolly is a good idea. Imagine trying to avoid pot holes with the Elio behind a 35 ft RV, especially in a turn. The Elio could really be taking a beating on a rough road. IMHO the best way to tow would be backward with a towbar designed to lift the rear wheel off the ground. Or even better with the rear wheel removed altogether. This would allow it to be towed in a more level attitude which would decrease the chances of hitting the nose on the ground.

At the air show, Jerome said it would be "set up/ ready" to flat tow. Altho I like the concept of lifting the back end up and towing backward, It would (IMO) take the normal front end alignment (toe in) and turn it into "toe out", potentially causing high speed wobble and unusual tire wear.

Top Bottom