• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

2017 Nascar Season Thread

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Shrub is <gasp> a Bunny Killer!!

Shrub aka Kyle Busch was in the 2nd practice session at Sonoma today, flying low down the back stretch (right after the S-turns in the fastest part of the track) when a wild jack-rabbit went running across the track in front of him.
Jack-rabbit inner parts splatter all over the track, and he had a hole in his lower grill section where said bunny tried to enter.

18 grill.gif

The Safety crew going to clean the track had to watch out for the California Condors (3) that were trying to beat them to what was left on the track.

I can see it coming on the 18 roof above the LF window Kyle Bush [win sticker] [ win sticker] [win sticker] [ bunny]

http://www.sportal.co.nz/motorsport...rabbit-video-nascar/q9dy9xsr5ne01x39o6sm2x45q

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I'd sure like to see Tony go our on top ... info below is taken from this link at NASCAR.com

"Remember back in 2011, Tony Stewart went on the record to say he didn't think his No. 14 team would win a NASCAR Sprint Cup Series championship?

Remember what actually happened? Stewart won five of the 10 races in the Chase for the NASCAR Sprint Cup to beat Carl Edwards for an improbable championship, the third of his storied career.

Stewart's win at Sonoma Raceway on Sunday, his first of 2016 and first in more than three years, brought back memories of that historic run and inevitably has led some to wonder if Stewart has one more magical march in him.

"I'm going to stick with my approach from 2011," Stewart said to NASCAR.com's Jonathan Merryman on Sunday afternoon in Victory Lane. "I said we couldn't win it then and we ended up winning it. I feel like we're just starting to get going."

Want another similarity to 2011? One stat stands out and perhaps provides another layer of continuity between the two seasons.

Through race Nos. 9-16 of the season -- Stewart's first eight events of the year after missing the start of the season due to a severe back injury -- his average finish is 17.125.

In 2011, Stewart's average finish from race Nos. 9-16? Exactly 17.125"

:D

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Right now, Tony has to work on just getting into the top 30 (he's 32 currently)
If he gets in the top 30, his win will put him in the chase.

Tony's older now than he was in 2011, he's also physically in worse shape than he was, and mentally is anyone's guess; the team is completely different, including the resources; since he's parting company with Chevy and going to Ford, SHR no longer get's invited to the Hendricks meetings, or access to all of the top of the line stuff from them.

It's great that Tony finally won a race again; but I don't give him the best of odds to win the championship.
I'm not putting him down, I'm actually a Tony fan; but I also have a realest side.

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I lived near the Sonoma track and it is one of my favorite tracks. Great views no matter where you are on the track. Smoke was lucky that Hamlin screwed up on the last turn. Smoke is too good to let him get away with a mistake like that

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I lived near the Sonoma track and it is one of my favorite tracks. Great views no matter where you are on the track. Smoke was lucky that Hamlin screwed up on the last turn. Smoke is too good to let him get away with a mistake like that
Denny had the same thing happen that let him get past Tony in the first place at the top of the hill; wheel hop. At turn 11 (the hairpin) Denny went deep (braking late) and him locked the RF tire, and had the back end hopping around; Smoke went inside him, and if you watch the video from the overhead view, Smoke forced Denny into the wall (Smoke pretty much drove straight out of that turn so Denny had no choice but to drive into the wall; once he hit it, Tony put his car back on line and won; Joey almost past Denny when he was trying to recover from hitting the wall but didn't get there in time. Tony even admitted that he forced him into the wall, and Denny said he would have done the same if he was in front.

That was one of the best races they had all year. :thumb:

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I've tried to like watching road course racing but simply can't get excited about it .... I don't care for racing on any track (oval or road course) where its hard to pass .... at Sonoma for example you have a 2 mile track with 2 turns (#6 & 11) where passing is said to be possible .... if I was driving, I'd probably prefer a road course but not for watching

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've tried to like watching road course racing but simply can't get excited about it .... I don't care for racing on any track (oval or road course) where its hard to pass .... at Sonoma for example you have a 2 mile track with 2 turns (#6 & 11) where passing is said to be possible .... if I was driving, I'd probably prefer a road course but not for watching
Love this track because it is great viewing some fantastic racing

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Love this track because it is great viewing some fantastic racing
Viewing is better now since they redid the grade on the majority of that track; it wasn't always.
Plus when they first started racing Sonoma they used more of the track; they used to go up the hill like they do now, but part way across that backstretch they would make a right, go down into a left hander, go under a bridge, do another left onto the run out area of the drag strip, up the hill, back onto the backstretch, right, little straight, right again, down into the S turns. That part of the track is still there, but they don't use it; it gave 2 or 3 more places to pass.

Top Bottom