• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

2017 Production A Long Shot...

TCBronson

Elio Addict
Reaction score

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I believe the Elio will still be built. They have said they have the needed money to complete development, though I hope they have not underestimated that.

I believe they will probably get the ATVM loan which should enable production. Their binding commitment was apparently to satisfy an ATVM requirement.

We will not see any real progress with the factory until they have the money for production (such as the ATVM loan) and development is complete.

The ATVM loan may be decided shortly after reaching 65,000 reservations.

EM supposedly has all the money to complete development. Once they acquire all the money needed to start production, we may not hear much from them until all is completed and they want us to choose options. If I were Paul Elio, I would want to complete development, go into production, and shut the rest of the world out. I suspect interacting with people and press is not that pleasant for him. It would not be for me.

Marshall

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've never ridden. But I'm a fan of Elio anyway. I'm also a fan of larger crumple zones. No matter how secure they make the passenger compartment, deceleration at a survivable rate is a matter of time and distance. In other words, double the distance of the crumple zone and cut the deceleration rate in half. That's why Smart Cars with a secure passenger compartment but short crumple zone aren't very survivable. Motorcycles are far more survivable than they should be. Perhaps because there are so many falls rather than collisions and many collisions are side swipes.

Marshall

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I believe the Elio will still be built. They have said they have the needed money to complete development, though I hope they have not underestimated that.

I believe they will probably get the ATVM loan which should enable production. Their binding commitment was apparently to satisfy an ATVM requirement.

We will not see any real progress with the factory until they have the money for production (such as the ATVM loan) and development is complete.

The ATVM loan may be decided shortly after reaching 65,000 reservations.

EM supposedly has all the money to complete development. Once they acquire all the money needed to start production, we may not hear much from them until all is completed and they want us to choose options. If I were Paul Elio, I would want to complete development, go into production, and shut the rest of the world out. I suspect interacting with people and press is not that pleasant for him. It would not be for me.
I agree that it's an honest effort to get it built. But startups are risky by nature, even if you do everything right. I'll be pleased as punch to see production of even the fleet 100 by December of 2018. But sooner won't bother me either. It's just my experience with burocracy has left me a bit jaded when it comes to actually reaching a stated goal, especially time related goals.

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I agree that it's an honest effort to get it built. But startups are risky by nature, even if you do everything right. I'll be pleased as punch to see production of even the fleet 100 by December of 2018. But sooner won't bother me either. It's just my experience with burocracy has left me a bit jaded when it comes to actually reaching a stated goal, especially time related goals.
....and I will be pleased just to hear the news that they've got the ATVM fund this year!! My honest guess is things can accelerate to complete the remaining E-series (build and test) followed by the 100 fleet with the infusion of that money. I'm also honestly guessing that with the ATVM approval which maybe just enough to start production but not enough to sustain it, the other funding source will materialize. Fingers crossed. This will be an exciting year full of anticipation for 3wheelers!

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The ATVM loan get them to production and create 1500 jobs immediately. Then the sales will keep them going and then allow them to pay back the loan. As of now, Elio is the best thing going to show that what Trump is doing is right. Getting 1500 instant American jobs that is from an old discarded Big 3 American manufacturer, good for the environment and good for the poor is a way to just shut everyone up and show that Elio is the best thing you can do, short and long term. Trump is going to do this as he wins the acceptance for people on both sides. I'd suspect that by the end of the week, the loan is approved. If it was up to me, I'd just take away the money from some other DOE project that will result in nothing and just give it to Elio. It's a small price to pay for overwhelming success.

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The ATVM loan get them to production and create 1500 jobs immediately. Then the sales will keep them going and then allow them to pay back the loan. As of now, Elio is the best thing going to show that what Trump is doing is right. Getting 1500 instant American jobs that is from an old discarded Big 3 American manufacturer, good for the environment and good for the poor is a way to just shut everyone up and show that Elio is the best thing you can do, short and long term. Trump is going to do this as he wins the acceptance for people on both sides. I'd suspect that by the end of the week, the loan is approved. If it was up to me, I'd just take away the money from some other DOE project that will result in nothing and just give it to Elio. It's a small price to pay for overwhelming success.
I like your scenario better! And I would humbly eat my words and apologize for starting this thread if even just a few (not the complete 100 fleet) are produced at the Shreveport plant and delivered by the end of this year! A lot of things can get done in 10 months with that ATVM loan approval.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Correction, it's not 1,500 immediately, it's 1,500 eventually, but at start it's 750; enough to fill one shift, once the one shift has it down pat, and the shift is running at full strength, is when they will bring in the other 750, and start the second shift.

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As I recall it was 650 & 850
but whose counting.... :D

IMG_0313.JPG

Top Bottom