• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

2017 Production A Long Shot...

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I would not be surprised if in the future, EM made videos of vehicles being assembled. But I believe it will be in the future. In the early stages they will have their hands full doing other things.
The videos of German auto assembly plants are impressive. The buildings are impressive and everyone is wearing uniforms.
I taped almost all of the How it's Made -dream cars- but the one I'm more impressed is the Bugatti Veyron and how they developed it's crazy 16 cylinder engine! Or the BMW's i8! On a side note- I've seen old well off drivers hugging the fastest lane in their Porsche, Maserati, BMW M3's, etc driving 65mph!!! Just makes me nuts!!!:D:mad:

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As it stands EM is saying their base price would be $7,600, with a production run of 125,000 and their target of $6,800 achievable at a production run of 250,000. A jaw dropping value no matter what.

Literally: "Additionally, the estimated $7,600 retail price is based on a 125,000 annual production volume and a BOM cost target of $5,654 that management expects to achieve at start of production. At 250,000 annual sales, we believe we can achieve the target $6,800 retail price due to lowered BOM costs (a target BOM cost of $5,132) resulting from economies of scale. Our management believes that based on the public response received to date, selling 250,000 vehicles per year at the $6,800 retail price is achievable."
Yes it is John. I think I can still buy it at $7600 w/out getting upset :D, after all I'm getting the 5 speed! But I have to hold off on the upgraded stereo and speakers!

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The engines doubtless would come from Linamar. I really wish we knew the details of that relationship. But it seems to be key to actual production of the car in Shreveport. And it may be key to producing the 100 pre production cars as well. All told Elio Motors needs 125 engines as of now, and that is a lot of engines to build one at a time.
No doubt things have been put in motion and kicked into higher gear in a time frame "only them knows" but exciting none the less for us "waiters"!:D

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The Elio itself is not suited to places where you pack a zillion people onto a motor scooter. But the engine may do very well in a very wide number of applications, particularly in the third world. So don't look for overseas sales of the Elio certainly not in the early years, but do look for widespread use of the engine via Linamar.
I almost forgot that our ELIO is just "thinner" (slimmer) but just as long w/ most cars!:D

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If Linamar is going to peddle the engine all over the world and modify whatever needs to be modified and have examples to show clients etc etc they will need quite a few more engines than 125 and that is before they make their first sale. It would not surprise me if the engine was in large scale production in a couple of months. Large scale is defined on the Kaiser Production Scale as somewhat less than mass production but a hell of a lot more than a few samples.
Better contact Linamar if they will offer a "turbo" version! Here I go again!:D

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Speaking of the 5 star crash rating, since motorcycles and as far we know autocycles currently don't have crash ratings it was my thought that EM is designing the Elio to achieve a 5 star crash rating and that they (EM) would be doing the crash themselves. If the Elio can pass the 5 star crash test then that gives them huge bragging rights that will help sell more Elios. I don't see the government giving Elio the 5 star rating directly, but independent testing that meet or exceeds the government ratings is just as good in my opinion. I can't wait to hear the results of the e series tests especially the crash test.
Did it ever occur to you that EM's pursue of the 5 star rating is in preparation for the "4wheel" ELIO version in the future???:D

Top Bottom