• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

2017 Production A Long Shot...

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The Elio itself is not suited to places where you pack a zillion people onto a motor scooter. But the engine may do very well in a very wide number of applications, particularly in the third world. So don't look for overseas sales of the Elio certainly not in the early years, but do look for widespread use of the engine via Linamar.

This is the enclosed cabin narrow three wheeler EV commuter concept the high density population, high traffic, overseas urban market is looking for that's less than 3' wide. Me too!
image.jpeg

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Did it ever occur to you that EM's pursue of the 5 star rating is in preparation for the "4wheel" ELIO version in the future???:D
Elio is not pursuing a 5 star rating. They can't -- because 3 wheel vehicles simply can't test under the same protocols as are required for the 5-star rating. I've written about this elsewhere. What Elio is doing is working with IHS (Institute of Highway Safety), run by the insurance companies, to agree on test methods (protocols) which will yield equivalently reliable results. Furthermore, even in the automotive world, 5-star ratings now require active crash avoidance systems, which Elio does not have (and can't do for the targeted sales price). So many cars have been barred from this rating by lack of crash avoidance technology.

See the Fiat USA website for how they handle this: "best safety rating available in its class" or some such wording.

If you look up how the tests are done, it's immediately obvious that Elio has to test differently. You cannot test with two front seat passengers (dummies) in the elio!

Last edited:

Marshall

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Got to remember Elio has quietly stepped away from the 5 star rating. Maybe not so much of the Elio design but as more the rules have changed in the last year or two.

The overall footprint of the Elio is bigger than you realize. The "box" it sits in is still real close to my wife's Altima.

More famous than Elon Musk? That will take some kind of doing! Paul is not dreaming of making space travel affordable to the masses as far as I know. Elon has many different things going on, and that is indicative of what having lots and lots of dollars available to you at a young age and being insanely driven. In an interview I saw (60 Minutes?) he mentioned how he doesn't understand why people want weekends off! Don't misunderstand me, he is well deserved of all his accomplishments.

All that being said, Go Team Elio!
The Elon love is getting scary close to worship and cult status.

Note added 6/1/16. This is not criticism of Elon, just some of his followers.

Last edited:

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Elio is not pursuing a 5 star rating. They can't -- because 3 wheel vehicles simply can't test under the same protocols as are required for the 5-star rating. I've written about this elsewhere. What Elio is doing is working with IHS (Institute of Highway Safety), run by the insurance companies, to agree on test methods (protocols) which will yield equivalently reliable results. Furthermore, even in the automotive world, 5-star ratings now require active crash avoidance systems, which Elio does not have (and can't do for the targeted sales price). So many cars have been barred from this rating by lack of crash avoidance technology.

See the Fiat USA website for how they handle this: "best safety rating available in its class" or some such wording.

If you look up how the tests are done, it's immediately obvious that Elio has do test differently. You cannot test with two front seat passengers (dummies) in the elio!
Good info Ekh.

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The Elon love is getting scary close to worship and cult status.
He's a little overrated. I bet if you have the kind of money he's got, You can think big and make projects like he has. Don't get me wrong, I applaud his vision....If I have his money, I can envision to change our roads to "magnetically levitate cars ( kinda maglev trains) from underneath but with opposing poles all around the cars so it won't crash w/ others. I want to create a crash proof passenger planes ( I'm afraid of flights...and heights) that in the event of a catastrophic engine failure, several helium balloons (not parachute that won't handle high altitude) deploys all at once and lands the plane to safety w/ floatation device in case of sea landing. :D

johnsnownw

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I wouldn't say Musk is overrated. He came to this country with nothing, and built the empire with his own two hands. I'd call that the American ideal, really.

I think that many of the people that look up to him do more damage to his reputation than he does. But there is also a large faction of people that, for whatever reason, put the guy down at every turn. Never have understood it myself.

Anyway, what I like about Musk is that he tends to put his money where his mouth is, and that's something I respect.

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I wouldn't say Musk is overrated. He came to this country with nothing, and built the empire with his own two hands. I'd call that the American ideal, really.

I think that many of the people that look up to him do more damage to his reputation than he does. But there is also a large faction of people that, for whatever reason, put the guy down at every turn. Never have understood it myself.

Anyway, what I like about Musk is that he tends to put his money where his mouth is, and that's something I respect.
Very well said. I agree too.

am_fm_radio

Elio Fan
Reaction score
PART 1-Well, ELIO or ARCIMOTO to me is a dream that probably won't happen. Both are blowing smoke, as a good carnival barker, PT Barnum would be proud of..Might as well of reserved a flying car. It would be great if it does. And mind you - I have an all in reservation number that is less than 1/2 of all of the reservations today...I've got 10 grandsons under 13. I figured I'd buy one, order the next, then let the boys get the older one, as soon as I got the next one... But I don't see it happening. My feeling is a 2-3 year old used one would be perfect for a college bound guy. My thinking- Grandpa isn't going to pay for college but I'll provide transportation to get my grandsons to a job to work their way through college. Akin to the VW Bug in the 1960's- Basic transportation, nothing more.. Lot's of college students drove them, delivering pizza to rich kids at the college.

PART 2- If I was ELIO or supreme ruler of the Universe.. That FIRST 100 WOULD NOT GO TO SOME SECRET PREDETERMINED FLEET USE... BUT----
Kind of Like Willie Wonka's Golden Ticket.. By totally random LOTTERY to everyone that was all in prior to build date. If they declined purchase, the unit would go to a reserve lottery pick. Think of the publicity!! Think of the additional reservations!! Willie Wonka at his finest....

BTW- isn't that how it was kind of supposed to work from the beginning?? I don't remember when I made my all in reservation there was a - First 100 exemption..

So who changed the rules and why am I the only one calling them out on it???

That was not part of the contract we agreed to. The basis of getting a reservation was to be put in line. so they would be doled out as built. -- Hello lawyers reading this.......Aren't we all 100 further back in line because someone is taking cuts?

They will make excuses- pre-production testing..Brovo Sierra - 100 is a production. (why not keep going?) GM-FORD-CHRYSLER-et al doesn't have pre-production runs. They get them to market and fix problems after.. its called a RECALL! No ELIO sold someone- 100 and part of the deal was to move them to the front of the line. Wonder what they paid?($6800 each and move to the front of the line) Call it whatever. I call it smoke.. Why not test in the real world with real people... The rich kid moves to the front of the line.. it's called cutting...Who'd they sell -- The Post Office? FEDEX?, FTD?, PIZZA HUT? That will say a lot when we find out. Inquiring minds would like to know. My BET- Post Office- that's where the first SAGWAYS went.

PART 3- I feel like I'm sailing with Christopher Columbus. I can see past the deck, and am not seeing the end of the earth, But I'm seeing the same thing I saw yesterday and the day before..I'm also wondering if I'm not seeing the end of the earth or the new world because we're not moving either. Are we really moving forward? Don't tell me there is wind in our sails, we may be anchored, and you're not telling us. Looking Forward looks just like looking back..At this point all we can do is ride, but we'll be pissed if we don't see the new world soon. In 1492 that would mean you were strung up or had your throat slit A Day later, Columbus might not been noteworthy in history..I recalled a bird landed on the ship giving hope of land near and saved his butt...I also think I'm not the only one thinking..

Last edited:
Top Bottom