• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

2017 Production A Long Shot...

xtspode

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Because "safer than a motorcycle in an accident" doesn't seem like a good sales pitch slogan.
Because "safer than a motorcycle in an accident" doesn't seem like a good sales pitch slogan.
I have been mulling over your comment. If you look at it purely from an accident and safety side there is no reason for motorcycles or cars to even exist. There is a risk to getting out of bed.
The Sales pitch is that it is fun to drive and it is affordable and environmentally responsible. The motorcycle is exhilarating to ride even though it is much more risky in so many ways, but I will continue to ride whenever I can (nearly 40,000 on my KLR in the last 4 years). The Elio should give me similar freedom, fun and adventure with the added luxury of a heater and a roof. At 60 years old, I cant ride my Ducati like I used to and my KLR is a lot harder to pick up when I have it loaded down on a trip. I hate to admit that, but the Elio will do nicely for filling the desire to get out and wander around. With both windows down I expect it to feel a lot like the bike. It won't carve the corners the same, but I have a good imagination still to help fill in the gap.

No, the sales pitch should be something like.
1. You meet the nicest people in an Elio.
2. Turn back the clock to when transportation wasn't boring
3. Make it to work with your Smile
4. The Elio Grin. Find yours at Elio.configurator.order.com
5. Take the long way..Elio Motors
6. Next Services 500 miles... No Problem
7. Around the world on 296.44 gallons

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have been mulling over your comment. If you look at it purely from an accident and safety side there is no reason for motorcycles or cars to even exist. There is a risk to getting out of bed.
The Sales pitch is that it is fun to drive and it is affordable and environmentally responsible. The motorcycle is exhilarating to ride even though it is much more risky in so many ways, but I will continue to ride whenever I can (nearly 40,000 on my KLR in the last 4 years). The Elio should give me similar freedom, fun and adventure with the added luxury of a heater and a roof. At 60 years old, I cant ride my Ducati like I used to and my KLR is a lot harder to pick up when I have it loaded down on a trip. I hate to admit that, but the Elio will do nicely for filling the desire to get out and wander around. With both windows down I expect it to feel a lot like the bike. It won't carve the corners the same, but I have a good imagination still to help fill in the gap.

No, the sales pitch should be something like.
1. You meet the nicest people in an Elio.
2. Turn back the clock to when transportation wasn't boring
3. Make it to work with your Smile
4. The Elio Grin. Find yours at Elio.configurator.order.com
5. Take the long way..Elio Motors
6. Next Services 500 miles... No Problem
7. Around the world on 296.44 gallons

You sure your not writer for 'Mad Men'?

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This is yet another bullshit hit piece. It's full of inaccuracies and misrepresentations. (Not to mention the atrocious grammatical, spelling, and formatting errors.) Their "professor of Economics at Centenary College and Linco Chair of Business Administration" should know better than to lend his name to this garbage reporting. You'll notice that they didn't quote EM's letter addressing the improper interpretation of the financial statements.
My oldest daughter graduated from Centenary. They are more known for producing medical field graduates than economics graduates.

Tre'

Elio Addict
Reaction score
First, I never said "as safe as" in the Elio vs. motorcycle safety issue. That said, as was mentioned, you could expand that to say that an Elio is not as safe as a semi truck, or a bus, or a train...
A motorcycle is more maneuverable than a car, has most of the lane to use for accident avoidance, and it is VERY difficult to text, talk, eat, in/on while operating.
Proper riding gear has armor built in. Will it stop you from getting hurt in an accident? Maybe. I submit if car drivers operated within the law and paid attention to their driving you could probably cut motorcycle deaths in half. I own five now and have ridden on the street for 45+ years. One accident on the street. I have been hit what, three times in my cars over the years? My odds of NOT being in an accident are better on the bike. You can't really use 'lack of training' or 'driving irresponsibly' for safety unless you lump distracted driving in with any car...
Off the soap box now...

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
First, I never said "as safe as" in the Elio vs. motorcycle safety issue. That said, as was mentioned, you could expand that to say that an Elio is not as safe as a semi truck, or a bus, or a train...
A motorcycle is more maneuverable than a car, has most of the lane to use for accident avoidance, and it is VERY difficult to text, talk, eat, in/on while operating.
Proper riding gear has armor built in. Will it stop you from getting hurt in an accident? Maybe. I submit if car drivers operated within the law and paid attention to their driving you could probably cut motorcycle deaths in half. I own five now and have ridden on the street for 45+ years. One accident on the street. I have been hit what, three times in my cars over the years? My odds of NOT being in an accident are better on the bike. You can't really use 'lack of training' or 'driving irresponsibly' for safety unless you lump distracted driving in with any car...
Off the soap box now...
Give it up Tre'! :D The argument is between a motorcycle and ELIO. No matter how safe you ride with whatever means of transportation you use, there's always that chance of getting in an accident, your fault or not- that's why Insurance companies are big business. With that said, please tell me on a head on collision between a motorcycle and the ELIO, which rider would most likely get worse for injury? Ever heard of "crumple zones" on cars?? I've seen first hand accident of a motorcycle rider lying down as I passed by and saw his severed leg. That sight made me re-think about owning one!

PA Car Guy

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
Off the soap box now...
....the non-sensical posts continue - lets all let it rest. Tre, as soon as I get my Elio, I offer to joust with you at your earliest convenience. Talk is cheap, and I'm an action kinda guy. How 'bout it?

Top Bottom