• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

28th Annual Roth Capital Partners Conference

John Painter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Buy now! They're going fast! Only the name of the technique is new!
Yes what PE is talking about is similar to the perpetual "Going out of business" or "one day only" sale tactic. He has a much more refined application because it may be in EM's interest (not necessarily ours) to actually create a dynamic where it's actually difficult to get something. I'm not saying I like being a pawn of sorts, I'm just reflecting on having a new appreciation just how far down the rabbit hole PE is able to go, and it's definitely intriguing to me.

Maurtis

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Now how do you turbocharge an electric?

Temporarily add more volts? Say, have a mode (like using nitrous on a gas motor) where you can temporarily send more volts to the motor than it can sustain long term? On my electric bike, at full throttle I am sending 5,000 watts to my 1,000 watt motor (it is good for 2,000 watts continuous). I can push that many watts through it for a minute or two, but any longer and I melt stuff.

On my son's Power Wheels I set up a "turbo button" that would activate a relay to push an extra 6V to his 12V motors. Some people go 24V instead of 18V, but that can eat up the plastic gears.

Maurtis

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think the problem there is just space. Unless you want to make the Elio a one seater there is not much room for a battery pack and the motor. Arilea's idea of making longer, swooping fenders and placing the batteries in there (basically on the side of the car) looked neat, but then you expose them directly to impact on a collision which can lead to a fiery mess.

The various ideas floating around to extend the trunk area could hold a battery pack, but that places extra weight up high, which is not great for handling.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yes what PE is talking about is similar to the perpetual "Going out of business" or "one day only" sale tactic. He has a much more refined application because it may be in EM's interest (not necessarily ours) to actually create a dynamic where it's actually difficult to get something. I'm not saying I like being a pawn of sorts, I'm just reflecting on having a new appreciation just how far down the rabbit hole PE is able to go, and it's definitely intriguing to me.
Most going out of business sales actually have excess inventory/product to sell. It intrigues/puzzles Paul Elio and partners too. We are sure to wake up very soon from either a Dream or Nightmare.......whichever it turns out to be, but for now I'm still dreaming.

I'm so intrigued by this continued marketing strategy my head is about to explode after 8+ years.

Sailor Dog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think the problem there is just space. Unless you want to make the Elio a one seater there is not much room for a battery pack and the motor. Arilea's idea of making longer, swooping fenders and placing the batteries in there (basically on the side of the car) looked neat, but then you expose them directly to impact on a collision which can lead to a fiery mess.

The various ideas floating around to extend the trunk area could hold a battery pack, but that places extra weight up high, which is not great for handling.

Hybrid wouldn't makes sense then because of the inability to separate the batteries packs in part from the body of the Elio. Would likewise wonder about a fender bender :bump: or even the amount of road vibration the batteries would be subject to, as well as precipitation and snow conditions. How to properly protect the batteries?

How would placement of evenmore batteries be better in an electric Elio? Just curious how it might work!

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well, right now Elios are genuinely scarce! Demand outstrips availability by about 53,000 to 1. Demand for the stock, now, well, that's something different. Demand for that is boogeying around all over the place, and the supply is more than abundant.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hybrid wouldn't makes sense then because of the inability to separate the batteries packs in part from the body of the Elio. Would likewise wonder about a fender bender :bump: or even the amount of road vibration the batteries would be subject to, as well as precipitation and snow conditions. How to properly protect the batteries?

How would placement of evenmore batteries be better in an electric Elio? Just curious how it might work!
An Electric Elio (doubtless to be named the "Eel") would have a redesign with a double floor under which the batteries nestle. I doubt they'd lower the vehicle ground clearance, so you could expect the Eel to be 3-4 inches higher overall, with changes to steering, suspension, wheel / tire size and exhaust routing (maybe) to match.

Top Bottom