• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

6/3/14 - Yahoo Finance -

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Glenn, welcome to the forum and the Elio support group. Hope you find all the information you need to decide to make a reservation on your Elio. The members are helpful and friendly and the forum will provide hours of entertainment. Thanks for joining in this historical innovation to the transportation of the future. Enjoy the journey with us.

Horn

Elio Addict
Reaction score
In her test drive report on the Elio, I was a little surprised to hear "..no power steering." I use to drive a three cylinder Chevy Sprint w/o Power Steering and and it didn't matter much at all. That was a fun car...

I highly doubt that this girl has ever driven a car without power steering. It may have been wiser to put someone in there that has so they would haven't mentioned it or played it down.

I think some type of electric assist (not sure they make those) for the steering that would kick on under 5mph would be great for some people.

Joshua Caldwell

Staff member
Reaction score
Agreed, electric assist for parking maneuvers would be welcome. I've driven a car without power steering before and above 30mph you can't tell at all, even at 10mph it doesn't really matter, but parking was a workout on that car... of course it was 3-4 times heavier than the Elio.

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I still want one even if it doesn't have power steering, and 84 mile per gallon and $6800 is good enough for me.....
Caria, welcome and hope you will use the forum to find answers to any question you may have. If not please ask because the members are helpful and friendly. Congratulations for joining the Elio revolution.

CheeseheadEarl

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I highly doubt that this girl has ever driven a car without power steering. It may have been wiser to put someone in there that has so they would haven't mentioned it or played it down.

I think some type of electric assist (not sure they make those) for the steering that would kick on under 5mph would be great for some people.
EPS is getting commonplace on ATVs nowadays. I doubt a vehicle the size of the Elio would need more than that. Off the shelf parts again.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm assuming you mean off the shelf in terms of what Elio said how 85% iirc of the parts to build the Elio were "off the shelf"

I don't think that is true at all.

I would say it depends on how you define the 85%. You would be correct that 85% of the vehicle by volume of the vehicle is unlikely however if you were to list the individual components going into the vehicle 85% is a very possible. Even in a vehicle as simple of as this there are thousands of individual parts and the vast majority of these would be available off the shelf.

Catia

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Caria, welcome and hope you will use the forum to find answers to any question you may have. If not please ask because the members are helpful and friendly. Congratulations for joining the Elio revolution.
Thank you Jim, and I will enjoy being on this site and hope for many more years to come.

Top Bottom