• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

6/3/14 - Yahoo Finance -

Catia

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I saw this written "Hope is not a plan". I haven't been in an accident either and, of course, don't plan on being in one either... But some days, while driving to work, I wonder how I haven't already been in one!
I have always have a radar look on my mind to watch where you are driving and watch out for people drive. I ride a motorcycle about 95% to everywhere I need to go and use my wife car very limited.

tazairforce

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Rather than the airbag popping your hand off the wheel, if you hold it underhanded, you're more likely to add broken wrist to your injuries. Unless, your arm just gets trapped inside the steering wheel during the sudden stop... broken arm and no fun. But, many accidents happen while turning and I think most if not all of us end up with our forearms directly in front of the airbag at one point. I wonder what it feels like to stab yourself in the eye with your own elbow... Never d. I'd rather not know... LOL. But, we all take chances everyday.
Your rite Ty.
Yes. Every day we take chances. I like this quote,
" I believe the risks I take are justified by the sheer love of the life I lead " Charles Lynburg
Yep! just getting out of bed is a risk, but I'll risk it to live the life I lead.

Horn

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I would say it depends on how you define the 85%. You would be correct that 85% of the vehicle by volume of the vehicle is unlikely however if you were to list the individual components going into the vehicle 85% is a very possible. Even in a vehicle as simple of as this there are thousands of individual parts and the vast majority of these would be available off the shelf.

I still don't think that is anywhere near correct.

Where can you find all the window, body parts, interior and IAV engine for this car? I think that takes up a significant portion of the car. Now maybe my opinion of "off the shelf" is different, but IMO it means that the average consumer can currently buy the parts.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I still don't think that is anywhere near correct.

Where can you find all the window, body parts, interior and IAV engine for this car? I think that takes up a significant portion of the car. Now maybe my opinion of "off the shelf" is different, but IMO it means that the average consumer can currently buy the parts.
LOL... the engine, for instance would be one that you can't buy but the 40 bolts in it, you probably could... either WYoming, it's a crappy quote. Surely, the front and back glass is new but what about the sides? That is just a thought. I wonder where they got the glass.

Horn

Elio Addict
Reaction score
LOL... the engine, for instance would be one that you can't buy but the 40 bolts in it, you probably could... either WYoming, it's a crappy quote. Surely, the front and back glass is new but what about the sides? That is just a thought. I wonder where they got the glass.

So does 85% mean in terms of number of parts. Then yes 40 bolts + 1 head, 1 intake, 1 block = 43 parts (keeping it simple). 40/43 is 93%.....But I'm thinking like 85% of the whole pie

If you worked as a mechanic and your boss asked you to get "85% of the small block" and you just bring back a few bolts, you might get slapped or fired.

I could see the small back glass, but highly doubt the window glass.

Now if by 85% off the shelf he means that when/if these start rolling out, they will make sure that parts stores have a significant amount of parts, then that is possible. But not as of right now....no way!

Reactions: Ty

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
So does 85% mean in terms of number of parts. Then yes 40 bolts + 1 head, 1 intake, 1 block = 43 parts (keeping it simple). 40/43 is 93%.....But I'm thinking like 85% of the whole pie

If you worked as a mechanic and your boss asked you to get "85% of the small block" and you just bring back a few bolts, you might get slapped or fired.

I could see the small back glass, but highly doubt the window glass.

Now if by 85% off the shelf he means that when/if these start rolling out, they will make sure that parts stores have a significant amount of parts, then that is possible. But not as of right now....no way!
I actually agree with you. I just don't see it. Now, if he said "85% of the parts are technologically the same as what you can find off the shelf", then I might agree. But, unless you use my ridiculous example (and yours too), I don't see how it is possible. Well, I guess it COULD be true about P5 since the engine, tranny, etc are actually off Geo's shelf.

Top Bottom