• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Advertising Incentives

UCF'73

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That might happen at my plant. We have 800 employees. I know at least a dozen of them first heard about Elio from my bringing up the subject. Almost all of them expressed interest in buying one when they heard the proposed specs.
I traveled the interstate between Frederick and Germantown every day for three years. Really could have used an Elio back then.

Charlie G

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It occurs to me that as a company selling an inexpensive commuter vehicle that plans to offer vehicle wraps as factory options, Elio would be uniquely poised to offer an additional vehicle discount option where, say, the vehicle is sold at (or below) cost but outfitted with an Elio advertisement for either a distance or period of time.

I currently commute about 450 miles per week up and down the highway directly between 2 projected Elio locations (Towson, MD and York, PA) during normal commute hours.

Outfitting the car as a rolling billboard in exchange for further reduced cost would be a pretty good deal for everyone.

Logistically, I imagine it would work like this:

A certain number of customers in appropriate markets would be given the option of enrolling in the "Elio Ambassador" program. Those enrolling in this program would use the same infrastructure as the "Credit Card Option" (where they give you the car for free, but you use an Elio credit card to pay for your gas, and the statements are double, thus rolling 'car payments' into your now-reduced fuel cost). The difference is that members of the Ambassador program would accept their car from the store with an Elio advertisment wrap installed on the vehicle.

The agreement would be something to the effect of "For the first 21k miles, you will keep this wrap on the vehicle". In exchange, the Ambassador gets 2 things: the first is free oil changes every 3k miles for the duration of the agreement to be serviced through Pep Boys (the approved service center). The second is that for every 3k miles, $300 gets knocked off your outstanding vehicle balance on the 'gas card'. By the 21k mile oil change, your outstanding balance has been reduced by a total of $2100 and the vinyl wrap is removed. If the wrap is removed early for any reason, Pep Boys will notice at the next oil change and the deductions and free changes stop (and possibly some additional fee to cover wrap cost is rolled into the initial agreement to prevent abuse).

I think this would be an AWESOME deal for the consumer, and I would sign up in a heartbeat. From the Elio company perspective, they would essentially be selling the car at cost minus about 1240 including the oil changes. If viewed as an advertising cost, however, they are essentially paying the customer $.06/mile ($3.06/hr @60mph) to drive a rolling billboard around the city. That doesn't seem like it would be a bad deal for them either.

Comments?

Edit:
Roll referral bonuses into the mix and you could have some solid guerilla marketing going on. (Meet referral goal and get free extras or even trade-up to the next model-year). They'd have people with branded cars headed to events on their own dime to promote the Elio in the hopes of rewards that cost the company very little in exchange for measurable gains.

Edit 2 (apparently I can't post in this thread anymore?):
All car companies advertise, this just seemed like very inexpensive, unobtrusive, and direct way to do it.
For less than the cost of 1 large billboard (in my area), you could have 12 people driving around the city in a rolling advertisement with additional incentive to get strangers excited about the car.

I'm not saying it's a deal for everyone, but I think it would be a smart thing to do with part of the advertising budget.

Last edited:

Kewaneh

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Russian motorcycle maker Ural (http://www.imz-ural.com/) has a similar Emissary program (http://www.imz-ural.com/emissary.html). Unsure about any reimbursements, lower purchase costs, or other kick-backs, but Ural is aware that word-of-mouth from end users is the best advertising they (or anyone) can have.

From Ural's Emissary page: "What does an Emissary do? - You ride your Ural as you always do, have fun and engage with people when their questions and curiosity come your way. We'll send you support materials like brochures, stickers, and business cards to give out to any like-minded people, simple as that."

trock59

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm not a great fan of advertising. Most of it is unecessary and doesn't really tell us anything we didn't know already. I believe that with over 28,000 reservations already the best advertising plan would be to build 30-40,000 Elios and get them out on the streets. By this time next year we should be seeing them driving around (and thousands more will have been reserved too!) $6800 is pretty cheap and then factor in the MPG and it sells itself.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It occurs to me that as a company selling an inexpensive commuter vehicle that plans to offer vehicle wraps as factory options, Elio would be uniquely poised to offer an additional vehicle discount option where, say, the vehicle is sold at (or below) cost but outfitted with an Elio advertisement for either a distance or period of time.

I currently commute about 450 miles per week up and down the highway directly between 2 projected Elio locations (Towson, MD and York, PA) during normal commute hours.

Outfitting the car as a rolling billboard in exchange for further reduced cost would be a pretty good deal for everyone.

Logistically, I imagine it would work like this:

A certain number of customers in appropriate markets would be given the option of enrolling in the "Elio Ambassador" program. Those enrolling in this program would use the same infrastructure as the "Credit Card Option" (where they give you the car for free, but you use an Elio credit card to pay for your gas, and the statements are double, thus rolling 'car payments' into your now-reduced fuel cost). The difference is that members of the Ambassador program would accept their car from the store with an Elio advertisment wrap installed on the vehicle.

The agreement would be something to the effect of "For the first 21k miles, you will keep this wrap on the vehicle". In exchange, the Ambassador gets 2 things: the first is free oil changes every 3k miles for the duration of the agreement to be serviced through Pep Boys (the approved service center). The second is that for every 3k miles, $300 gets knocked off your outstanding vehicle balance on the 'gas card'. By the 21k mile oil change, your outstanding balance has been reduced by a total of $2100 and the vinyl wrap is removed. If the wrap is removed early for any reason, Pep Boys will notice at the next oil change and the deductions and free changes stop (and possibly some additional fee to cover wrap cost is rolled into the initial agreement to prevent abuse).

I think this would be an AWESOME deal for the consumer, and I would sign up in a heartbeat. From the Elio company perspective, they would essentially be selling the car at cost minus about 1240 including the oil changes. If viewed as an advertising cost, however, they are essentially paying the customer $.06/mile ($3.06/hr @60mph) to drive a rolling billboard around the city. That doesn't seem like it would be a bad deal for them either.

Comments?

Edit: Roll referral bonuses into the mix and you could have some solid guerilla marketing going on. (Meet referral goal and get free extras or even trade-up to the next model-year). They'd have people with branded cars headed to events on their own dime to promote the Elio in the hopes of rewards that cost the company very little in exchange for measurable gains.
If I encourage someone to buy a car simply because I truly love it and you encourage someone to buy a car because of the financial awards you will receive. . . . Who will that person trust more? This was discussed in detail in a Monday Morning Memo from the Wizard of Ads on line.

I sincerely believe EM has cut their profit to a minimal amount and they need to make some money on these vehicles in order to stay in business. Personally, I will consider myself a rolling advertisement without the financial incentives. I love this vehicle and what it represents and I want others to enjoy the wonderful experience of owning an Elio. :-) Z

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Russian motorcycle maker Ural (http://www.imz-ural.com/) has a similar Emissary program (http://www.imz-ural.com/emissary.html). Unsure about any reimbursements, lower purchase costs, or other kick-backs, but Ural is aware that word-of-mouth from end users is the best advertising they (or anyone) can have.

From Ural's Emissary page: "What does an Emissary do? - You ride your Ural as you always do, have fun and engage with people when their questions and curiosity come your way. We'll send you support materials like brochures, stickers, and business cards to give out to any like-minded people, simple as that."
I do like the idea of being an Emissary (without financial reimbursements unless I am asked to participate in a specific event that I would not be able to attend otherwise) and getting the various support materials mentioned here. :-) Z

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I was a master weaver for the Longaberger basket co. for 18 years. It was a direct marketing company that sold hand woven hard wood baskets. A woman would buy a basket show her friends and they would go and buy a basket and show all their friends and so on. This mom and pop basket business hit a Billion Dollars in sales for the years 2000, 2001 each. Of course that was when everyone had more throw away money. In 2000 Longaberger had 1% of the basket market. It wasn’t that the other 99% did not like the product, it was that they had never seen the product.

I would like to drive around in my Elios and every where I stop, draw a crowd, hand out business cards and let them set inside and check it out. They would go home, take out my card, go to my web site provided to me free by the company and check out more information about the car. If they should buy the car, the money paid to a dealer would be paid to me, through direct deposit, and placed in my bank account. The car would be shipped to where ever it normally would for that location and picked up by the customer. Dealer get’s prep money and I get a commission. I figure with my military retirement plus 3 or 4 cars a month, me and the wife could spend our whole retirement on the road traveling.

If they gave the dealers in these 60 major markets exclusive rights to sales, I fear they will never do as well as they hope to. Direct marketing advertising is free and exponential. Every one thinks direct marketing is like a pyramid scheme. So, what is the problem with everyone in the world owning and selling Elios. Unlike baskets, it is a usable commodity and will need to be replaced.

Top Bottom