• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Announcements Post Suppliers Summit August 2015

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Back on topic for a moment (foolish of me, I know), despite EM's blog post today, I still don't quite see how they need 25 "or so" E-vehicles. I would love to see the diagram that explains how each E-car is going to be used. I bet it looks like a spider's web! I'm really curious as to where they're going to do all this testing. I'm pretty sure the crash-tests themselves are going to need third-party observation, if not actually doing the work by a third party; otherwise someone or other (and we can guess who) will accuse EM of cooking the safety books.

The other tests, safety-related or not, simply make very good sense to do, if you're at all conscientious. I find the idea of ergonomic testing as a safety-related issue very interesting -- and very appealing. Making sure the shift lever doesn't interfere with your coffee cup holder -- a critical issue (especially if you're Mr. Elio). That same sort of testing would be, for instance, where you might catch glare from the rear-view mirrors being popped back into the driver's eyes -- definitely a safety issue, very hard to catch unless you're testing for it. A car starts to pull up beside you, headlights on high, and --- ZAP! you get a sudden bright flash, distracting to say the least!

So, if they're going to multi-task the various chassis numbers (E3 or E8, for instance) in the tests they are used for, why do they need so many of them? Enquiring minds want to know -- but suspect about 5 of them will be rolling to the malls of America long before we drive our early production cars away from Shreveport.
The more Es the faster the testing process with so many varied tests mentioned. I suspect some tests will be repetitive and require some time to complete. Also, the 2 or 3 Es for ride & drive events and marketing are the Es I look forward to.

Norahsbed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Ahh I had 3 of those, but none of them got my pension or my SS benefits.
After #2 I was living like a monk for a few years but I made it through (thanks to #3) and when #3 was done with me, she wanted nothing and that's exactly what she got (she felt guilty since she's the one that messed it up and got caught). #4 is still here, 14 years now.
Still on #1! Of course it's only been 2 years of marriage but we've been living together more than 30 years.

Adamant

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Again, if the rear passenger can squirm out a regular size window, why not pull the recline lever on the front seat and push it forward? That's how I get out of the back of coupes...

It depends on a number of things, but say after a crash the car remains upright.... if the driver in unconscious, pushing them forward would be fairly difficult. Plus, there still wouldn't be much room to get out. You'd have to be a fairly small person.

Ian442

Elio Addict
Reaction score
They need 25 cause they are going to see if they can beat those old blooper crash reels with the ramp. :D

I was 6 foot 2 and 295 at the last time I shot through my moonroof because some idiots parked too close to my door.

My co workers were laughing so hard seeing me squirt out and jumping off the back of the car.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It depends on a number of things, but say after a crash the car remains upright.... if the driver in unconscious, pushing them forward would be fairly difficult. Plus, there still wouldn't be much room to get out. You'd have to be a fairly small person.
With the roll cage, that roof opening will also be quite narrow. Pushing the seatback forward a bit and sliding it won't be much of an issue. When my buddy would stop to let me out (back in my youth), sometimes I would push him against the steering wheel and squish him pretty good. He didn't have much defense and it just wasn't very hard. Now, getting out while he's fighting back was a little bit of a challenge but if he were incapacitated, I have no doubt I would have been able to get out easily.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
They need 25 cause they are going to see if they can beat those old blooper crash reels with the ramp. :D

I was 6 foot 2 and 295 at the last time I shot through my moonroof because some idiots parked too close to my door.

My co workers were laughing so hard seeing me squirt out and jumping off the back of the car.
Is that when they started calling you "Colgate"?

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm interested in the off-center head on and the T-bone tests; I think those two test will be the most important when it comes to the Elio.
They are able to do a frontal crush zone but they don't have enough side room for it.

And I truly hope they use different age group and disability when they do the ergo testing.
I know when I sat in the P4 getting in, and seating was no problem; but it can really use a grab handle at the top of the A-pillar or at least somewhere on the A-pillar for exiting the vehicle.
It was thinking about on the door at first, but all you would do is pull the door in on yourself.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm interested in the off-center head on and the T-bone tests; I think those two test will be the most important when it comes to the Elio.
They are able to do a frontal crush zone but they don't have enough side room for it.

And I truly hope they use different age group and disability when they do the ergo testing.
I know when I sat in the P4 getting in, and seating was no problem; but it can really use a grab handle at the top of the A-pillar or at least somewhere on the A-pillar for exiting the vehicle.
It was thinking about on the door at first, but all you would do is pull the door in on yourself.
Perhaps a collision avoidance system should be an Elio option.

Stephen Workman

Elio Addict
Reaction score

I agree. At my age, I prefer climbing 'up' into a vehicle, and 'down' to exit one - i.e. a pick up truck or a high SUV. I'd definitely need a grab handle on the pillar/roof line to exit my Elio with ease. Perhaps an aftermarket add-on or an accessory from the factory? I wouldn't ask others to pony up the $ for one of these if they wouldn't want/need one.

W. WIllie

Elio Addict
Reaction score
On TV they have been advertising an "assist" for old folks getting out of low vehicles. It is a grab stick that slips into the door latch bar.
Seems like a good solution.
I just "roll out" of my G1 Insight after opening the door.

Willie

Top Bottom