• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Borrow $240 Mil, Or Borrow Alot Less And Start Out Slow?

Folks

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Ahhh grasshopper... you forget the power of ancient Chinese potion!

starbucks-cup256.jpg
Forgive me, John, but that looks more like its from Columbia not China.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
IF,when,until Elio Motors can demonstrate that they can produce
a fully functional & safety tested pre-production model
(call it what you will) the ATVM will not happen. Hence the current
push to secure the needed funds to produce same..............

Why do you think Elio does not qualify?
Extract from [ http://energy.gov/lpo/services/atvm-loan-program ]

ATVM Eligibility
ATVM loans may be made to applicants who are technically and financially eligible in order to finance the cost of:
  1. reequipping, expanding or establishing manufacturing facilities in the United States to produce ATVs or qualifying components or
  2. engineering integration performed in the United States of ATVs or qualifying components.
In order to be technically eligible for an ATVM loan, an applicant must be either:
  1. an automotive manufacturer satisfying specified fuel economy requirements or
  2. a manufacturer of qualifying components.
In order to be financially eligible for an ATVM loan, an applicant must be financially viable without the receipt of additional federal funding for the proposed project.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I wish I hadn't seen the ATVM Eligibility requirements. I thought it was a go. Technically, it doesn't look like Elio qualifies: EM is not an automotive manufacturer nor a parts manufacturer, but rather a start up and may not be as financially viable as they were a year ago.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Why do you feel the need to stand up for him?
All of his petulant childish rantings were answered in Mr. Elio's presentations in Pennsylvania and NYIAS.
The reason for a new engine was clearly explained.
You can look it up. I've "quoted" it two or three times in this thread already.
(given link to the speech with clock marks)
This person whom you insist on defending suggested three engines that he/she thinks meet the requirements based on HP and torque. The problem is two of them have been discontinued and the third has been significantly modified.
How does he/she respond to any of the arguments? He/she doesn't care. He/she wants what he/she wants and he/she wants it now.
If he/she wants to be able to make irresponsible decisions about a car, let him/her start his/her own car company.

I go off on posters from time to time because I am reminded of the screaming brats that were inflicted on me when I was a stock clerk in a supermarket. (Grand Union) The mother would issue the usual "If you don't stop that I'm going to ............" to the point when many of us wanted to yell back "Either beat the little brat or shut up".
Eliothegreat strikes me as the end result of the type that should have been beaten as a child but wasn't.
I'm only standing up for the idea of members being considerate of all factual speculation and views of fellow members.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm only standing up for the idea of members being considerate of all factual speculation and views of fellow members.

I think factual speculation is a good thing. It keeps our minds active and limber, and makes us consider possible alternatives to the prevailing thoughts.
What I vehemently object to is those who keep yowling like spanked babys because they can't have their own way.
And sadly, that is the impression that I get from someone who insists that they want it so that's how it should be.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I wish I hadn't seen the ATVM Eligibility requirements. I thought it was a go. Technically, it doesn't look like Elio qualifies: EM is not an automotive manufacturer nor a parts manufacturer, but rather a start up and may not be as financially viable as they were a year ago.

That's a rather simplified version. After reading the detailed information I was actually encouraged.
Just on this part Elio is..............
  1. reequipping, expanding or establishing manufacturing facilities in the United States to produce ATVs or qualifying components
  2. doing engineering integration performed in the United States of ATVs
  3. automotive manufacturer satisfying specified fuel economy requirements
As I recall, the mileage requirement is 75 MPG and Elio is at 84 MPG.
They are reopening GM Shreveport.
They are integrating components from a lot of manufacturers.

Call me crazy, but I think this qualifies as well as creating 1500 local jobs.

eliothegreat

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Why do you feel the need to attack the person rather than debating or ignoring the point whether right or wrong? I agree with alot of what you say, not all, and don't attack you personally. I was compelled to reply only as a reminder that we should all be considerate and respectful of others views.

Thanks for trying. If the facts are on your side, argue the facts. If logic is on your side, argue logic. If both are against you, attack the messenger. It's an old story.

ozarkbugg

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Interesting discussion and replies. My thought on starting off smaller was to maybe assemble vehicles every other day. Then on alternating days, use the assembly line crew to line up all the parts for the next day. Now this thought is coming from a guy that has worked in the service world all my life, and never in a factory. Maybe this arrangement would not work? But they could at least get started, and get some cash flowing in, and get product out , and get this ball rolling. Starting out at a slower place just seems much safer , IMHO. Happy dat, y'all.

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Why do you think Elio does not qualify?
Extract from [ http://energy.gov/lpo/services/atvm-loan-program ]

ATVM Eligibility
ATVM loans may be made to applicants who are technically and financially eligible in order to finance the cost of:
  1. reequipping, expanding or establishing manufacturing facilities in the United States to produce ATVs or qualifying components or
  2. engineering integration performed in the United States of ATVs or qualifying components.
In order to be technically eligible for an ATVM loan, an applicant must be either:
  1. an automotive manufacturer satisfying specified fuel economy requirements or
  2. a manufacturer of qualifying components.
In order to be financially eligible for an ATVM loan, an applicant must be financially viable without the receipt of additional federal funding for the proposed project.

I didn't say they didn't qualify, per se. At this point EM hasn't mfg.
anything that can be sold to the
Public. Until they demonstrate
That ability the ATVM isn't a
Done deal.

Top Bottom