• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Dangers Ahead??

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You guys underestimate the media. How many "Deadly SUV" crashes have you heard about? Now how many "Deadly Smart Car" or "Deadly Prius" crashes?

I rest my case.

We have a 2000 Chevy Astro AWD van with 113K.
Close to the safest, if not the safest vehicle on the road.
I would pick a Kia Rio over a Chevy Blazer any day knowing what I know now.

Again, I say. It's not what you drive, it's how you drive. JMO

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
a lawyer can smell a bad design a mile away.............or further!
VW's own lawyers stopped the GX3 as it was about ready to move to production and become the first major car manufacturer to build a three wheel vehicle. I really liked this concept although not at all practical......just CanAm Spyder like fun.
image.jpg

ehwatt

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If they do achieve a 5-star crash rating, will you still feel the same way? The Elio is not a tank, that's for sure, but it IS being engineered with safety as a very high priority. Fatalities is the name of the game. If they can really keep fatalities as low or lower than comparable small cars (Miata, Fiat, Smart Car), they'll be able to withstand press criticism.

As for me, I've always preferred light, nimble cars I can drive out of trouble. One reason I'd like a bit more HP in the Elio.
You, Sir, have summed up my entire automotive life!

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
We have a 2000 Chevy Astro AWD van with 113K.
Close to the safest, if not the safest vehicle on the road.
I would pick a Kia Rio over a Chevy Blazer any day knowing what I know now.

Again, I say. It's not what you drive, it's how you drive. JMO

Astro Vans are safe except for the one I had a decade ago which burnt to a crisp on the side of I-85 in downtown Atlanta. :eek::(

But seriously as you said it's how you drive. The Astro did burn nicely however it was due to faulty tail light wiring which lead to a recall several months after I had that incident which was actually documented in the recall as the van had been to the dealer 2x in the previous two weeks as the tail lights kept burning out. By the way it was a company vehicle.

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Astro Vans are safe except for the one I had a decade ago which burnt to a crisp on the side of I-85 in downtown Atlanta. :eek::(

But seriously as you said it's how you drive. The Astro did burn nicely however it was due to faulty tail light wiring which lead to a recall several months after I had that incident which was actually documented in the recall as the van had been to the dealer 2x in the previous two weeks as the tail lights kept burning out. By the way it was a company vehicle.
http://www.statisticbrain.com/driver-fatality-stats-by-auto-make/:)

MASCMAN

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I personally don't care about any of the crash ratings for the Elio....the bags and cage will be some great protection!

I know for a fact it will be safer than my Harley...or ANY bike for that matter. I don't ride scared, but that doesn't mean I don't think about what could happen.

Anyway...Has anyone found out where the gas tank will be?

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

goldwing06

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I personally don't care about any of the crash ratings for the Elio....the bags and cage will be some great protection!

I know for a fact it will be safer than my Harley...or ANY bike for that matter. I don't ride scared, but that doesn't mean I don't think about what could happen.

Anyway...Has anyone found out where the gas tank will be?
looks like under the pax seat area, right in front of the swingarm cross member attach point. which makes me wonder about the routing of the exhaust pipe and muffler placement. might get a tad busy under that narrow floorboard.

Top Bottom