• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Doubts...to Buy Or Not To Buy...

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I meant that there is a difference between "engineered for" and "will receive" a 5 star crash test rating. People keep assuming that Paul has to crash a whole bunch of these to keep his word. All they say is that it will be engineered so that it COULD receive the rating if it were to be tested... that's all. People want to stretch out the production timeline for "6 months to a year" of testing when not only is that not necessary, it isn't probable either. Testing probably won't be done by a government agency. There aren't even standards for the autocycle or rather, motorcycle as the federal government has it classified.

This is how I believe the crash test rating will play out. Months or even years before the NHTSA gets around to crash testing vehicles the auto manufacturers themselves have their vehicles crash tested at government certified independent labs which conduct the crash testing to government standards. Manufacturers are then allowed to claim the results of these tests as if the NHTSA had done them. Knowing this what Elio Motors will do is to also have their vehicle tested in the same way at one of these government certified independent labs. They will then be able to prove that their vehicles meet or exceed the government 5-star safety rating. After this testing I expect the "Engineered for a 5-Star Crash Test Safety Rating" to change to something along the lines of "Meets Government 5-Star Crash Test Safety Standard".

LonePine

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Well said. Materials have a cost and if the Elio uses less material, it'll cost less material-wise... if it's easier to assemble, it'll use less wage-money... if it's dealer network is simplified (it will be), there will be less profit lost to dealers... There's something to be said for light, simple, easy...
Oh, Amen to that. Stick with KISS principle.

LonePine

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
EM has said several times they are within $300 of the $6800 so that makes it $7100 now, in the next 15 months do you folks think the price may go up a couple of hundrd bucks..plus a $750 destination charge and a small dealer prep charge..am I missing something here????? Jerome said to several of us in OKC..that the auto would be under $1000 dollars..i"m guessing $800 bucks...forget the $6800 figure, it is just a number now after almost 2 years of advertising..oh, wait, maybe if they take out the air conditioning! $8500-$9500 elios will be common!
For a basic production model Elio, I'll be happy to trade in my desire for a house, and just stick with my apartment. Life demands its compromises. (Smile, shrug).

karl

Elio Addict
Reaction score
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQCU6nTguVIAOVSJPkqQFMWMInW_G3x5HIrYGezObEHpdGkpH1P.jpg

I love my breakfast

Folks

Elio Addict
Reaction score
EliopinupX1.png
Just an Idea here but I would like to think there is a "sixth star" not being accounted for in the safety rating system. I remain convinced that those here now considering the purchase of an Elio are far far safer drivers than most on the streets today and that would be the sixth star if it could be validated with a motor vehicle record or something. I would hope that perhaps a club of accident free members could be started would be based on a provable driving record. Or at least a membership with the best accident rate of any other vehicle type in America. Sure a blowout or a bridge collapse or perhaps a 150 mile per hour drunk crossing the median would be unavoidable. That fact is what I'm contending that we Elio fans are a sixth star to any well made 3 wheeled vehicle. Maybe even a patch or decal for every accident free year on record. Am I dreamin or what?

Last edited:

Debbie Bruce

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Not just on their website, but on their trailer...

And my interpretation of this, which seems reasonable to me, is that if the government doesn't develop a 5-star plan for their vehicle, then they will apply all the same criteria required for 4-wheel cars to theirs and meet them on the honor system, since no one can really hold them to it.

How rigorous will they be? Who knows, but if Paul is the saint he is portrayed as, then I would assume they aren't going to cut corners ($).
Leave it be, Call it a mororcycle and move on.In every interview and media showing Paul Elio has called it a motorcycle.This is the only good thing I will say about him.

Devilstower

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Not sure you could really get a Versa out the door for 11K. Is this a fair comparison? Wouldn't they have to also add on the same extras/fees as you have quoted on the Elio??

There's an $810 delivery charge on the Versa, so the absolutely cheapest you can get out the door on a 2014 is $12,800. Add $1000 to that for the 2015 model. An automatic transmission on the Versa is $1500, so a base 2014 Versa with auto rolls out at $14.3k. Surprisingly, that's about as much as you CAN spend on a Versa. Other than things like nicer floor mats and other doo dads, there are essentially no options. Makes me wonder if cranking out just two models of the vehicle is part of how Nissan keeps the cost low.

KN16

Elio Addict
Reaction score
...snip...There is a narrow commuter EV called the Tango which is NASCAR 200 mph Crash Certified having 4 x the side impact protection of an SUV...........so it can be done.
View attachment 1139 View attachment 1140
Not sure where you got this info as while NASCAR has rules they don't certify anything, not even the cars that participate in their races. Despite the absurd price tag that comes with the Tango if you're in one and someone hits you at 200MPH it's going to be a closed casket funeral.

Top Bottom