• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Easy In/easy Out?

Terrence

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm a big guy too - 6'2" and still taller than I am around. When my doctor told me the other day I was built like a linebacker I almost gave her a hug.:rolleyes: I'd been following the Elio for quite some time, but was concerned I'd feel like a sardine in a can. I shouldn't have worried. Finally got the chance last month to sit in the Elio at the air show in Rome, Georgia. No issues getting in or or out. In fact, it was easier than my Accord. Once inside it felt great. When I got out I went straight over to the EM rep and give him a thousand dollars to get my spot in line.

Welcome OctoberGlory and congratulations for going all in! Your posting is a statement in itself about what had been posted on the Elio design being able to accommodate all people. As you statef. you had been doing the research on the Elio and once the shoe fit you dove in. How Cool that was :cool:
Terrence :)

LonePine

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I'm a big guy too - 6'2" and still taller than I am around. When my doctor told me the other day I was built like a linebacker I almost gave her a hug.:rolleyes: I'd been following the Elio for quite some time, but was concerned I'd feel like a sardine in a can. I shouldn't have worried. Finally got the chance last month to sit in the Elio at the air show in Rome, Georgia. No issues getting in or or out. In fact, it was easier than my Accord. Once inside it felt great. When I got out I went straight over to the EM rep and give him a thousand dollars to get my spot in line.
Excellent ! Thank you for the comment from a ... normal size guy.

BillJ

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
dead-horse.gif

Puna bob

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I was surprised that Elio Motors didn't put the door on the left side so in most US driving
you enter and exit from the curb side instead of walking around the vehicle to open your door into traffic.

It seems much safer but it would be a problem with the shifter which they are keeping as traditional as possible.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Getting in and out of the rear seat in the P4 is no mean feat. I propose that for future models, EM cut a rear door on the opposite side of the driver's door. With doors on opposite sides, you don't need a door post. One problem: The gas cap is in the way over on that side.

It would have to be a completely new chassis as there is no room for such a door in the current chassis. Behind where the main door would be on either side is a key chassis element which adds a lot of structural integrity to the entire chassis and even protects the fuel cell which is located in the base of this element under the passenger seat.
2-dsc07967.jpg

We have to treat this vehicle as we would any coupe in that climbing into the back seat does take a little bit more work. However, one thing that will happen is that the drivers seat belt will move to the non door side which will help a little bit as the passenger will not have to climb over and around the seatbelt as in the current prototypes.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I was surprised that Elio Motors didn't put the door on the left side so in most US driving
you enter and exit from the curb side instead of walking around the vehicle to open your door into traffic.

It seems much safer but it would be a problem with the shifter which they are keeping as traditional as possible.

This has actually been discussed a number of times and the general consensus is, just as you stated, that EM is trying to design this vehicle so it feels relatively natural for drivers behind the wheel and as this is being aimed at the USA first followed by Canada they are focused on what is comfortable to drivers in these markets.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
This has actually been discussed a number of times and the general consensus is, just as you stated, that EM is trying to design this vehicle so it feels relatively natural for drivers behind the wheel and as this is being aimed at the USA first followed by Canada they are focused on what is comfortable to drivers in these markets.

that is as it should be .... companies which don't design and build products to fit the wants/likes/needs of folks in the major market where it will compete

Jim

ehwatt

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It would have to be a completely new chassis as there is no room for such a door in the current chassis. Behind where the main door would be on either side is a key chassis element which adds a lot of structural integrity to the entire chassis and even protects the fuel cell which is located in the base of this element under the passenger seat.
2-dsc07967.jpg

We have to treat this vehicle as we would any coupe in that climbing into the back seat does take a little bit more work. However, one thing that will happen is that the drivers seat belt will move to the non door side which will help a little bit as the passenger will not have to climb over and around the seatbelt as in the current prototypes.
So G1, the front door can be either side, left or right hand drive?

Top Bottom