• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Electra Meccanica (three Wheel Electric) Email-11/2/15

mkiker2089

Elio Addict
Reaction score
There was a time when people thought that NiCads and NiMh needed to be treated with kid gloves for "memory effect" and "number of cycles." Many still think that but most research says that it isn't true. The chemicals will be harmed by heat but there is no memory effect and if heat is managed the number of cycles isn't important either.

Why do I bring this up, it also seems to be applying to LIon technology. Chargers are getting faster and faster and with few exceptions batteries aren't suffering too much. There's a Tesla that has been rapid charged for 400k miles. I think they said it's on the second battery pack but still 400,000 miles. Battery technology hit a stagnant point but once enough minds start pushing the envelope we are going to see some major changes.

The only thing I don't really understand is why DC fast charging is faster. The car converts the AC to DC anyway so why does it matter? The only thing I an think is that they are using poor or cheap converters in the car.

I personally still don't want one. Well secretly I crave a Volt and always have, but not really. I want my Elio.

edit-----
also note that the Tesla like many laptops and other largish form devices uses a standard LIon cell. It's the 18650 if I recall. Mass production and standardization always helps. Someone with the right equipment could build a Tesla battery pack in their garage. Improvements in the 18650 will directly improve electric cars. Buy a flashlight off Ebay with one in it to toy with.

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Battery technology hit a stagnant point but once enough minds start pushing the envelope we are going to see some major changes.
Look at it this way, when Elio went into business back in 2009, just think of what we had for electric cars at that time. Then look at what we got today. What's considered stagnant is like 3-4 years in this day of age With technology we hit plateaus and then it's at a slight upward upward incline where lots of other technology complements the core technology. Just look at cell phones, we are taking something that when Elio went into business and it has evolved into something that has really packed in way more technology and features but it seems like something like an iPhone 1 is not different than an X. Yet it is.

As for electric cars, I just wonder what is it going to be like 5 years from now. I know it's going to be different.

CrimsonEclipse

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It's not really stagnant. Capacity is actually growing but you have to put into perspective what else has been happening.

Production has been increasing at a break neck pace.

A battery must be safe, cheap, high capacity, easy to manufacture

As volume increases, resources must become a consideration. Lithium, although plentiful, must have processing and transportation facilities and additional infrastructure designed and brought online.

Tesla now produces OVER HALF of all LiIon batteries on the PLANET AAAAAND still needs to increase its production an additional 500-1000%.

So the lowly LiIon battery has most certainly NOT been stagnant.

It's just getting exciting.

Last edited:

wizard of ahs

Elio Addict
Reaction score
There was a time when people thought that NiCads and NiMh needed to be treated with kid gloves for "memory effect" and "number of cycles." Many still think that but most research says that it isn't true. The chemicals will be harmed by heat but there is no memory effect and if heat is managed the number of cycles isn't important either.

Why do I bring this up, it also seems to be applying to LIon technology. Chargers are getting faster and faster and with few exceptions batteries aren't suffering too much. There's a Tesla that has been rapid charged for 400k miles. I think they said it's on the second battery pack but still 400,000 miles. Battery technology hit a stagnant point but once enough minds start pushing the envelope we are going to see some major changes.

The only thing I don't really understand is why DC fast charging is faster. The car converts the AC to DC anyway so why does it matter? The only thing I an think is that they are using poor or cheap converters in the car.

I personally still don't want one. Well secretly I crave a Volt and always have, but not really. I want my Elio.

edit-----
also note that the Tesla like many laptops and other largish form devices uses a standard LIon cell. It's the 18650 if I recall. Mass production and standardization always helps. Someone with the right equipment could build a Tesla battery pack in their garage. Improvements in the 18650 will directly improve electric cars. Buy a flashlight off Ebay with one in it to toy with.

I bought a gently used Volt while I wait for my E.
Sure has made the wait easier...the more I drive the Volt, the more I love it! I haven't been to a gas station since 2/11/18 and still have 1/2 a tank:p
I love being retired :D

wizard of ahs

Elio Addict
Reaction score
^ burn out that gas soon. Modern gas splits into jelly and water at times.
The Volt takes care of that.....It's a pressurized stainless steel tank and if you haven't burned any gas in 42 days, it MAKES you burn some..........THEN..........if the gas in the tank is the same gas as 365 days ago, or the mixture is less than 50/50.........it makes you burn gas until you add enough fresh fuel to make the mixture at least 50/50 :p

CrimsonEclipse

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The Volt takes care of that.....It's a pressurized stainless steel tank and if you haven't burned any gas in 42 days, it MAKES you burn some..........THEN..........if the gas in the tank is the same gas as 365 days ago, or the mixture is less than 50/50.........it makes you burn gas until you add enough fresh fuel to make the mixture at least 50/50 :p

That's actually really impressive.

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
On my BMW, there's a software change that makes it pretty much like a European model. It allows you to change when the engine comes on. Instead of waiting until you are down to 10% battery, you can move it to 50% and I think lower. So, I set it low once every two months and purposelessly burn through 1.5 gallons of gas.

Top Bottom