• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Electra Meccanica (three Wheel Electric) Email-11/2/15

CrimsonEclipse

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Now we got problems.
It appears EMV has stolen EM Creamsickle.
PS... Trusting... Look what they put on the rear below the license plate!

41176078_1867562843338277_5060484438429794304_n.jpg

Um.. could you point out what we're looking for?

Asking for a friend... who is slow...

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I see that the Solo has full sized license plates on the front and back for Canada. Has Elio incorporated this for their cars? Then there are different plates and restrictions for all of the other countries that Elio will be sold in. It would be neat to see a China Spec Elio.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
View attachment 22797

I'd guess that any of these top manufacturers could produce a "&" with all the same specs for 8k (U.S, with of course the trade war issues resolved)
I'm sure to India has the talent to do a project such as this.
Well, Tata once hinted they would do a $7500 4 wheeler years ago, but quit the idea when import and logistics proved importing added at least another $4-6k to the final price. So could and would are very far apart due to fear of a second try by any importer interested vehicles under $10k retail.

Now on the other hand, a $15k '&' car is very attractive and they could probably do that, but should/would expect the growth path to be limited in similar fashion to the Smart. I would suggest there are many more low hanging fruits to aim at for Tata or other overseas producers with R&D money to burn.

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Under $15K '&' cars in the US and 2017 sales numbers

Nissan Versa - $12,110 (22K)
Mitsu Mirage - $13,395 (106K)
Kia Rio - $13,900 (16K)

As for Tata, that added price was because it was a 4 wheeler. it needs to meet emissions and safety standards in the US. If you go to India and drive a Tata, you can tell it was not built from the get go for US standards at all. As for the three mentioned above, they are built in north America and they already have a dealership/parts/warranty/marketing/R&D/testing facilities already in the US. So they have a much better advantage than someone like Tata that has to start from scratch in a new country. Thus, Tata has a massive up front cost. If Tata did a three wheeler and used the Elio plan (no dealers, no safety, no emissions and farming out the service/warranty), then they could be selling $5K vehicles in the US for the last 10 years.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Under $15K '&' cars in the US and 2017 sales numbers

Nissan Versa - $12,110 (22K)
Mitsu Mirage - $13,395 (106K)
Kia Rio - $13,900 (16K)

As for Tata, that added price was because it was a 4 wheeler. it needs to meet emissions and safety standards in the US. If you go to India and drive a Tata, you can tell it was not built from the get go for US standards at all. As for the three mentioned above, they are built in north America and they already have a dealership/parts/warranty/marketing/R&D/testing facilities already in the US. So they have a much better advantage than someone like Tata that has to start from scratch in a new country. Thus, Tata has a massive up front cost. If Tata did a three wheeler and used the Elio plan (no dealers, no safety, no emissions and farming out the service/warranty), then they could be selling $5K vehicles in the US for the last 10 years.
Yes, sounds interesting. This is one place I'm a doubter, about anyone except Elio ever trying an 'affordable autocycle commuter' as the first implementer. They all want a guarantee to risk the money on a one-track plan, and as a first try such history to prove it doesn't exist. By one track I mean it has to hit the volume required to justify the low price and guarantee a profit.

Most low cost sales in the US are augmentations to upscale models. That is, the low priced model brings people into a relationship to the brand and then they sell another model at a better margin. It's the only reason a low cost model exists for major manufacturers.

I would suggest Elio do that with a upscale electric version as their better model. My Atlantric maybe ???? :-)

How hard could it be to come up with an upscale Elioster EV?
EwoudLuppens2014.png

How about this marketing tickler; Buy an Elio now. Then later, when ever you like, trade it in at full original price (2 year limit) for a $45k Elioster Super-EV? The diamond lane will never be the same!

Last edited:

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Looks like somebody is in the prototyping and fund raising process to bring a more stylish/affordable/three wheeler/EV to market:

61C1376C-9118-4855-9564-381FD14B76F5.jpeg
0BE76E00-3BDB-4685-8426-FD106CC276FB.jpeg

Frim

Elio Addict
Reaction score
...........or given this is the EMV thread the not so affordable EM Tofino:

View attachment 22816 View attachment 22817

I drove a 2018 Nissan Leaf last evening. It was an incredibly smooth and silent ride. My wife thinks the Camry (2010, 94k) is dead because the alternater failed. So I decided to do some preliminary shopping. any ideas?

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I see that the Solo has full sized license plates on the front and back for Canada. Has Elio incorporated this for their cars? Then there are different plates and restrictions for all of the other countries that Elio will be sold in. It would be neat to see a China Spec Elio.
E registers s a MC in most states, the smaller rear plate will create the illusion of a larger vehicle :-)

Top Bottom