• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Electra Meccanica (three Wheel Electric) Email-11/2/15

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
China has a lot of laws promoting "new energy vehicles", which makes buying electric vehicles much cheaper than buying gas vehicles. But instead of a rebate on electric vehicles, they just tax the hell out of gas vehicles. Either way, it makes owning an electric vehicle much more attractive to the common man. Furthermore, they have laws that allow very small cars and trikes to be operated under different regulations than full size cars, with greatly reduced licensing requirements (in fact, I think they don't need a driver's license at all for certain vehicles).

The Solo is not only something that factories in China are fully capable of producing, but it is also an attractive design for their domestic market.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
China has a lot of laws promoting "new energy vehicles", which makes buying electric vehicles much cheaper than buying gas vehicles. But instead of a rebate on electric vehicles, they just tax the hell out of gas vehicles. Either way, it makes owning an electric vehicle much more attractive to the common man. Furthermore, they have laws that allow very small cars and trikes to be operated under different regulations than full size cars, with greatly reduced licensing requirements (in fact, I think they don't need a driver's license at all for certain vehicles).

The Solo is not only something that factories in China are fully capable of producing, but it is also an attractive design for their domestic market.
My understanding is that EMV's Asian manufacturing partner produces some 1,000,000 motorcycles yearly, is noted for their performance racing cycles, and high quality manufacturing standards.

Yes, the perfect EV for their domestic markets and likely our USA market as well with the wider acceptance of affordable, range worthy EVs.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Well, if they decide Elio Motors is no threat, I could see them leveraging the knowledge EM generated on the market, and produce an inexpensive clone of the Elio for the US.
But the question is would they? After all it's a competitive product with their own. Same issue stops Chev and Ford doing the same thing.

Just noting that.

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well, if they decide Elio Motors is no threat, I could see them leveraging the knowledge EM generated on the market, and produce an inexpensive clone of the Elio for the US.
But the question is would they? After all it's a competitive product with their own. Same issue stops Chev and Ford doing the same thing.

Just noting that.
Note that Asian business community have a different mindset. What others think (Chevy & Ford) as a "threat", they think of it as an "opportunity"! They will be more than happy to supply EMV with whatever they need and if need be, assemble the whole darn thing and make money. Besides, if they decide to make their own clone, who's to stop them anyway?? It'll be good overall to clean up theirs and our air a bit and that's a win-win in my book.;)

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Note that Asian business community have a different mindset. What others think (Chevy & Ford) as a "threat", they think of it as an "opportunity"! They will be more than happy to supply EMV with whatever they need and if need be, assemble the whole darn thing and make money. Besides, if they decide to make their own clone, who's to stop them anyway?? It'll be good overall to clean up theirs and our air a bit and that's a win-win in my book.;)
AriLea was speaking of the Elio, but yes, that is already the plan for the Solo.
The Chinese mega-mc-mfg. will be producing complete Solos ASAP.

In addition to actually making MCs for Harley, the Chinese have been making...
And importing clones almost identical to smaller popular Japanese bikes for quite a while.

Lifan Chinese 250cc cruiser...

lifan250cruiser.jpg

Last edited:

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Just noting that.
Ford, GM, or VW, do not want to be in the business of manufacturing motorcycles.

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
AriLea was speaking of the Elio, but yes, that is already the plan for the Solo.
The Chinese mega-mc-mfg. will be producing complete Solos ASAP.

In addition to actually making MCs for Harley, the Chinese have been making...
And importing clones almost identical to smaller popular Japanese bikes for quite a while.

Lifan Chinese 250cc cruiser...

View attachment 21454
My bad Arilea!

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
After the successful launch of the Solo, EMV's long range plan is the development of added Solo Models:

The Solo..10 pre-production Solo's/testing/validation, followed by the 1000 Signature Series roll out/delivery, followed by scaling production.
The Solor R (Racer).........currently under development and track testing

And on the drawing board:
The Solo Twinn (2 seater)
The Solo Cargo (Delivery)
The Super Solo (Supercar Performance)

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Another thing that could happen, the Meccanica USA version could trigger a react of both fear and opportunism (final proof of profitability) and Elio then enabled but in a more competitive environment than before.

In fact, at that point, a partnership with a big manufacture such as GM makes sense, even without carbon credits and high gas prices. Price to enter will be everything.

I think it isn't as felt as it will be, but the price for basic commuter transport is becoming more acute. With this kind of economic expansion (or contraction, either way), most average people are finding a lower standard of living, but a higher need for 'getting there'. The super-cool muscle car is becoming a fools promise.

An EV at current recharge and range will not make the cut. If we do get price-range-recharge improvements that are suggested, that could all change. It's still 5 years out or more.

FYI, the wide spread case of fast rate recharging at 6:30 PM will force changes to the power grid. There may be rules implemented that require slower rates, or scheduled times, at home. Wide spread charging at work also forces some infrastructure changes.

Top Bottom