• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio From Parts Already Available

EZ

Elio Addict
Reaction score
lemmings

we are all just lemmings !

in this crazy world we live in, crazy times, glomming onto a new distraction, why not ?

will it ever get built ?

is this nothing more than another PONZI Scam ??

are "they" counting up those deposits and when they feel the tide has turned, when the negative comments outweigh the positive enthusiasm, they will pull the cord and the Elio Mobile simply disappears ??

I still have three BEAUTIFUL CorbinMotors Sparrows, custom painted with custom leather interiors.

I sold off the batteries, dc motors, controllers, relays…

i managed to sell my 33,387 of stock that I paid $3.00 per share for $1.00 per share..

all in all, it was,

"OK"

sold the JZR

sold the TRIHAWK

sold the Litestar

still have that silly FREEWAY,

and of course the Scorpions !!

IF YOU KNEW THEN WHAT YOU KNOW NOW, WOULD YOU STILL PUSH IN THOSE COMPUTER KEYS AND TRANSFER YOPUR HARD-EARNED MONEY FROM YOUR BANK ACCOUNT INTO A WISHING WELL ??

even if the Elio DOES get manufactured, is spending $6800. (?) in order to save on gas mileage really a smart decision ??

if you keep your Elio for three years and sell it, is the money you lose in depreciation a smart financial decision ?

oh sure, how many people are going to say,

" I will NEVER sell my Elio, I will keep it forever, pass on to my Grandkids ….."

how many of us still have our first BSA or Triumph motorcycles ??

maybe a NORTON ??

StuartGrant

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Since this is what I do for a living I can say without a doubt that about 95% of a car by line item (Not MASS) is off the shelf, even at Chrysler where they like to reinvent the wheel for the hell of it.

In today's auto industry most of the car isn't even designed by the OEM. All the little features you love on new cars like voice control, heated memory seats, power steering, AC systems, door latches, radiator fans, steering columns and radios, those are all made by Tier 1 and 2 companies. In today's auto industry there are a few teams that actually design parts, Powertrain designs engines (sometimes), Body designs the actual body of the car. Chasis is where you start to get into the mix of off the shelf parts, they design some elements and spec others from suppliers catalogs of parts, working with the suppliers to modify existing parts to work with the geometries of the body where needed. After that it basically comes down to contenting teams, who add electronic control modules and accessories, then pass it along to packaging teams who figure out how to make the stuff actually work, these teams work closely with the people who sell the stuff and those who will make the interfaces and wiring harnesses to make sure that on the surface everything keeps a uniform look to it.

I never took Elio to mean that 90% of the vehicle will be bought at Autozone and slapped together. I assumed they meant that everything would be put together from their large supplier base's catalogs and integrated into the vehicle, just like every other OEM does.

MASCMAN

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Please dont tell the people who paid me to be a mechanic on million dollar fraccing equipment that I am mechanically ignorant.

Please dont tell my 100hp Harley engine that I built...or the one in my brother's bike either. They just run too good and I don't want them to find out I was too mechanically ignorant to have torn them down build them up.

Thanks Wayne! Oh, please don't tell my F150...the one I swapped engines in either, its running great.

ks6c

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I wonder what it's like to live in such a literal world.

In that context, to claim that by saying the Elio will be built with off the shelf parts must mean the parts already exist on shelves waiting for Paul to call so he can assemble them into a vehicle, would also have to mean they are already on the shelves because they are already being used in existing vehicles and that EM won't be building anything new. "Off the shelf" can't be true if EM isn't using existing body panels? What is EM building - GMs, Fords?

Jabberwocky, anyone?

wjdom

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I believe in facts. I'm wanting to know where the facts are. On any new product I like all the information I can get. If you want to believe in fiction that's OK but when someone says that most of the Elio will be built from parts off the shelves I would like to know where are the parts coming from. Can I believe this, will this assure the dependability of the Elio or when my Elio breaks will I be told the part is not available due to poor planning.
I may be thinking of another Elio for family and ALL the facts is best to be on the table before one gets to deep in the product.
I guess some would jump off the bridge if ONE PERSON said it was safe.
Wayne, if you feel that way maybe you should wait till there built... then buy one.

Truett Collins

Elio Addict
Reaction score
No, it seems you may be. READ the original post.
I asked for a list of items that Elio will use already being produced.
Seems NO ONE KNOWS but sure gets upset when you question a product that is being produced.
Springs, fuses, lights, nuts, bolts, screws, seals, bearings, latches, switches, break lines, cooling lines, wires, belts, padding, etc...etc....etc...

Top Bottom