• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Gauge Cluster - Lord Elgin? - Other Options?

Elgin Dash Yes or No?

• Total voters

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I think the one comment that I remember and that stuck out was something about him trying to relax after taking the abuse of people with repeat and hostile questions. (paraphrased) I bet that's a fairly thankless job. It's good to see him with an upbeat attitude, but then again, I guess that's what he gets paid for.
I'm looking forward to meeting him and the team next week in Richmond.

I have no doubt that you'll find him to be a very nice person .... please tell him Jim who he was very patient with when we spoke in Charlotte says hi ... :) ... while he is the #2 guy at EM, the decision to use the Elgin dash was made by the #1 guy .... as noted earlier, the bottom line is, if a person wants to buy an Elio, it will come with the Elgin dash .... period ... that may or may not be true in the future but that is the reality of today .... our plan is to buy an Elio and so long as it performs as advertised, we will keep it for many years .... consequently, we will order it equipped with that purpose in mind and we will make aftermarket mods as needed

Jim

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, I noticed you got your dander up a bit there! ;)
I generally could not care less what most others think of me or my opinions however I do not like causing others problems if I can avoid it. Of course in this case the reality is that it was going to happen anyway as someone else would have posted the photos however what happened really did catch me by surprise.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
the good news is for those who want the base model, an Elio will be available with a sticker price of under $7,000 .... the reality for us is the one we order will come at a higher cost .... I'm OK with that because we can add individual options that we want (don't have to deal with forced packages of options) .... without any listing of the cost of various options, we can't be sure but I suspect ours will fall in the just over/under $10,000 range .... I don't believe there is another vehicle available at that price that can deliver the same performance and option so all's good

Jim
I suspect your $10K bottom line is accurate -- especially if forced into an expensive cover-up for the hideous Elgin dash!

CompTrex

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I generally could not care less what most others think of me or my opinions however I do not like causing others problems if I can avoid it. Of course in this case the reality is that it was going to happen anyway as someone else would have posted the photos however what happened really did catch me by surprise.
Handled well.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I guess everybody's got an ego -- not excluding Paul Elio -- and the Elgin dash is an expression of his ego. Since it's his company, we're stuck with it. Bring on the Navdi (they are in talks with Elio, but I have no idea where that stands).

UCF'73

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Roger Eller from EMOA on Facebook was also able to see the dash this past weekend and he was actually able to shoot a short video of it in action. One thing to note is that the speedometer will actually likely move at the pace it is shown in most of this video, and likely even slower, as we have to keep in mind that the Elio accelerates from 0-60 in about 10 seconds which on this dash would be 0-100 as this is KPH.

This is what I was hopeing to share as the movement is quite smooth and when renumbered for MPH should be quite easy to read as the readout will not really move as quickly as I think some people believe it will.
It doesn't look very precise to me. The speed numbers are crammed together because the wheel is so small. There are no tick marks or hair lines to tell exactly what the speed is, only that vague pointer on top. I guess if you get a speeding ticket you can show the officer your speedometer and maybe he'll cut you a break.

Johnapool

Elio Addict
Reaction score
1545452l.jpg
1958 Studebaker speedo

Top Bottom