• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Lighting (head, Tail, Brake, Signal, Fog, Auxiliary, Blinking,etc...)

Would you choose optional lighting on your Elio? (choose all that apply)

• Yes, I want a "third" or higher brake light.

Votes: 17 39.5%
  • Yes, I want marker lights on the front wheels.

Votes: 32 74.4%
  • Yes, I want signal lights on the front wheels.

Votes: 27 62.8%
  • Yes, I want headlights, fog lights or similar on the front wheels.

Votes: 10 23.3%
  • No, I do not want any additional lighting.

Votes: 7 16.3%

• Total voters

Paladin4Elio

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not against a third light. I'm against you and a few others imposing, I mean forcing a tax, I mean a cost on others that don't want a third light or would rather put them on themselves.

This exact thing is 90% of what is wrong with the U.S. today. Imposerso_O

P.S. I see you come from the state of imposers.
How DARE the rest of you IMPOSE UPON ME heating and air conditioning!!! I have RIGHTS as an AMERICAN!!! You TOTALITARIAN STATISTS are trying to TAX me through the Elio just like you try to TAX everything & every way else!

MOLON LABE!!!!! Death to TYRANTS!!!!! STOP the NWO!!!!! :rolleyes:

"Sancho! My armor and my sword!" :confused:

/sarcasm off

Obvious troll is obvious....

Paladin4Elio

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
As far as I know, and I read almost everything posted, this question has not been asked or answered and no we don't know. I highly recommend you contact Elio Motors and ask the question. There is a contact form on the last page of their web site. If you are on Facebook, I understand questions asked there get a faster response. I can't verify that because I am not on Facebook. I do know EM is trying very hard to answer questions now. My guess is they have increased their staff numbers to handle them. Just as a guess I suggest you ask only one question or at least related multiple questions. I suspect when people send multiple questions on a variety of subjects at one time they get lost in the shuffle. I look forward to reading the response you get. :) Z

Thank you to all the forum members who made constructive comments/suggestions! :)

I asked EM on FB and this was their response:
we will not have LEDs primarily because of costs. We might have a third brake light, but if we don't you can always add it on later!

Frankly, I'm surprised that they won't have LED brake lights: pretty much ALL new cars and many new motorcycles have them.

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Thank you to all the forum members who made constructive comments/suggestions! :)

I asked EM on FB and this was their response:
we will not have LEDs primarily because of costs. We might have a third brake light, but if we don't you can always add it on later!

Frankly, I'm surprised that they won't have LED brake lights: pretty much ALL new cars and many new motorcycles have them.
$6,800!!!!!!!!!!

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
How DARE the rest of you IMPOSE UPON ME heating and air conditioning!!! I have RIGHTS as an AMERICAN!!! You TOTALITARIAN STATISTS are trying to TAX me through the Elio just like you try to TAX everything & every way else!

/sarcasm off

Glad you agree. I think AC should be an option all so.:)

carzes

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Thx for the replies, guys (and gals?).

For those against a high mounted 3rd brake light, please explain your objection.

IMO, it would be a minor cost (if designed in), but could improve safety. (I assume so, but that's just an assumption on why Congress passed and Pres. signed law requiring them on autos.)
It would get in the way of all the cool custom mods I had in mind for that space.

/sarcasm off

I don't think I've heard anyone objecting to having the vehicle outfitted the way it was originally spec'd out. It's the constant call for changes that some of us object to, (some more stridently than others). I personally wouldn't mind if I could opt out of a/c, and power windows, but that's how it was spec'd so fine and dandy. But I don't want a third brake light, and I'd rather not be stuck with one because you do. You can feel free to put on a third, fourth, or fourteenth brake light on your car, I don't object. If Elio makes a buisness decision to add it, then I'll live with it, but just because someone decides something is for safety doesn't mean it should get shoved down everyone's throat. That's the kind of thinking that made the cheapest cars cost $20,000. Not everyone thinks that's the way Elio should go.

2.ooohhh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
For those against a high mounted 3rd brake light, please explain your objection.

I don't need it nor want it, the same with most other imposed regulation. I actually recently had a friend demand that a dealer replace the entire front bumper on a car before they shipped it b/c they had incorrectly assumed that they would be selling the car in CA and therefore needed to drill some "extra holes" in the front bumper to mount a "required" front license plate. Needless to say the dealer learned an expensive lesson in making irreversible modifications to cars before they are actually sold.

Blueskybob

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Greetings All,

Signed up a while ago, but time constraints have kept me mainly on the Elio Motors Owners Association page on facebook. Came back to review the NJ section and did a glance through. Folks here are having some interesting discussions!

Overall I think the more attention to can you can grab to show you are stopping or slowing down the better!
That said I feel Elio had a huge task ahead to keep to the $6,800 price as is. Any "small" additions will not be small in engineering, parts procuring, stocking, etc. So anything we feel we need, like, or want should be considered an aftermarket (third party) item and I am sure there are plenty of those mfg. knocking on Elios door already

I agree that LEDs are the way to go for stop and turn signals. Brighter, snappier dwell on and off time and better reliability versus incandescent. I think some aftermarket mfg will eventually have a replacement module but in the meantime we can DIY for little cost and time.

1. Kudos to Dustoff for the direct replacement bulbs. I intend too do this day one.
2. Kudos too to Li4x and Ajsiele for their ideas on a higher mounted center light.
3. I intend to mount some LEDs (either strips or the already available License Plate LED Frame in the center section. That area Is big enough to hold many options. Sources and technology will probably change a lot in the next year, but my current front runner is Custom Dynamics. Elio is already considering them and their Can Am Section has a bunch of lights that lend themselves to be used on an Elio.

http://www.customdynamics.com/can_am_spyder_accessories.htm

On an off topic I like the controllers you can get for these lights that rapidly flash the lights for a period of time and then go steady to add in attention getting. This in not legal in all states so you should consider the ramifications of installing it. I will probably add an on/off switch for this option.

http://www.customdynamics.com/motorcycle_brake_light_flasher.htm

Ok back to lurking............... 3-|

BeerBrewer

Elio Fan
Reaction score
I was thinking about Elio's headlights this morning, and had an idea. Is this workable?

My thought is to design headlights aerodynamically into the top of outboard wheel fenders. That would space them to fairly average width, giving perspective to oncoming traffic at night, and would also help avoid opposite traffic from accidentally clipping an Elio wheel since it's so far outward from the current headlight placement. Plus, if the headlights were incorporated into the tops of fenders, an LED could be housed in the back of the light, to give the Elio driver an indication of position to aid in parking, to help avoid scuffing wheels or fenders.

Good idea, or bad?

Top Bottom