• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Lighting (head, Tail, Brake, Signal, Fog, Auxiliary, Blinking,etc...)

Would you choose optional lighting on your Elio? (choose all that apply)

• Yes, I want a "third" or higher brake light.

Votes: 17 39.5%
  • Yes, I want marker lights on the front wheels.

Votes: 32 74.4%
  • Yes, I want signal lights on the front wheels.

Votes: 27 62.8%
  • Yes, I want headlights, fog lights or similar on the front wheels.

Votes: 10 23.3%
  • No, I do not want any additional lighting.

Votes: 7 16.3%

• Total voters

Alfred

Elio Fan
Reaction score
I was thinking about Elio's headlights this morning, and had an idea. Is this workable?

My thought is to design headlights aerodynamically into the top of outboard wheel fenders. That would space them to fairly average width, giving perspective to oncoming traffic at night, and would also help avoid opposite traffic from accidentally clipping an Elio wheel since it's so far outward from the current headlight placement. Plus, if the headlights were incorporated into the tops of fenders, an LED could be housed in the back of the light, to give the Elio driver an indication of position to aid in parking, to help avoid scuffing wheels or fenders.

Good idea, or bad?
Excellent idea, my friend, although not new at all. My very first car had the headlights sitting on the fenders. This was it: http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiat_1100#mediaviewer/File:Fiat_1100-BL.JPG.

Folks

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The finder bender hinderer idea is very much and after market fix too. any attractively designed reflective frontward and rearward panel would serve well requiring no wiring. An extra large round pair of reflectors on the outboard fenders would make us appear as a much larger and imposing vehicle at night too. Scuffing a finder is not really an issue because, If you've managed a driving and compensating your right fender with the steering wheel well to the left all these years, compensating for the center steering should be a piece of cake. I might add that the motorcycle single headlight has always contributed mistaken speed and distances of car's perception of motorcycles and is dangerous too.

Folks

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It would add a lot of unsprung weight (bad) and the headlight beams would shake every time you hit a bump.
which idea? The headlight yes, but the reflectors would send an even more menacing light reflected back to apposing traffic. Ever been charged by a bull elephant with his ears extended all the way out. I'm sure you've seen other examples in nature. Such as an attacking cobra. or :

a zoo 3.jpg

PS I'm still contending that the single light and even the 3 in a row light on Motorcycles is the biggest bane at night in that other traffic poorly judge both speed and distance resulting in so many autos and other vehicles pulling out in or turning in front of motorcycles. It's also why so many cyclist drive in a bad mood sometimes. I know it would sure piss me off.

Last edited:
Top Bottom