• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Lighting (head, Tail, Brake, Signal, Fog, Auxiliary, Blinking,etc...)

Would you choose optional lighting on your Elio? (choose all that apply)

• Yes, I want a "third" or higher brake light.

Votes: 17 39.5%
  • Yes, I want marker lights on the front wheels.

Votes: 32 74.4%
  • Yes, I want signal lights on the front wheels.

Votes: 27 62.8%
  • Yes, I want headlights, fog lights or similar on the front wheels.

Votes: 10 23.3%
  • No, I do not want any additional lighting.

Votes: 7 16.3%

• Total voters

wheaters

Elio Addict
Reaction score
In what sort of application would you find something like that? I've never heard of anything like it and I can't find anything that sounds like it. I'm up for learnin' something new every day, but I can't find that one. Certainly not in any modern automotive context. Pount me a direction and maybe I can hunt up a schematic or two.

British motorcycle manufacturers used this type of setup in the 1960s. My first bike, a 1964 BSA C15 Star, had one. If I recall correctly, earlier bikes had them, too.

goldwing06

Elio Addict
Reaction score
British motorcycle manufacturers used this type of setup in the 1960s. My first bike, a 1964 BSA C15 Star, had one. If I recall correctly, earlier bikes had them, too.
yeah, the british bikes had the zener mounted under the headlight so it would get plenty of cooling. had a tr6 and a bonneville with this setup.

Last edited:

carzes

Elio Addict
Reaction score
honda has used the shunt controlled charging system since the goldwing came out in '75. the purpose for that configuration was to eliminate the rotational feed back of the load changing on the alternator and that off and on loading being felt in the directional stability of the machine. this would be very irritating after several hours of trying to keep the machine from twiching back and forth as u motor down the road. kinda like someone running along side the machine and lightly nudging u sideways as u motor along. a transverse mounted engine doesn't suffer the effect. the circuitry is simple too. the 3phase output is run through a 3phase rectifier and then to a badass ziener diode. the the rectifier supplies any power needed to run the machine and any excess is shunted through the ziener to grd. this system is also used on industrial engines too. generators, welders, pumps and anyother engine drives with a charging system. the only failure normally encountered with this set up is burning out the windings or wiring. if left to sit long enough the magnets might start to lose some of their strength and reduce the output some what. hope this helps!
Now I think I get what youre talking about. Simple zener diode voltage regulation. maximum circuit current is configured through a dropping resistor/zener diode series configuration and the zener diode provides stable voltage to the load circuit up to the max current allowed by the dropping resistor. Any current not utilized by the load circuit is wasted through the zener diode. I always thought it an inefficient and inelegant form of voltage regulation, but I guess it has it's place, especially if you plan on running close to max load current most of the time, that would negate much ofthe inefficiency. Fortunately there are so many MUCH better options available these days.

wheaters

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think the reason this system was used was because the simple rotor (bolted on the end of the crankshaft) could reliably withstand the engine vibration. The later stator coils were encapsulated in epoxy resin to improve their reliability also.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
On the prototype there are no turn lights or running lights on the fenders. This addition would help define the width of our Eloi vehicle. Hate to mention it but the CanAm spyder has them and at night this is a benefit to oncoming drivers.
Reflectors would be a simple inexpensive solution.......and wireless.

Folks

Elio Addict
Reaction score
On the prototype there are no turn lights or running lights on the fenders. This addition would help define the width of our Eloi vehicle. Hate to mention it but the CanAm spyder has them and at night this is a benefit to oncoming drivers.
In that LED lighting is not affected by jolts or vibrations as conventional lighting seems some of that LED stuff on the outboard finders should be a no brainer.

Did fail to mention less power consumption too?

Last edited:

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
image.jpg

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Russell, welcome to the forum where you can find the answers to most of your questions by using the Search Function. This topic has been discussed in great detail. I'd recommend you scroll through the forum threads and find those that appeal to you first. There are tons of information about the development of this unique vehicle and many ideas for modifying it to each of our own tastes. We try to keep the forum informative and friendly and look forward to your questions, comments, and opinions. Enjoy the experience and the knowledge the members share.

Top Bottom