• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Motors Shreveport Operations (extended Cut)

Bamdalam

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Something I caught during the long version of that video; Metal Body.
I thought they said they were going to evaluate the possibility of using a metal body vs. the composite panels.
It appears to be a done deal if the video holds true.
I caught that too, but if you watch it again, the body panels go on a couple assembly lines after that. Maybe he meant the chassis/frame, which we all know will be metal? One thing I liked is that he kept repeating "ergonomic for the worker". Glad they thought about that. Someone doing a comfortable task will most likely be more detailed oriented if not in a physical bind while doing it. I do have one question. At this point, who is financially responsible for building maintenance? That place is HUGE! Even the simple things like light bulbs (did you notice the massive amount of lighting in that factory?) would be an expense I couldn't afford. Then, throw in things like plumbing, roof leaks, electrcal problems and the like. Who's paying for that right now?

Grumpy Cat

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I caught that too, but if you watch it again, the body panels go on a couple assembly lines after that. Maybe he meant the chassis/frame, which we all know will be metal? One thing I liked is that he kept repeating "ergonomic for the worker". Glad they thought about that. Someone doing a comfortable task will most likely be more detailed oriented if not in a physical bind while doing it. I do have one question. At this point, who is financially responsible for building maintenance? That place is HUGE! Even the simple things like light bulbs (did you notice the massive amount of lighting in that factory?) would be an expense I couldn't afford. Then, throw in things like plumbing, roof leaks, electrcal problems and the like, who's paying for that right now?

Ergonomics is big for manufacturing because you want your workers working, not on disability.

As for the lighting, they should go with LEDs (if they haven't already). CFL isn't nearly as efficient (and has greater power fluctuations, ie, dirty power), than LED.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Ergonomics is big for manufacturing because you want your workers working, not on disability.
I was watching a show on building Audi's in Germany; they mentioned on the assembly the range or positions the workstations were at to be "age designed". There they don't fire the old guys, they let them work as long as they want; they want the experience they bring with them. I wish that more companies here did that rather than firing the "old guys"; they haven't learned to appreciate the talent and experience the older people bring with them, to even teach the younger workers. <sign> And it's in almost every industry here; but there is hope; the newest hiring swing is to "find the people that know how to do this and hire them, the new people can't do the work".

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I replaced the fluorescent tubes in my shop with LEDs and the difference was amazing, plus I don't have to replace them every few years. They aint cheap, like $30.00 a pair at Costco.
I imagine they have some swinging deals if you want to buy 5,000 of them in one order. :becky:

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Something I caught during the long version of that video; Metal Body.
I thought they said they were going to evaluate the possibility of using a metal body vs. the composite panels.
It appears to be a done deal if the video holds true.

The body in the video looks like it might be a "narrowed" S-10 cab. Definitely doesn't resemble The Elio. Just something to simulate an RT.

Top Bottom