• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Racing

wheaters

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Some years ago we took part in a 6 hour endurance event for home built cars. It took place on a race track but technically it wasn't a race. Twenty six teams entered, with two cars to a team. Only one car of the team was allowed out at a time, but the team had to carry out a certain number of laps in the six hours. This equated to an average speed of 54 mph. That doesn't sound fast but the issue was complicated by the fact that there were two drivers per car, in the car at all times and that every driver in the team had to do at least five laps per hour. This meant many pit stops. What happens is that a driver does about ten laps, then returns to the pits. The second car takes over to do the same number of laps. Meanwhile the two occupants of the first car change seats and get ready to go out again. It's effectively a six hour relay. Because it takes time to come into the pits, with a queue to get out again, and traffic lights an marshals controlling the exit lane, the required average speed is very difficult to achieve and you drive flat out all the time. This is very hard on the cars! My son was my co driver, he broke my gearbox near the end of the event but we still came fifth overall, beating a lot of much bigger and more powerful cars. It was great fun, especially in an open top car in torrential rain.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
how about on a track where you run for a given amount of time and the one who travels the farthest wins

Jim
That reminds me of a point to make, the Elio is not a optimal racing platform, it's purpose is optimal commuting. This is why I would prefer to focus on Elio exclusive racing. Or at least racing where the Elio has an advantage.

I had this thought, the first car to make the longest distance on one gallon of fuel. Some maximum time allowed would be applied. Measurements would be with-in quarter mile increments. This would force very careful balancing of driving tactics. I say a gallon because an 84 mile race is already plenty long. Hopefully there is fuel metering hardware that is low cost and has an automatic shutoff feature.

Another race type, parking lot slaloms. The one I raced in, if you spent energy burning your tires, your time was very poor. Those who could keep their cool were the usual winners. Mid engine cars tend to be better. The Elio might compare well against other vehicles in that setting.

Dusty921

Elio Addict
Reaction score
"ALL IN" for either TSD or Autocross. :D

For me, two problems though.:confused:
1. What reason can I come up with for taking the Elio out for a whole day, by myself.
2. How do I explain the excessive tire wear.
It's Linda's Elio, I promised, besides she won't let me race "our" 440cc golf cart so Elio's out of the question......maybe.;)

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
"ALL IN" for either TSD or Autocross. :D

For me, two problems though.:confused:
1. What reason can I come up with for taking the Elio out for a whole day, by myself.
2. How do I explain the excessive tire wear.
It's Linda's Elio, I promised, besides she won't let me race "our" 440cc golf cart so Elio's out of the question......maybe.;)
By yourself? You need a navigator for some of these. Can you imagine how nice you can make the Navpit, since she's gonna be the diver and all o_O.

Top Bottom