• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Survey - Tranmissions

Marshall

Elio Addict
Reaction score
New wrinkle: I think the survey was to determine how many could be sold at a given price. That said, the price that people say they are willing to pay($1000) just might determine which AT they decide to provide. I don't think that the kind of AT is firmed up yet.
The problem with cutting too much information out of the question is a willingness to pay for a true automatic transmission, even with it's higher price, than the lower price for an AMT. It assumes transmissions are fungible rather than individually unique.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Got the same, 1200, 1500, 1000. Make the real money in volume. A manual transmission, better be a 5 or 6 speed.
In the Configurator it shows a 5 speed

I noticed today, they have added a lot of information, descriptions and pictures for a number of items in the configurator; to see it, click on the little I in the circle behind the word of the item; here's an example of the I in a circle, and what pops up when you lick on it:

Config.gif

MajorXx

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Just got the survey from Elio about the cost of transmissions. Basically they want to know if we will pony up $1,200 for an automatic. I don't know what you guy think but I'm beginning to feel that buying an Elio isn't going to be the good deal I had hoped for. :(
I would gladly pay $1,500 for a dual clutch 6 speed AMT, but since other manufacturers using the Aisin single clutch 5 speed are charging $800 a much lower price should be in order.

floydv

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I would gladly pay $1,500 for a dual clutch 6 speed AMT, but since other manufacturers using the Aisin single clutch 5 speed are charging $800 a much lower price should be in order.
For perspective, the option for the 3rd-gen Smart Fortwo's dual clutch twinamic (automated manual transmission) when it was introduced in late 2015 was reported to be $930-$1215, depending on the trim model it was being ordered with (Smart Fortwo gets Twinamic dual-clutch transmission). More recently, digitalautotrends reported the DCT option was priced uniformly across all trims at $990 (No longer a laughstock, the 2016 Smart Fortwo still comes with compromise).

stu ostler

Elio Fan
Reaction score
It sounds like there may have been variety of survey sent... I got "would you pay $1500. for and automatic..." , I said yes, at 67 I'm ready for some automation.
I remember hearing Paul say (as and aside in and interview) that the automatic would get better mileage than the manual because the computer works more efficiently than we can - also I've heard the auto will be a DCT which is a more expensive system and robust enough for highspeed racing.
IAV makes DCT's Dual-Clutch Transmissions – IAV Automotive Engineering.

Palliden7

Elio Fan
Reaction score
1. Here goes Elio changing options. When the Elio demostrator was in Flagstaff Arizona over a year ago. I spoke to one of the reps and he stated the optional trans would be a solenoid operated clutch transmission. What happened?
2. Second question; I only put a deposit of a 100 dollars on the vehicle because I could trust that the vehicle would ever be produced.
So, since I live in Sedona Azizona could I make arrangements when the vehicle become avaiailable, to have a turbo charger installed by a service center selected by Elio down in Phoenix, Az.?
3. Then, can I finalize financing and paperwork through the Phoenix Arizona office.

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
1. Here goes Elio changing options. When the Elio demostrator was in Flagstaff Arizona over a year ago. I spoke to one of the reps and he stated the optional trans would be a solenoid operated clutch transmission. What happened?
2. Second question; I only put a deposit of a 100 dollars on the vehicle because I could trust that the vehicle would ever be produced.
So, since I live in Sedona Azizona could I make arrangements when the vehicle become avaiailable, to have a turbo charger installed by a service center selected by Elio down in Phoenix, Az.?
3. Then, can I finalize financing and paperwork through the Phoenix Arizona office.
I don't think anyone (including EM) will be able to answer any of the three questions you've asked.
We recently had an Arizona member say that the Phoenix office is nothing but a P.O. drop box.
I think all of those issues, including the final production tranny, are still TBD.

Hell of a reservation # you've got there.
I'm sure making that many is a wet dream for Paul. :D

CrimsonEclipse

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I probably missed something along the way.

Is all of this in reference to a true automatic with hydraulic fluid and torque converter or an automated manual?

If it's MT -vs- AMT I can see the anger and foaming at the mouth at the $1500
If it's MT -vs- AT it's actually not that unreasonable.

I can see Elio making a true automatic an option. It would make sense for the typical driver.

The AMT is just a awkward piece of equipment for the non-techie driver.

Top Bottom