• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Fire Side Chat With Paul - 9 Sept

Reaction score
You know I saw Paul Elio in person at St. Francis University in Loretto, PA in March. Then he and the team went to that big show in NY. In PA he was bright eyed, bushy tailed, strong, in charge and sure of himself. In NY he was not so much. These last two interviews with that start engine guy not at all. Is like the ice salesman is so overwhelming it intimidates Paul. OK, they need a big busted woman to sit between them. A normal guy, lol. Yea, I said that.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My understanding of the two step valve timing is this and someone correct me if I am wrong. Years ago, people would install high performance cams in their engine to increase power. The cam would cause the intake valve to open sooner and wider. The cam opening sooner would cause the intake and exhaust valves to both be open a small amount at the same time. This occurred because the intake valve started opening before the exhaust was completely closed. The intake valve also opened wider. The result was the engine had more power, but idled very roughly, was harder to start, and used a lot of gas. Under heavy load and high rpm, it would run smoothly though with much power. When there is no valve overlap, the engine has less power, but idles very smoothly, is easy to start, and uses less gas. The valve opening a smaller amount also reduces power.

My understanding is that the two step cam changes to the high performance profile when power is needed such as passing or flooring the accelerator. It switches to the cam lobe that makes it behave like the old fashioned high performance cam. The intake valve opens sooner, and overlaps the exhaust valve producing more power. But this only happens when peak power is needed.

All the rest of the time the lower profile cam is used where there is no valve overlap and the cam opens only a small amount. An advantage of the valve opening a small amount is that the air flowing through has to move through at a higher speed (because the opening is smaller). This high speed air causes the fuel and air to mix more thoroughly and combustion is cleaner producing less pollutants.

It actually is very simple. All it does is momentarily create the old fashioned high performance cam or years ago. This reminds me of the old saying: “The more things change, the more they stay the same.”
Is the cam actually stepped, or ramped, allowing variable opening depending on load?

Rob Croson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Is OCTQX going to be Elio's stock exchange name? (About 42;49 on the interview film).
OCTQX is the name of the market company through which they hope to trade their stock. (Like NASDQ or NYSE, but for smaller/less established companies. Also, less scrutiny by the SEC, less oversight by the company, no mandatory public reporting, and not required to file with the SEC.) It is a "Over the Counter" or "off exchange" company. They have as yet not revealed a stock symbol under which EM will trade.

Info on OTC stocks: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Over-the-counter_(finance)

OCTQX is one of the three trading boards operated by the OTC Market Group: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OTC_Markets_Group

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Is the cam actually stepped, or ramped, allowing variable opening depending on load?
My understanding is that since there are two cams per intake valve, there is only two types of distinct operation. Hence the term "two step cam". It is not variable, but rather, is only one mode of operation or the other.

There are other variable valve "contraptions" that actually are variable. There can have any amount of opening and timing. These are truly "variable". (They are also more expensive hence the reason EM uses this instead of the variable system.) That is why this is not called a "variable " system. IAV does not call this a "variable" system. They call it a "two step" system. You will hear many people call it a "variable" system but that name is technically incorrect. This is understandable because most non-fixed valve systems are variable.

There may also be a noticeable abrupt change in power when it kicks in and out, thus power would not be seamless.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My understanding is that since there are two cams per intake valve, there is only two types of distinct operation. Hence the term "two step cam". It is not variable, but rather, is only one mode of operation or the other.

There may also be a noticeable abrupt change in power when it kicks in and out, thus power would not be seamless.
Sounds like that could be fun! Couple with a turbo, and, yeehaaawwww!

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
OCTQX is the name of the market company through which they hope to trade their stock. (Like NASDQ or NYSE, but for smaller/less established companies. Also, less scrutiny by the SEC, less oversight by the company, no mandatory public reporting, and not required to file with the SEC.) It is a "Over the Counter" or "off exchange" company. They have as yet not revealed a stock symbol under which EM will trade.

Info on OTC stocks: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Over-the-counter_(finance)

OCTQX is one of the three trading boards operated by the OTC Market Group: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OTC_Markets_Group
If four letters, how about ELIO. If 5 letters, PELIO or ELIOM

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
that's the way I understand it .... there was considerable discussion with conflicting reports as to if the first prototype engine had that feature or not

The cam doesn't move. It's a function of the lifter. One way the outer section is activated and the other way it's not activated. that's what controls the lift and duration cause each cam lobe is a triple cut. two identical outer and one inner. It was explained in an illustration way back. Unfortunately, I can't remember when. Seems like March time frame.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
The cam doesn't move. It's a function of the lifter. One way the outer section is activated and the other way it's not activated. that's what controls the lift and duration cause each cam lobe is a triple cut. two identical outer and one inner. It was explained in an illustration way back. Unfortunately, I can't remember when. Seems like March time frame.

I remember those releases .... what I don't remember is if the IAV engine they showed running had that feature or not

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score

I remember those releases .... what I don't remember is if the IAV engine they showed running had that feature or not

The information is in the next two referenced.
I can't remember either.

The Elio will be using a dual lift or shifting hydraulic bucket on the intake. This allows for high and low lift based on engine RPM and load demands. There are three lobes per intake. Effectively the same system as Porsche uses as it's Variocam Plus System. As pointed out earlier in this post the bucket tappets are hydraulic. The integral cam cover with integral cam bores, would require a lot of tooling to allow the use of a shim style mechanical adjustment.
View attachment 2219

To clear up any doubt, the cams run in the parent aluminum of the camcover and cylinder head. This is a proven method in engine design for 35 plus years. It does require tighter design and manufacturing tolerances with today's lower viscosity oils.

http://www.elioowners.com/threads/elio-engine-valvetrain.2305/reply?quote=38183

Hope this stuff helps.

Top Bottom