• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Fire Side Chat With Paul - 9 Sept

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The cam question is interesting, but kind of a pull-out on the winding road towards production .... and EM's capital requirements. Which is really the center of our concern. I sure wish I knew what Paul's "emergency angels" might be -- and hope they are never called upon to spread their wings! Let alone have a little bell ring while some amateur angel gets his wings for the first time ...

Last edited:

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Can a moderator put all the "cam info" over to the ELIO ENGINE thread?
I just hate it when the thread "drift".
Makes it a lot harder for research/search, responding.

Willie
It's only here because Paul said that the P5 engine is one of two for which parts were ordered ... not the actual engine tested in March, and not the production engine (which will have some tweaks from the "Engine #1" specs). But you're right, without other fresh info, we tend to pick on small points and play with them ... while waiting for the other shoe to drop.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Um yes, we should do this in the engine thread,, but , yes the cam doesn't change, there is some little bit that inserts itself when called for. So the lifter rides the eccono normally, then if called for the bit goes in and the lifter now rides the power profile.
Also yes, for power vs economy, the complete profile is different, timing to TDC, width and height, possibly even the overlap between exhaust and intake. The profile switch certainly will be for intake. I'm assuming they also switch the exhaust profile since that would be better and dual profiles is known 'kind' of technology.

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
In the below thread, the following is said about the engine being built for turbocharging:

Is the engine capable of forced induction like turbochargers or superchargers?This is a great question. The engine was not designed to be forced inducted. Forced induction needs to be designed as part to the engine architecture; the Elio engine was not designed for this. Forced induction cause more stress and strain on every component, from the base block, bearing caps, cylinder head gaskets and cylinder head bolts to the heat rejection needed because of the compressed air. In addition to designing an engine for forced induction, the cost of components are more expensive for these type of engines. One of Elio's major goals was an inexpensive highly efficient power train.

http://us6.campaign-archive1.com/?u=24b371802c83d81776b06aa68&id=4801365dc7

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Can a moderator put all the "cam info" over to the ELIO ENGINE thread?
I just hate it when the thread "drift".
Makes it a lot harder for research/search, responding.

Willie
I agree. Cars should drift, not threads. These posts should be moved. I have more to post about terminology and lift versus timing. Should I do it in this thread now or wait until these posts are moved?

For starters, "two-step variable" is not a good combination of words. The word "variable" usually implies infinitely variable. This system has two discrete profiles.

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The engine was not designed to handle ethanol. I hope it can handle blends which some pumps provide. The following was interesting:

Will the engine be able to run different fuel types?
The engine is not being designed currently to run on ethanol or other alternative fuels. It is being designed to perform efficiently on regular pump gasoline.

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
In Elio Motors Tech Talk v24, it says:

Why no Duel Over Head Cam (DOHC) or Variable Value Timing (VVT)?

Both of these technologies can help with fuel economy. However, both cost more than the current design parameter. As the product evolves, this technology could quite possibly be considered for future model years.

It is referring to the variable valve timing mechanism used with dual overhead cams. You know what I mean. The mechanism of a chain between two sprockets on two cams and the tensioner moves up or down. This is expensive and changes only the timing not the lift. I believe the Tech Talk is saying this expensive mechanism is not used. The two-step system is capable of not only changing the duration, but also the timing (and thus overlap). These two characteristics are easily changed by how the cam lobes are cut. This is a very good design.

http://us6.campaign-archive2.com/?u=24b371802c83d81776b06aa68&id=545e7f615f
http://www.elioowners.com/threads/elio-engine-valvetrain.2305/reply?quote=38183

Top Bottom