• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Food/recipe/restuarant Thread

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It's a little late in the season, but here's my award-winning Chili 2.0:

Mom was from Kansas. Although a wonderful cook, she knew nothing about Texas Chili; and her recipe reflected this gap in her education. Hers was best described as hamburger stew, with a few grains of chili powder, served with saltines. It was good, but calling it chili offends any Texan who samples it. It contained kidney beans, no peppers whatsoever, and only a little chili powder.

So it was out of necessity that I developed a traditional Texas Chili recipe (no beans, all cubed beef, sauce, and spices) several years ago, but it was so labor-intensive as to be impractical. Who wants to spend all day stirring the chili pot? I went back to Mom's original for a quick and easy dish . . .

The following is my update on her recipe for a simple, quick chili that is un-traditional in its ingredients, but gets raves wherever it is served. One of my California friends actually won a Texas chili cook-off with it in LA! For purists, the beans stretch the recipe and temper the peppers, and the corn replaces the use of Masa flour (hard to find outside of the Southwest) to “tighten” and add a unique flavor to the mix.

Chili 2.0:
Serves two ranch hands, or four ordinary people.

The basic recipe is simple and may easily be adjusted to taste or the contents of your pantry. Except for the ground beef and onion, all ingredients can be kept on hand until needed. It doubles, even quadruples easily when feeding a crowd.

Refrigerate overnight or freeze leftovers for an even better taste. Like most chili, stew and gumbo recipes, this actually benefits from preparation in large quantities. A thicker mix (produced either reducing or withholding some of the tomato sauce) makes an outstanding dip for corn chips!

Ingredients:
1-1/4 lb lean ground beef
1 large yellow onion
olive or canola oil (for us health nuts)
1 15-oz. can of tomato sauce
1 14.5-oz. can of diced tomatoes (drained, if you're making dip or to reduce simmer time)
1 15-oz. can of Ranch Style Beans (with jalapenos) with juice - that will thicken the mix
1 11-oz. can of whole kernel corn, drained.
Chili powder - about 2 tbsp.
Cumin - about 1-1/2 tsp.
Garlic or garlic powder
Salt
Cayenne pepper

Heat of the product is controlled by the use of cayenne. If you use Ranch Style Beans with jalapeños, you may want to omit the cayenne altogether. If you use regular pinto beans or red kidney beans, you will probably want to add more chili powder and a little cayenne. It's important to taste as you go, because some seasonings can get pretty weak if stored too long. I've been known to incinerate my family when I open a NEW bottle of cayenne without recalibrating my eyeball estimates. The recipe described here produces a moderately spicy dish, but you may want to adjust with more beans and corn to “thin” the mix if you over-spice it. If your dish is really fiery (strength of peppers varies seasonally, and fresh spices can be hair-raising), allow it to cool and spoon into microwave-safe containers, then refrigerate overnight to blend flavors.

In a 4-quart stew pot sauté large slices of onion in a tablespoon of oil. When onion is almost clear, add 1-1/4 lb of lean ground beef. Then add 1 Tbsp of chili powder, 1 tsp of garlic powder, 1 tsp of cumin, stir and brown over medium heat. When the pink disappears, pour off excess water and oil.

OK, hard part’s done.

While the onions, spices and hamburger cook, open the canned tomatoes, sauce, beans and corn. When it's ready, stir the canned ingredients into pot, taste, and add more spices (the original spices have been absorbed into the meat - this second shot will spice up the tomatoes, beans, sauce, and corn.

1 Tbsp of chili powder (yes, one more Tbsp)
½ tsp of cumin
2/3 tsp of salt, now, taste again.
½ tsp of cayenne pepper (more or less, as desired)

Stir and simmer on low heat for 30 minutes or more to blend flavors while you do the minimal clean up and take a shower ready for company. (up to an hour or so is still fine, this stuff takes care of itself).

Serve in large bowls, garnished with grated Jack or Colby cheese, chopped onion, and a few corn chips. This recipe is practically un-screw-uppable. You adjust to taste as you go, so fix it the way your family likes it.

Accompaniments - pick your favorites:
Cornbread
Corn or Flour tortillas
Cheese Nachos (chips topped with refried beans optional, plus onion, a slice of jalapeño, and a tsp. of grated Colby cheese – melted for a few minutes in the oven)
Beer (Dos Equis, or Superior – none of that fruity “light” stuff

By the way, make extra - you'll want it. Enjoy!

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
For a simple but outstanding dessert, here's one from my barbecue team that is bound to impress your guests. We served it at a charity barbecue cookoff, but it pairs well with almost anything.

Go to your local chocolatier and get a bar of quality semi-sweet dark chocolate. Forget Hershey's here, you need the real thing. On a dessert plate, shave off a few curls of the chocolate with a cheese slicer. If you're careful, you can get a nice 6" curl about an eighth of an inch thick and an inch and a half tall. Stand on edge on the plate and drizzle a little Chambord (black raspberry liqueur). You don't need a whole lot, that chocolate doesn't need to swim. You don't need a whole lot of chocolate either, this stuff's really rich. Four to six inches is good, depending on your friends' love for chocolate. Spring for a smallish bottle of the good Chambord (the stuff that comes in a bottle that looks like a Christmas tree ornament) and it'll serve you and your friends for a year or two - if you don't sit around and drink shots of it like my barbecue crew did. ;)

Yup, we won best dessert at our annual "wild game cookoff" with a dessert that took about 20 seconds to prepare. Some think we cheated. :p

2.ooohhh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If you find yourself looking for eats down in southern Florida around west palm beach give "leftovers" a try. The Indaroni is a favorite among our family, and eating there had become s spring training tradition.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Huli Huli Chicken

this is one of my favorite recipes ... we got it from one of my wife's nieces who was in living in Hawaii when he was stationed there .... by the way, Huli is pronounced Who-Lee .... it is said to be the favorite chicken/pork marinade in Hawaii .... I've tried both and using it on chicken is my favorite ... for the best results let the chicken/port marinade in the sauce overnight in the frig but it can be used with reasonable (but not optimal) results as little as an hour's marinade ... due to some of he components in the sauce, slow cooking at a low temperature on the grill is critical .... cooking at high temperatures will usually result in burnt meat .... basting the meat throughout the cooking process is recommended and produces a cooking aroma which is truly remarkable

1/3 cup ketchup
1/3 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup brown sugar
3 tablespoons sherry
2 1/2 teaspoons ginger root, crushed
1 clove garlic, crushed

Note:
1. makes enough to marinate approximately 5 pounds of meat .... you may need to make more to use to baste the meet while cooking

2. ginger root and garlic clove may be run through a blender, moisture needed to do so may be taken from soy sauce

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

Attachments

• 150326 004 Huli Huli Chicken  001.jpg
    150326 004 Huli Huli Chicken 001.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 201
  • 150326 004 Huli Huli Chicken  002.jpg
    150326 004 Huli Huli Chicken 002.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 219

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
grilled portobello mushrooms

3 - 4 portobello mushrooms
1/4 cup canola oil
3 tablespoons chopped onion
4 cloves garlic, minced
5 tablespoons Kikkoman Soy Sauce

Directions
Clean mushrooms and remove stems, reserve for other use. Place caps on a plate with the gills up. In a small bowl, combine the oil, onion, garlic and soy sauce. Pour mixture evenly over the mushroom caps and let stand for 1 hour. place on grill as shown below over medium temp grill for 10 minutes or until the marinade is steaming .... do not turn while cooking .... best if served warm .... can be kept in frig and microwaved to reheat

[Broken External Image]

Attachments

• 150326 005 Portobello Mushrooms  001.JPG
    150326 005 Portobello Mushrooms 001.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 212
Last edited:

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Stuffed Pork Tenderloin

1. we began with half of a large port tenderloin purchased at Sam's

[Broken External Image]

2 - 3. using a sharp knife (yep, I use my Buck) pick a point on the loin, and make about a half inch deep cut the length of the loin .... turn the blade so that you start making slice (sort of like filleting a fish) parallel to the surface of the loin .... continue making a half inch (roughly) slice as you work your way around the loin with the objective of creating a flat piece of pork

[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]

4. season as per your personal preference (we use TexJoy Steak Seasoning)

[Broken External Image]

5. fine chop onion, celery and a clove of fresh garlic .... simmer them in a butter/water mix until onions are clear

6. we added this to a box of WalMart house brand stuffing along with water as per directions on the box

[Broken External Image]

7. cover the pork with a layer (half inch or so thick) of the stuffing

[Broken External Image]

8. roll the loin back into a tube shape

9. using cotton cord, tie the loin so it can be cooked on the grill

10. place on a grill

[Broken External Image]

11. slow cook until internal temp reaches 170 degrees

[Broken External Image]

12. cross section

[Broken External Image]

Attachments

• 150326 006 Stuffed Pork Tenderloin  001.jpg
    150326 006 Stuffed Pork Tenderloin 001.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 207
  • 150326 006 Stuffed Pork Tenderloin  002.jpg
    150326 006 Stuffed Pork Tenderloin 002.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 219
  • 150326 006 Stuffed Pork Tenderloin  003.jpg
    150326 006 Stuffed Pork Tenderloin 003.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 210
  • 150326 006 Stuffed Pork Tenderloin  004.jpg
    150326 006 Stuffed Pork Tenderloin 004.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 207
  • 150326 006 Stuffed Pork Tenderloin  005.jpg
    150326 006 Stuffed Pork Tenderloin 005.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 216
  • 150326 006 Stuffed Pork Tenderloin  006.jpg
    150326 006 Stuffed Pork Tenderloin 006.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 236
  • 150326 006 Stuffed Pork Tenderloin  007.jpg
    150326 006 Stuffed Pork Tenderloin 007.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 211
  • 150326 006 Stuffed Pork Tenderloin  008.jpg
    150326 006 Stuffed Pork Tenderloin 008.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 200
  • 150326 006 Stuffed Pork Tenderloin  009.jpg
    150326 006 Stuffed Pork Tenderloin 009.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 220
  • 150326 006 Stuffed Pork Tenderloin  010.jpg
    150326 006 Stuffed Pork Tenderloin 010.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 211

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Not sure why, but the pics aren't showing up on my 'puter. Probably a good thing though because you're making me hungry just reading it. Sounds delicious! :)

PS - Throw some beer-soaked Pecan or Hickory [or both as I often do] woodchips in that recipe!:D

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
PS - Throw some beer-soaked Pecan or Hickory [or both as I often do] woodchips in that recipe!:D

understood on wood chips .... a separate thread could easily be justified for discussing the various grills folks finds work best for them .... for us, a Holland Companion that has been modified to accommodate a Smoke Daddy fills the bill .... it is with us as we travel the country about 6 months a year and when at home its setup on our deck .... it can be used for cold smoking (example with cheese) or hot smoking (example baby back pork ribs) .... the versatile Holland Companion fits my preference for slow cooking, it can even be used to bake a cake ....
150619 007 after hot smoking 1hr 001.jpg
150619 005 reverse view 001.jpg
150619 003 Cold Smoke 1hr 002.jpg

Last edited:

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Have never heard of a Holland Companion, but a quick Google search turn up an sweet little stainless steel grill...VERY nice! Should last forever! Perfect size for a traveler like yourself. I was a big Weber grill guy [still am] for many years, but two years ago bought an Oklahoma Joe Highland grill/smoker and love it. DEFINITELY NOT portable, I think it weighs about 250 lbs., but man, it sure is a well designed, and heavy-duty unit. Just did some stuffed Portobello mushrooms on it last night [had one for breakfast! :rolleyes:]. Maybe it would be a good separate "off topic" thread.

oklahoma joe.jpg

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Have never heard of a Holland Companion, but a quick Google search turn up an sweet little stainless steel grill...VERY nice! Should last forever! Perfect size for a traveler like yourself. I was a big Weber grill guy [still am] for many years, but two years ago bought an Oklahoma Joe Highland grill/smoker and love it. DEFINITELY NOT portable, I think it weighs about 250 lbs., but man, it sure is a well designed, and heavy-duty unit. Just did some stuffed Portobello mushrooms on it last night [had one for breakfast! :rolleyes:]. Maybe it would be a good separate "off topic" thread.

View attachment 5109

in my post above, the Holland Grill and Smoke Daddy are both links .... this is our the one shown above is our 2nd Companion .... we use it heavily for 12 years, it had cooked in all of the lower 48 states .... years of heating and cooling finally took its tole so we purchased the one we use now .... if a person likes slow, drama free cooking they are great .... we see bunches of ones shown in your link in Texas, they are very popular down there

Top Bottom