• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Guns And Stuff Related.

Bert

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I can save this thead:
What's the legal standing on transporting a firearm in the Elio? How can I seporate the gun without a propper trunk or glovebox? And it being registered as a motorcycle?

In Colorado it should be locked away, as is recommended in the books. However, as long as it isn't within "lunge distance" of occupants, you will be alright.

I am a sheepdog, I carry every tool I am legally allowed to use, If you understand this, you understand the World we view,

Last edited:

bowers baldwin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
In Colorado it should be lo med away. Howevsr, as long as it isn't within "lunge distancs" of occupants, you will be alright,
I am a sheepdog, I carry every tool I am legally allowed to use, If you understand this, you understand the World we view,
My problem is I often find myself in NJ, so the weapon has to come apart and be placed in different locations. I don't think Id chace getting into trouble until I get a clear view of where the law stands. My guess the motorcycle plates will mean I simply can't.

slinches

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I live in AZ. It's legal to carry concealed or open without a license here. We even have a law that says you can't get fired for bringing a gun onto company property as long as it stays locked in your vehicle.

bowers baldwin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I live in AZ. It's legal to carry concealed or open without a license here. We even have a law that says you can't get fired for bringing a gun onto company property as long as it stays locked in your vehicle.
I have a carry permit for PA, but it does nothing for NJ, there are horror stories that come out now and again where someone is simply moving across state or moving into the state and they get popped for having a gun in one piece in the car. I'll do a little snooping on the web later, but I'll bet the motorcycle classification will kill any chance of ever being legal to transport a firearm in an Elio in NJ..

bowers baldwin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Snooping is easy with Google:

All firearms transported into the State of New Jersey:
  • Shall be carried unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported, and in the course of travel, shall include only such deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances.
  • The firearm should not be directly accessible from the passenger compartment of the vehicle. If the vehicle does not have a compartment separate from the passenger compartment, the firearm and ammunition must be in a locked container other than the vehicle's glove compartment or console.
For additional exemptions refer to Chapter 39, namely 2C:39-6g.

http://www.njsp.org/firearms/transport-firearm.shtml

2C:39-5b - says it's illegal to possess a handgun without a permit to carry
2C:39-6f - says the above doesn't apply to someone transporting a firearm directly to/from a target range
2C:39-6g - says that when transporting under the above exemption, the firearm must be unloaded, and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the vehicle in which it is being transported.

http://www.njleg.state.nj.us

After some coffee, I will try to weed through some of the leagleeze, but it does seem if it were in a lockbox in the trunk area maybe..

Last edited:

slinches

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That's one more reason to never go to NJ then.

Although, if I recall, there's a federal law that permits transportation of firearms through any state if it's unloaded and inside a case as long as you're not staying in that state any longer than you need to to get across.

As usual, the NRA has a good summary here: https://www.nraila.org/articles/20150101/guide-to-the-interstate-transportation

Last edited:

bowers baldwin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That's one more reason to never go to NJ then.

Although, if I recall, there's a federal law that permits transportation of firearms through any state if it's unloaded and inside a case as long as you're not staying in that state any longer than you need to to get across.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Aitken

In 2009 he was arrested and later imprisoned for possession of handguns legally purchased in Colorado and transported in New Jersey from one residence to another. He was sentenced to seven years in prison.[4] On 20 December 2010, New Jersey Governor Chris Christie signed a letter ordering the immediate release of Aitken from Mid-State Correctional Facility.

Even though he was legally right he still spent time in the big house, I don't want to go though all that..

bowers baldwin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
True, just because something is legal doesn't mean you're safe. The only safe bet is to stay out of the NE all together. Too many tiny jurisdictions with their own quirky laws.
Easier said than done, I did field service for 27 years (mostly Phila pa) quite often I had NJ calls, so Id pull over, break down the weapon, remove the ammo, put the items in 3 different places, then cross the bridge to NJ. Never had any trouble, but I wasn't sure where the law would be on a cycle.
Now how am I going to put a gun rack in the Elio? sideways? anyway my rifle cases are 56" long, what were those truck dementions again?

Top Bottom